• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings1110

Mitch callahan

Rate this topic

As soon as he gains 50 lbs. and several inches of height, we'll see.

He's already at a good size for the NHL. Apparently he is up around 190 now and at 5'11 thats pretty damn sturdy.

He's been fighting 6'3 guys in the WHL regularly so I dont think size is a real problem either, he looks like he could eventually be a very solid 3rd liner with his development curve hes been on.

I started a thread in the offseason saying I wonder if he'll be considered as a 4th liner on the world junior team and most here didn't think so, that just shows how far his game has progressed over the course of the season. We might have a guy similar to Matt Cooke here (score 15 goals a year and agitate) just a tougher version that will fight more.

He's already at a good size for the NHL. Apparently he is up around 190 now and at 5'11 thats pretty damn sturdy.

He's been fighting 6'3 guys in the WHL regularly so I dont think size is a real problem either, he looks like he could eventually be a very solid 3rd liner with his development curve hes been on.

I started a thread in the offseason saying I wonder if he'll be considered as a 4th liner on the world junior team and most here didn't think so, that just shows how far his game has progressed over the course of the season. We might have a guy similar to Matt Cooke here (score 15 goals a year and agitate) just a tougher version that will fight more.

why would you use matt cooke as an example? that dunce should be out of the league, he is about as tough as a lady bug not to mention he is a cheap ******* who should have been exiled years ago

Edited by jollymania

why would you use matt cooke as an example? that dunce should be out of the league, he is about as tough as a lady bug not to mention he is a cheap ******* who should have been exiled years ago

Yah, that was a terrible comparision. No one wants a Matt Cooke, a less gifted Milan Lucic type who fights more seems more adequate.

Like it or not they play similar games. Both agitators, Cooke is one of the best offensive agitators around 15 a year and like I said, Callahan is a guy who plays tougher.

Oh not to mention that comparison came from Jim Nill so deal with it :rolleyes:

Yah, that was a terrible comparision. No one wants a Matt Cooke, a less gifted Milan Lucic type who fights more seems more adequate.

That comparison as terrible as you think it is came from the wings front office.

I'm trying to think of which website probably Mlive that covers training camp. They had a video interview of Callahan where they asked him how he felt of being compared to Cooke by Jim Nill and he said we play similar styles but I like to think I fight more. Like I said thats not even my comparison, thats from the mouth of Nill and Callahan themselves.

Callahan is not a Lucic type player, he doesn't have the size and isnt really a huge hitter for how much he fights. Hes an agitator that is a great pound for pound fighter that is starting to show a scoring touch.

I know everyone here hates Cooke and likes to think the wings are too classy to have that style of player but the head office compares him to Cooke and I'm sure they knew that when they drafted him. Maybe the wings aren't as concerned about class as some here like to think

Edited by newfy

Like it or not they play similar games. Both agitators, Cooke is one of the best offensive agitators around 15 a year and like I said, Callahan is a guy who plays tougher.

Oh not to mention that comparison came from Jim Nill so deal with it :rolleyes:

That comparison as terrible as you think it is came from the wings front office.

I'm trying to think of which website probably Mlive that covers training camp. They had a video interview of Callahan where they asked him how he felt of being compared to Cooke by Jim Nill and he said we play similar styles but I like to think I fight more. Like I said thats not even my comparison, thats from the mouth of Nill and Callahan themselves.

Callahan is not a Lucic type player, he doesn't have the size and isnt really a huge hitter for how much he fights. Hes an agitator that is a great pound for pound fighter that is starting to show a scoring touch.

I know everyone here hates Cooke and likes to think the wings are too classy to have that style of player but the head office compares him to Cooke and I'm sure they knew that when they drafted him. Maybe the wings aren't as concerned about class as some here like to think

For a team not concerned with class, they had no problems shipping Avery out.

For a team not concerned with class, they had no problems shipping Avery out.

Yeah but they would ship anyone out that is bad in the dressing room like Avery was. Averys style of play on the ice wasn't the reason they traded him and its notl ike they just got rid of him for nothing. He was a piece in a very big trade.

The wings drafted Callahan and compare him too 2 guys most often: Carcillo and Cooke. Two of the most classless players in the game haha. I really dont think the wings organization cares about how classys players are on the ice

Yeah but they would ship anyone out that is bad in the dressing room like Avery was. Averys style of play on the ice wasn't the reason they traded him and its notl ike they just got rid of him for nothing. He was a piece in a very big trade.

The wings drafted Callahan and compare him too 2 guys most often: Carcillo and Cooke. Two of the most classless players in the game haha. I really dont think the wings organization cares about how classys players are on the ice

THe thing is cooke shouldn't be in the league, I would hate to have to root for a guy like that. Best case scenario I think is that he turns into something like Nichol, small guy who crunches guys, agitates, and doesn't have so many boneheaded incidents

THe thing is cooke shouldn't be in the league, I would hate to have to root for a guy like that. Best case scenario I think is that he turns into something like Nichol, small guy who crunches guys, agitates, and doesn't have so many boneheaded incidents

Callahan doesn't have a history of a lot of dirty plays but I dont think you have a great read on him.

For the style of game he plays he mucks in corners but he is not much of a big hitter at all, he is going to be one of the top middle weight fighters in the league if he makes it. He's only lost like 4 fights out of 50 in his junior career. Think like Rypien level fighting. He also has some pretty good hands but is not a big hitter, hes a hard worker in the corners however.

You say Cooke is a bad comparison but what is Scott Nichol? An agitator that has had some dirty plays and is pretty good for what he does.

The only difference between Cooke and Nichol's style really is that Cooke can be counted on to score more.

So if you would really rather have a guy with Nichol's style (a Matt cooke with less scoring) then so be it but I'll take the guy who agitates and scores

Callahan doesn't have a history of a lot of dirty plays but I dont think you have a great read on him.

For the style of game he plays he mucks in corners but he is not much of a big hitter at all, he is going to be one of the top middle weight fighters in the league if he makes it. He's only lost like 4 fights out of 50 in his junior career. Think like Rypien level fighting. He also has some pretty good hands but is not a big hitter, hes a hard worker in the corners however.

You say Cooke is a bad comparison but what is Scott Nichol? An agitator that has had some dirty plays and is pretty good for what he does.

The only difference between Cooke and Nichol's style really is that Cooke can be counted on to score more.

So if you would really rather have a guy with Nichol's style (a Matt cooke with less scoring) then so be it but I'll take the guy who agitates and scores

I would rather him put up more points than cooke, keep in mind cooke gets time with crosby and malkin. And I don't really see the point of grinders who don't have physicality in their game, which is one of the reasons I don't mind benching miller, he is an amazing pk killer which saves him, but part of the 3rd/4th liners jobs is to be physical, playing a physical game includes big hits, Rick Rypien is probably the least intimidating of all grinders, he hasn't had hardly any hits at all, he is a skating pylon for 40 seconds unless someone wants to fight him, he isn't strong like other small guys and it seems you could just toss his light frame around in the corners. Where as if you try to hit guys like nichol, or even star players like datsyuk you are going to get a rough ride. Anybody in the nhl can muck in the corner pretty much beside alex semin and jiri hudler, saying that is one of your main skills isn't promising.

Edited by jollymania

I would rather him put up more points than cooke, keep in mind cooke gets time with crosby and malkin. And I don't really see the point of grinders who don't have physicality in their game, which is one of the reasons I don't mind benching miller, he is an amazing pk killer which saves him, but part of the 3rd/4th liners jobs is to be physical, playing a physical game includes big hits, Rick Rypien is probably the least intimidating of all grinders, he hasn't had hardly any hits at all, he is a skating pylon for 40 seconds unless someone wants to fight him, he isn't strong like other small guys and it seems you could just toss his light frame around in the corners. Where as if you try to hit guys like nichol, or even star players like datsyuk you are going to get a rough ride. Anybody in the nhl can muck in the corner pretty much beside alex semin and jiri hudler, saying that is one of your main skills isn't promising.

Being great in the corners is a great asset to have for killing penalties. I'm not saying like average, hes very good in the corners. And he is still physical just not as big of a hitter as you would expect from someone who beats up 6'3 guys consistently. He gets in on the forecheck and will have some big hits on the D but he is not Kronwall out there or anything.

And dont get your hopes up for him to be much more then a 15 goal scorer, sur ehe might be able to do it but scoring is not his game. The scoring is there but he agitates first and foremost

Being great in the corners is a great asset to have for killing penalties. I'm not saying like average, hes very good in the corners. And he is still physical just not as big of a hitter as you would expect from someone who beats up 6'3 guys consistently. He gets in on the forecheck and will have some big hits on the D but he is not Kronwall out there or anything.

And dont get your hopes up for him to be much more then a 15 goal scorer, sur ehe might be able to do it but scoring is not his game. The scoring is there but he agitates first and foremost

I don't think he will be more than a 15 goal scorer, and I think the reason why cooke is is because occasionally plays with crosby or malkin, im not saying callahan wouldn't end up with datsyuk or z every once in a while but it seems like it would be considerably less of an occurrence than cooke with crosby or malkin, but I think callahan can put decent amount of overall points playing with guys like abdelkader or helm on the 3rd line if they all develop to the levels that they are capable of

I don't think he will be more than a 15 goal scorer, and I think the reason why cooke is is because occasionally plays with crosby or malkin, im not saying callahan wouldn't end up with datsyuk or z every once in a while but it seems like it would be considerably less of an occurrence than cooke with crosby or malkin, but I think callahan can put decent amount of overall points playing with guys like abdelkader or helm on the 3rd line if they all develop to the levels that they are capable of

Yeah I think youre right. Abdelkader and Callahan would be a pretty sweet duo to watch too. Imagine Abdelkader out there running everything that moves, Callahan punchign everything that has a problem with it and at least Abdelkader will be able to score clutch goals he's proven.

These 2 could really be a grind line revival

Yeah I think youre right. Abdelkader and Callahan would be a pretty sweet duo to watch too. Imagine Abdelkader out there running everything that moves, Callahan punchign everything that has a problem with it and at least Abdelkader will be able to score clutch goals he's proven.

These 2 could really be a grind line revival

that is what i hope for for callahan, and don't forget helm, who if he works on his abilities could become a good puck distributor for the two

Edited by jollymania

that is what i hope for for callahan, and don't forget helm, who if he works on his abilities could become a good puck distributor for the two

Abby Helm Callahan would basically be what the grind line was for us. Abby is like Maltby (except a bit tougher), Helm is like Drapes and Callahan will basically be a Mccarty probably. Mac fought the heavies but wasn't the biggest or most feared fighter in the league, I think Callahan will be right around that level.

If Helm and Abby can become stronger defensively and continue to become very good penalty killers we will prettymuch have a carbon copy of the grind line

I'd love to see him become a 25-30 point guy, while still dropping the gloves when the need arises. I think any guy who's going to be an "enforcer" for Detroit has to excel in other areas of the game as well. I wouldn't wanna see him get heavier than 200-210 pounds, that way he maintains his speed as well.