• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest mindfly

Daniel Larsson's comments on Osgood&Howard

Rate this topic

I say give him a shot. If he backs up his word sweet, if not then he is humbled quickly and we can all move on with our lives. I'm glad you people aren't GM's, Patrick Roy was always a cocky piece of s*** I'm sure you all would have shipped him off because of his personality to. You don't have to love the players, as long as they put 100% on the ice, and help there team win who gives a s***.

Yes, it was stupid.

Osgood has 3 rings. Two as a starter. A conn smythe run in 2009. Howard bailed his team out last season in his first year after being questioned whether he could hack it or not.

What has Larsson done to warrant his answers? Nothing. He is essentially a nobody going after his potential teammates (Osgood a potential goaltending coach) because he doesn't feel he needs to pay his dues.

He is selfish. Plain and simple. Thankfully Holland doesn't share your "insight" and cares more about the team than the individual.

Question: Would it be appropriate for a guy like Miller to complain about being scratched by saying that Draper is done? Do you think Babcock would appreciate those comments?

Osgood is done, sorry not everyone is kissing his ass for what he has done in the past.... Also as far as your question is concerned, you don't think players like Eaves, Miller, hell even Muzak are wondering why the f*** Draper and Hudler have spots over them?

Edited by ben_usmc

Guest Crymson

You're surprised/upset? Mr. Holocaust story?

This is about young-and-rash Larsson. You were making the same claim about Lidstrom. As it was best put by Bob Cole, "I don't think there's a finer gentleman in the league than this captain for Detroit."

Guest mindfly

You're surprised/upset? Mr. Holocaust story?

I just don't see a reason for you not to believe me.

And btw, what's up with osgood's apparent alcohol problem, everyone is talking about it so it can't just be a wild rumour...he had a long break in the 08/09 season to get his season together, i wonder what the real reason was for that break..

Edited by mindfly

#1 What Larsson did was stupid.

#2 Unless he is willing to take 850 k to be Jimmy's back-up next year he won't be in Detroit

#3 Even if he does come back over to be Jimmy's backup he will have to compete with an NHL veteran that the Wing's will sign as an insurance policy

#4 He will likely lose that battle and be assigned to Grand Rapids

#5 He will then go back to Sweden

Moral of the story folks:

#1 Stefan Liv was also once one of Sweden's best goalies...look at his NHL success

Edit: Success in other leagues (Sweden, KHL, College, Juniors, AHL) does not always equate to success in the NHL

#2 He isn't worth a spot on the 50 man organizational roster and should just be told to enjoy the SEL

#3 Larsson never impressed me much in Grand Rapids anyways

Edit: #4 Its a rare player that comes straight to the Red Wings system from anywhere - Juniors, Russia, Sweden, College and make the Wings in less than 2 years. Dan Larsson never showed that he was one of those rare players.

I agree with how the situation most likely will play out. However with your moral of the story I completly disagree with #3 because I'm sure most didn't think Franzen would be as impactful as he were, or that Hudler would be better than he currently is. My point being is I wouldn't rush to judgement on how effective a player can be in the NHL compared to the AHL until you actually get to visit them. Weren't people even saying Howard was doing eh in the AHL?

This is about young-and-rash Larsson. You were making the same claim about Lidstrom. As it was best put by Bob Cole, "I don't think there's a finer gentleman in the league than this captain for Detroit."

What did I say about Lidstrom?

And btw, what's up with osgood's apparent alcohol problem, everyone is talking about it so it can't just be a wild rumour...he had a long break in the 08/09 season to get his season together, i wonder what the real reason was for that break..

Yeah that's what a few people have said about that long break too. Oh well.

Larsson has some valid points for sure. He did play better in the AHL than Howard did, and at this point he could very well be a better goalie than Osgood. With that in mind, that's just not how the Red Wings' management likes their players to act. Hell, that's not how the NHL likes their players to act, period. Do I think some players should boast a bit more? Sure... I'm cool with Subban and his swagger (f*** you Panger, lol j/k). But just who the hell does the guy think he is? He's proven NOTHING at the NHL level... awesome, you're good in Sweden and decent in the AHL. Way to go champ.

