• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#41 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

Like I said before: you don't bash the winningest goaltender in Detroit Red Wings history just because you believe he is done.

That isn't being eager, it's being selfish and stupid.

Well I might not do it and you might not do it but Larsson see's where he and the team can benefit and spoke his mind when asked about it. Keep in mind that something is always lost in translation... perhaps in Swedish it didn't come across as harsh?!

#42 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

It came across very harsh in swedish and that rough translation is pretty s***.

#43 scottj

scottj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

One of the things I like most about howard, besides for his sweet rebound control of course, is his humble and not easily deflated attitude... This guy doesn't seem to have any of these traits. He seems just a tad bit cocky and self entitled... I'm preeeettttyyyy sure our guys making the roster changes have a better eye than you larsson. I don't think there was a conspiracy by holland to make howard the goalie if you're really that much better.

I don't know if he was trying to hint to the wings that he still wants to play by being so rash, but he said it the wrong way and he comes off as a retard. Hopefully if he does come back, he won't be doin any interviews til he grows up a lil bit.

#44 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:23 PM

I like his comments and he is 100% spot on... Osgood is done! I think they should give Larsson a shot next season as Howards backup to start and see if he can steal the show from him. So long as its a healthy competition and not in bad blood... do it! Right now Howard plays well enough and has to be over-played because Osgood is garbage. It's time to move on and why not let Larsson have his chance?!

Up until a few days ago I would've jumped on ya since I've always believed in the fact that Ozzie still has some gas left in the tank - however since I've read miller76 post of Ozzie getting drunk at a watering hole in the Phoenix area a night before a game - I get the impression he may very well be collecting his paycheck, and doing what he needs to do to avoid sitting in the press box.

That said I'm now thinking Ozzie will retire after this season, and I'm all for someone else stepping up to the challenge of taking Howard's spot, or being his back-up.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#45 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:29 PM

Up until a few days ago I would've jumped on ya since I've always believed in the fact that Ozzie still has some gas left in the tank - however since I've read miller76 post of Ozzie getting drunk at a watering hole in the Phoenix area a night before a game - I get the impression he may very well be collecting his paycheck, and doing what he needs to do to avoid sitting in the press box.

That said I'm now thinking Ozzie will retire after this season, and I'm all for someone else stepping up to the challenge of taking Howard's spot, or being his back-up.

I Missed that post... can you link me to it?

Osgood might have some thing left in the tank (although it has yet to be seen) but Larsson is filled to the rim with piss and vinegar and we need that more than an aging goaltender fighting to prove he still has a little something possibly. I want to see a healthy tug of war (like Hasek/Osgood had) not one guy getting worn out and the other "finding his rythm"

#46 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:40 PM

Osgood might have some thing left in the tank (although it has yet to be seen) but Larsson is filled to the rim with piss and vinegar and we need that more than an aging goaltender fighting to prove he still has a little something possibly. I want to see a healthy tug of war (like Hasek/Osgood had) not one guy getting worn out and the other "finding his rythm"

pm sent

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#47 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

pm sent

Seems silly to send it to one single person instead of let the public see.

If it was such a big story you would think lgw would be freaking out about it by now.

Posted Image

#48 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

Osgood's success is in his past and what he's shown the recent few seasons is that he does not know or have what it takes to win anymore. Osgood always saying, "I feel great out there" and "I'm going in the right direction" while he is always losing is whats idiotic. An eager young goalie voicing his wanting to contribute now and pointing out the obvious (that he is better suited for Osgood's current job) is a tad cocky but he is wanting his chance. I say let Osgood retire and let the healthy competition between Howard and Larsson flourish as it will only make the both of them play harder and better. Howard having Osgood behind him barely able to handle the odd relief game is not going to serve as a motivating factor nor will it give him the breathers he requires.

Regardless of what YOU or Larsson thinks of Osgood or whether somebody is close to retiring, you do not disrespect somebody who has been through the ringer plenty.

You have to earn the right to disrespect somebody on a team, and Larsson hasn't earned s**t yet. He hasn't even come close to an inkling of disrespecting Jimmy Howard, and Howard's only played 1 1/2 full seasons of hockey.

#49 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

Regardless of what YOU or Larsson thinks of Osgood or whether somebody is close to retiring, you do not disrespect somebody who has been through the ringer plenty.

You have to earn the right to disrespect somebody on a team, and Larsson hasn't earned s**t yet. He hasn't even come close to an inkling of disrespecting Jimmy Howard, and Howard's only played 1 1/2 full seasons of hockey.

He was asked a question and gave an honest answer... Him pointing out the facts isn't any more disrespectful then Osgood pretending he can still play. This year is set but next year there needs to be a better duo in net and I think Larsson could provide that at a minimum and more potentially!

#50 scottj

scottj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

As much as I think the guy is cocky, if he's as good as he says he is, I'm all for him playin next year.

But even though osgood's time is up (like maltby's was), I'm still gonna die a little bit inside as another member of the red wings teams that I first remember leaves...(Like I did when maltby left) :( :(

#51 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

He was asked a question and gave an honest answer... Him pointing out the facts isn't any more disrespectful then Osgood pretending he can still play. This year is set but next year there needs to be a better duo in net and I think Larsson could provide that at a minimum and more potentially!

