• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest mindfly

Daniel Larsson's comments on Osgood&Howard

Rate this topic

These are my impressions of Larsson's situation right now. Feel free to correct anything. The comments below have nothing to do with his obviously idiotic comments to the Swedish press.

I just think Larsson is very confused about his situation with the Red Wings. After camp in 2008 or 2009 (I'm not exactly sure), Zetterberg raved about Larsson's game and hinted that he could definitely be the goalie of the future for the Wings. I guarentee you those comments are in the archives of George Malik's old blog. He worked hard for two years in GR, played pretty well and earned the respect and admiration of Curt Fraser, who many times claimed Larsson either stole a bunch of games for the Griffins or was the reason why they were able to keep it close. He played two solid years in the AHL, met with Kenny and Co. and came away with the impression that he wasn't going to get much of a shot at an NHL spot.

At the same time, he didn't feel like his game was getting better in the AHL. In fact, he felt as if he was starting to take steps backwards. For one he didn't feel as if he got enough support as far as goaltending coaching goes, which is obviously very important. Also, there seems to be an ongoing debate in terms of what's important and what isn't in regards to what a goalie should work on in order to take forward steps towards the NHL. Larsson obviously felt that the aspects he thought were important are more evident in the SEL as opposed to AHL (He might be thinking in terms of skill, intelligence, anticipation, etc.). He probably also feels as if he's learned all he can about being a goalie on a smaller North American rink (at a level lesser than the NHL) and having things come at you faster. And he might be right because he played a full two years and it is possible for that happen in that time span. Overall he believes that if he goes back to the AHL his game will deteriorate and hinder his chances at becoming a quality NHL goaltender. It's not like his current preference for the SEL is the opinion of himself and a few others. Many people, mostly in Sweden, in hockey believe the same and their reasons aren't easily dismissible.

I really don't know if he's making the right decision in terms of playing in the SEL but you can definitely make a case that he is in terms of his overall game. Only time will tell.

This is 100% reason why players spend multiple seasons in the ahl, your mind has to match your body.

rob brown is the poster-boy for your point. he put up 115pts with the penguins in 88'-89' and then spent the following 13 years in and out of the NHL, IHL, and AHL.

plus he got really bad hair-plugs.

brown.jpg

rob brown is the poster-boy for your point. he put up 115pts with the penguins in 88'-89' and then spent the following 13 years in and out of the NHL, IHL, and AHL.

plus he got really bad hair-plugs.

brown.jpg

At least it's not Dan Quinn. Scored 94 points on that line, and over the next couple seasons he was shuffled around and was an okay second line scorer for Vancouver, St.Louis, and Philadelphia. But early in the 1992-93 season he was accused of rape, and because of the accusation the Stars released him. He signed on with Ottawa for 1993-94 after the charges were dropped, but only played in 13 games. He played well his later years but never more than 44 games in a season.