In my opinion, no player should put himself above the team and Larsson is doing just that with his comments. The Red Wings have shown that they prefer a guy who buys into the team philosophy over one with his own agenda, regardless of their talent (Avery comes to mind). Larsson's future as a Red Wing, in my opinion, is over.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that Osgood has become completely unreliable. Based solely on skill, I'd take a shot at letting Larsson be our back-up, but with these comments I have a very hard time seeing the Red Wings giving him the job next season.

I say give him a shot. If he backs up his word sweet, if not then he is humbled quickly and we can all move on with our lives. I'm glad you people aren't GM's, Patrick Roy was always a cocky piece of s*** I'm sure you all would have shipped him off because of his personality to. You don't have to love the players, as long as they put 100% on the ice, and help there team win who gives a s***.

Patrick Roy could back it up. Larsson hasn't backed up anything. He is a nobody, and he needs to understand he isn't somebody till he actually does something of relevance.

Osgood is done, sorry not everyone is kissing his ass for what he has done in the past....

I'm not asking for Larsson to kiss his ass. I'm saying him downright bashing him based on his stellar AHL career (oh boy Vezina candidacy here we come) is asinine.

Also as far as your question is concerned, you don't think players like Eaves, Miller, hell even Muzak are wondering why the f*** Draper and Hudler have spots over them?

Congrats on ignoring the premise of the question. Miller and Eaves can be pissed (Mursak wouldn't be on the team regardless so he has no reason to be pissed about the other two) but they would get benched quick if they started publicly bashing their own teammates.

It's called being a team player. Apparently some of the "experts" at LGW can't understand that concept.

Realists versus people living in the past :siren:

Right, because the "realists" aren't applauding Larsson for living in two years ago while Howard is playing well as an NHL starter NOW?

Actually, the logical majority of us aren't even "living in the past", just that you don't get respect by attacking players who have done much more than you have.

I just don't see a reason for you not to believe me.

You are honestly like a mentally retarded rumor monger.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Mindfly is not exaggerating the article. At all.

If anything his translation toned it down somewhat.

He translated "sopade mattan med honom" as "heavily outplayed".

What it really means is"I wiped the floors with him".

And yes, Mindfly is 100% correct when he says that Swedish players tend to let go of their extreme media-training when talking to Swedish journalists.

This has always been true.

Forsberg, for example seems like he is very careful with his words when he's being interviewed by North American media, to us Swedes.

I know he seems quite outspoken to you, but that's compared to the rest of the well-behaved players. In Swedish media? You'd be shocked.

Same goes for people like Sundin and a lot of the other Swedish players. Even Franzén.

Douglas Murray would probably make you laugh in amazement.

You'd be suprised if you ever heard what Lidström has to say to Swedish media.

He's no loud-mouth to be sure, he's quite reserved, even for a Swede, but he'll lay the truth down.

As much as I think the guy is cocky, if he's as good as he says he is, I'm all for him playin next year.

But even though osgood's time is up (like maltby's was), I'm still gonna die a little bit inside as another member of the red wings teams that I first remember leaves...(Like I did when maltby left) :( :(

If he was as good as he says he is, he'd already be in the Wings lineup.

Weird how the guy he "mopped the floor with" in the AHL is the Wings starting goaltender while Larsson is shooting his mouth off in Sweden.

It's one thing to be cocky when you're Patrick Roy. It doesn't make you any less of an *******, but it at least means you're an ******* who's also a great goaltender. When you're a 24 yr old who hasn't done anything in his career, it just makes you an *******.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Alright, some pretty stupid crap to say. But then again, most of the good goalies are a bit nuts. If he's that damned eager, and can show some improvement in his conditioning this year, let him have his NHL shot. If he sucks, he gets to ride the pine until he gets traded to Edmonton, and jokes on him.

Maybe he's not the classiest guy there is, but you don't give up on your prospects because of personality flaws. You put them in and see what they can do. Ultimately, you have to assess their value because you've already expended picks and resources on them. Remember, these guys are just kids at this point. There is a lot of room for growing both on the ice and in how they carry themselves.

