• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:17 PM

Would anyone know where I could find a font that looks similar to this?

Posted Image

Your any-time FSD online source, with pre and post game coverage along with any Red Wings specials.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#2 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

I heard that most states use a font called "Interstate" for most of their traffic signs, although comparing some of the samples from http://new.myfonts.c...eau/interstate/ with the font from the "BEGIN ONLY" sign, I don't think they're quite that similar. Dafont has another option called Blue Highway (http://www.dafont.co...ue-highway.font) that also loosely resembles it, but its still not exact. Good luck with whatever project you're working on and I hope that helps!

#3 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

But seriously, your best bet is probably this: http://www.dafont.com/criticized.font

Go with four layers to get that complete look they use in the "G" The highest layer being smallest and red, second layer down slightly larger and white, third layer down slightly larger and red, then the fourth layer slightly larger and white with a very soft brush to get that background glow effect.

#4 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

Wouldn't increasing the size of the font for each layer not line up correctly? I have a feeling the horizontal aspect of the font would be different, not sure if it would be a 1:1 size increase.
Ya, it doesn't line up nicely, the change in the diameter makes the difference. It's almost like you need the same size for all 4 layers just increase the line thickness.

Also, in your first response did you think I was referring to the traffic sign....I had to like re-read what you posted like 3 times.

Edited by drumnj, 10 December 2010 - 01:33 PM.

Your any-time FSD online source, with pre and post game coverage along with any Red Wings specials.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!

#5 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

Wouldn't increasing the size of the font for each layer not line up correctly? I have a feeling the horizontal aspect of the font would be different, not sure if it would be a 1:1 size increase.
Ya, it doesn't line up nicely, the change in the diameter makes the difference. It's almost like you need the same size for all 4 layers just increase the line thickness.

Also, in your first response did you think I was referring to the traffic sign....I had to like re-read what you posted like 3 times.

You're right, I didn't think that through completely. You would need all layers to be the same size, but just the thickness to decrease. I can't think of a quick and easy way to get that effect; just the dirty manual method that involves just eyeballing it.

As for the first post it was supposed to be a joke...

#6 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:47 PM

There's no need for 4 layers. I recommend using Illustrator and simply creating two layers of type. The top layer having a red fill with a white stroke, the bottom being the red stroke. Convert the type to an outline to keep the strokes from resizing if you need to reduce or expand the size.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#7 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:36 AM

There's no need for 4 layers. I recommend using Illustrator and simply creating two layers of type. The top layer having a red fill with a white stroke, the bottom being the red stroke. Convert the type to an outline to keep the strokes from resizing if you need to reduce or expand the size.

I wish I had Illustrator, but unfortunately no. I'll have to find someone with it and go from there. Would of been nice to find a font that had the letters pre-done with the white layers permanent and could change the color on the other layers. I did put together something in Publisher with wordart; not the best, but good for now. I'll try to get something done in Illustrator at another time.

Oh, and Echolalia...great find on the font. It's pretty much spot on.

Edited by drumnj, 14 December 2010 - 02:37 AM.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!

#8 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

I wish I had Illustrator, but unfortunately no. I'll have to find someone with it and go from there. Would of been nice to find a font that had the letters pre-done with the white layers permanent and could change the color on the other layers. I did put together something in Publisher with wordart; not the best, but good for now. I'll try to get something done in Illustrator at another time.

Oh, and Echolalia...great find on the font. It's pretty much spot on.

I just recommend Illustrator because it produces the cleanest type out of the Creative Suites (with the exception of InDesign, which is for publications). The general idea remains the same and you could use the same technique in any program. If you need a hand with something, though, you could just shoot me a PM.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users