Again, he handled the question terribly. It makes him come off like an arrogant pr**k.

Again, regardless of what YOU or he thinks of Osgood or Howard, you have to earn the right to disrespect somebody on a team like that. And he hasn't even played one millisecond in the NHL. He has no clue what it is like to go through the grind. Not like Howard has for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 seasons, and definitely not like Osgood has for as long as his career.

There is confidence and cockiness, and there is being an arrogant pr**k. If this translation is accurate, Larsson is being an arrogant pr**k.

If you haven't played in this league or have very limited experience, you better know your place and respect people who have been through this league and know how to survive the grind, whether they are a superstar, fringe 4th liner, or backup goalie.

If I were Howard or Osgood or a teammmate and I hear a similar guy in the system saying stuff like this who hasn't been through the rigors, I'd punch his face out for being an idiot.

#52 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

this is very serious
here is my serious face ._.
do you see that larsson
how serious i am?

Edited by Stolberg, 09 December 2010 - 02:16 PM.

#53 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:22 PM

Again, he handled the question terribly. It makes him come off like an arrogant pr**k.

Again, regardless of what YOU or he thinks of Osgood or Howard, you have to earn the right to disrespect somebody on a team like that. And he hasn't even played one millisecond in the NHL. He has no clue what it is like to go through the grind. Not like Howard has for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 seasons, and definitely not like Osgood has for as long as his career.

There is confidence and cockiness, and there is being an arrogant pr**k. If this translation is accurate, Larsson is being an arrogant pr**k.

If you haven't played in this league or have very limited experience, you better know your place and respect people who have been through this league and know how to survive the grind, whether they are a superstar, fringe 4th liner, or backup goalie.

If I were Howard or Osgood or a teammmate and I hear a similar guy in the system saying stuff like this who hasn't been through the rigors, I'd punch his face out for being an idiot.

Pointing out the facts is not disrespectful if they are true... perhaps the time and place they are stated could lend to being disrespectful but he was asked during an interview and gave his opinion. Had he pulled an Avery I could agree but what was he supposed to do, Lie about the facts? What does he owe Osgood? Osgood's career was what it was but it also is what it is and what it is right now is denying a legit young player the chance to make his name. The kid was giving Howard a run for his money in the AHL coming to a new country and playing in a different style/team/ everything... How long was Howard already in the AHL at that time?

Edited by The Secret, 09 December 2010 - 02:25 PM.

#54 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:23 PM

If Larsson's comments were indicative of his overall attitude, then the team doesn't need him. Players like that are poor for the team dynamic and cause problems in the locker room. It's likely that this is the reason Holland never brings them onto the team.

#55 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:28 PM

Pointing out the facts is not disrespectful if they are true...

True? Osgoood had a pretty damn good game against LA and despite this being his final year he is doing fine as a backup.

Larsson is a nobody taking pot shots at Osgood to justify him deserving to be on the Wings roster. He doesn't deserve it.

perhaps the time and place they are stated could lend to being disrespectful but he was asked during an interview and gave his opinion.

What was the question? And in the context of the question what forced him to say that he outplayed Howard and that Osgood was done?

Had he pulled an Avery I could agree but what was he supposed to do, Lie about the facts? What does he owe Osgood? Osgood's career was what it was but it also is what it is and what it is right now is denying a legit young player the chance to make his name. The kid was giving Howard a run for his money in the AHL coming to a new country and playing in a different style/team/ everything... How long was Howard already in the AHL at that time?

He isn't being denied. He just hasn't done anything worth bringing him up, and he can't understand that.

What confidence is a team going to have in a goaltender that thinks he doesn't have to pay his dues? There is being mad, and then there is doing this.

Posted Image

#56 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:32 PM

Pointing out the facts is not disrespectful if they are true...

They are not true, they are subjective to each individual person. Even you. And even Larsson.

perhaps the time and place they are stated could lend to being disrespectful but he was asked during an interview and gave his opinion. Had he pulled an Avery I could agree but what was he supposed to do, Lie about the facts? What does he owe Osgood? Osgood's career was what it was but it also is what it is and what it is right now is denying a legit young player the chance to make his name.

He owes Osgood and Howard and other goalies the respect they deserve of knowing how to play goalie in the best league of them all and having experience to deal with issues on and off the ice, regardless of how good or bad they might be. Not a hard thing to do.

The kid was giving Howard a run for his money in the AHL coming to a new country and playing in a different style/team/ everything... How long was Howard already in the AHL at that time?

I can't comment on the AHL careers accurately, but Howard has been through the NHL grind so far, Larsson has not, fair or not.

It's one thing to be confident and cocky, it's another to be an arrogant pr**k. Larsson is being an arrogant pr**k and throwing the blame card around and is acting like life isn't fair because I didn't get picked first in gym class.

#57 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

Larsson needs to show a little respect.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#58 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

That translation sounds just a tad on the bitter side.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#59 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:42 PM

That translation sounds just a tad on the bitter side.

The auto-translation is not correct, the other swedes on the forum can confirm this

#60 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:46 PM

I'm busy counting how many times Larsson's name is on the Stanley Cup.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.