Rolling the dice constitutes making a gamble that might get you ahead.

Insulting the goaltenders who are above you on the depth chart is not an example of rolling the dice. It is an example of an individual who is currently too immature and too petty to be respectful towards others in his organization.

At this point in time rolling the dice on MacDonald over Osgood might get you ahead. Rolling the dice on a young healthy and hungry swede with a big mouth and a desire to play and win would also be a bet that would get you ahead over a should be retired vet that "feels great out there" and "is going in the right direction" yet continues to fail when he gets his chance to show he still has it.

I'm beginning to think that you're just trolling.

How am I trolling? I've been a member here for years. Don't trolls join just for the sake of starting arguments with people then leave? Unless by trolling you mean not wearing your brand of rosey red coloured glasses and sharing the same boner for Osgood as you then yes, I am a troll.

To throw my $0.02 in the pot, a troll isn't necessarily a poster who has recently signed up nor is trolling as an activity restricted to just newly-registered members.

I don't know that I'd specifically call what you're doing "trolling" per se, but accusing people defending Osgood of having a "boner" for him isn't exactly in the Harvard Debate Club rule book.

Edited by Electrophile

How am I trolling? I've been a member here for years. Don't trolls join just for the sake of starting arguments with people then leave? Unless by trolling you mean not wearing your brand of rosey red coloured glasses and sharing the same boner for Osgood as you then yes, I am a troll.

That's what people like you and ben_umsc aren't getting or purposefully ignoring. We get that Osgood is close to retiring. Everybody gets that he is currently the back up goalie. Nobody is kissing his rear end. But since you all have such an extreme view of him the opposite way, you all act like a'holes and think that just because other people don't think he is playing subpar, we're all Osgood slappies.

I will repeat, and get it through your think skull, that it has nothing to do with us or fans thinking Osgood will revert to demi-god form or that he'll play like the 2008 playoffs. That is the last thing this thread it is about. It is about knowing your place in an organization and paying respect to people who have been in this organziation longer than you, have accomplished more than you, and know how to go through the NHL grind and stress.

Howard has done that. Osgood has done that. Larsson has not done that, hence him coming off like an a'hole.

Got it?

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Guest scottj

That's what people like you and ben_umsc aren't getting or purposefully ignoring. We get that Osgood is close to retiring. Everybody gets that he is currently the back up goalie. Nobody is kissing his rear end. But since you all have such an extreme view of him the opposite way, you all act like a'holes and think that just because other people don't think he is playing subpar, we're all Osgood slappies.

I will repeat, and get it through your think skull, that it has nothing to do with us or fans thinking Osgood will revert to demi-god form or that he'll play like the 2008 playoffs. That is the last thing this thread it is about. It is about knowing your place in an organization and paying respect to people who have been in this organziation longer than you, have accomplished more than you, and know how to go through the NHL grind and stress.

Howard has done that. Osgood has done that. Larsson has not done that, hence him coming off like an a'hole.

Got it?

Amen

I don't mind the attitude. It's rude sure but way better than Axelsson or Omark. You think Osgood really cares what this pip-squeek thinks? You think Howard will be insulted by this, or see it more as a reason to play better? He didn't dump on the team and management then burn his bridges like Axelsson and he didn't insult the GM and his teammates the way Omark did. In an organization like the Detroit Red Wings, yes you need to show respect, but a little smack talk never hurt anyone.

Sure, he still needs to prove that he should get to play for the big boys up in the NHL, but if whether he shows his thing in the SEL, KHL or AHL doesn't matter much to me and given his success so far this season and the response from Håkan Andersson seems optimistic to say the least. It's more important that he takes the No. 1 spot with the national team...

Got it?

After reading through this thread, I was going to post something like this. You couldn't have said it better. Well done.

Got it?

first off i totally agree with this. as usual, its devolved into total hyperbole, but as you stated, most are pretty rational.

also, in the past i gave you a hard time for only having drive by 1 liners, so i thank you for taking the time to have a post like this that tries to find a middle ground and contributes to the thread. obviously you dont need my approval or anything, just want to say i appreciate it. :thumbup: