• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
achildr1

Retire Osgood's #30?

Rate this topic

After reading Larsson's comment about Osgood being done, I got to wondering about it. I'm pretty certain it will be. I am a known skeptic of Ozzys though, so to me, it wouldn't be a certainty. Ken Holland, on the other hand is quite fond of the Kelly Hrudy look-alike and his numbers do theoretically point to the rafters.

Personally, I wish Shanny would have stuck around till he was done. I think it is at least argueable if not certain that his contributions were more vital to our championships than Osgood's. #14 would look great up there.

Ps...my bad if this has been discussed 10 times already. It was just kind of strange to think of they did, it would probably be opening night next season.

Edited by achildr1

This has been debated at length...

I for one think Fedorov, Osgood, and Shanahan have done enough to be retired for the Wings in terms of contributions, however the other contributing factor also seems to be longevity, and in many cases home grown talent. Although Osgood didn't play his entire career here he is the only one of the three that didn't do so by choice. I would say Osgood does eventually get his number retired but it might be an honor he is bestowed later down the road, it won't be done the very next season and to the same fanfare as Lidstrom will get or that Yzerman got.

If he hadn't sucked the last 2 regular seasons, if he'd played anywhere near his 2008 form, then probly yes. But will people remember the brick wall that was Ozzy in '08, or the booze soaked sieve of '09 and '10?

The Rafters are Sacred Red Wing Jersey grounds. More sacred than Ozzie, Shanny, and Feds. We're talking maybe once in a generation does a new jersey go up and retire. When was the last one before Stevie Y?

I'm pretty sure that had more to do with the "Dead Things" era. There werent any players that were good enough or stuck around like the players from the 50's dynasty.

It's all up in the air, i'm not sure if they'll even retire Lidstrom's jersey... Stevie Y was a no brainer to retire, I personally think Lidstrom's should be retired though. As for osgood, maybe... but I don't think they will. Another question is who is going to take captain when Lidstrom actually does retire... i'm not trying to steal your thread, I just don't personally feel like making a new one for that.

It's all up in the air, i'm not sure if they'll even retire Lidstrom's jersey... Stevie Y was a no brainer to retire, I personally think Lidstrom's should be retired though. As for osgood, maybe... but I don't think they will. Another question is who is going to take captain when Lidstrom actually does retire... i'm not trying to steal your thread, I just don't personally feel like making a new one for that.

Dude, lay off whatever your sippin on cause Nick is about as certain as the sunrise to be in the rafters. Were talking the best Wings d-man ever and a career Wing here.

"No doubt, no doubt in my mind"

Dude, lay off whatever your sippin on cause Nick is about as certain as the sunrise to be in the rafters. Were talking the best Wings d-man ever and a career Wing here.

"No doubt, no doubt in my mind"

Dude... I said I certainly think he'll go up. Calm down.

Osgood is currently tied at 314 with Jacques Plante for fourth all-time for most wins with a single team. The goalies ahead? Martin Brodeur, Tony Esposito, and Terry Sawchuk. He is one of only nine goaltenders to win 300 games with a single team, something that was not done by the following, among others:

Patrick Roy

Dominik Hasek

Glenn Hall

Grant Fuhr

Gump Worsley

Osgood's win total with the Wings alone would place him 19th on the All-time list instead of his current #10 ranking.

Osgood was one of the five best goaltenders in the world in his prime. Competing with, among others, three goaltenders who all are argued as the best ever.

This isn't Holmstrom or Draper we're talking about. Osgood for a long period was a top notch goaltender in the NHL.

He deserves his jersey number to be retired.

And as for you who say no HHOF? Are you ******* serious? A 400-win goalie and model citizen is not getting into the HHOF? Dino eventually got in even though he was blackballed by Bowman. He was good but not as good as Osgood.

Guest mindfly

Osgood is currently tied at 314 with Jacques Plante for fourth all-time for most wins with a single team. The goalies ahead? Martin Brodeur, Tony Esposito, and Terry Sawchuk. He is one of only nine goaltenders to win 300 games with a single team, something that was not done by the following, among others:

Patrick Roy

Dominik Hasek

Glenn Hall

Grant Fuhr

Gump Worsley

Osgood's win total with the Wings alone would place him 19th on the All-time list instead of his current #10 ranking.

Osgood was one of the five best goaltenders in the world in his prime. Competing with, among others, three goaltenders who all are argued as the best ever.

This isn't Holmstrom or Draper we're talking about. Osgood for a long period was a top notch goaltender in the NHL.

He deserves his jersey number to be retired.

And as for you who say no HHOF? Are you ******* serious? A 400-win goalie and model citizen is not getting into the HHOF? Dino eventually got in even though he was blackballed by Bowman. He was good but not as good as Osgood.

Yes I'm serious, he shouldn't be in the rafters nor the HHOF.

5 is a no brainer, hes said to be one of the best all time let alone just the wings. 7-time norris winner says it all.

30, i dont think so. I dont believe hes ever won a vezzy, or any other hardware for that matter besides the cups.

Im with mindfly with this one, this aint no pepsi center.

After reading Larsson's comment about Osgood being done, I got to wondering about it. I'm pretty certain it will be. I am a known skeptic of Ozzys though, so to me, it wouldn't be a certainty. Ken Holland, on the other hand is quite fond of the Kelly Hrudy look-alike and his numbers do theoretically point to the rafters.

Personally, I wish Shanny would have stuck around till he was done. I think it is at least argueable if not certain that his contributions were more vital to our championships than Osgood's. #14 would look great up there.

Ps...my bad if this has been discussed 10 times already. It was just kind of strange to think of they did, it would probably be opening night next season.

#5 is the only number that should be going up there in the near future.

5 is a no brainer, hes said to be one of the best all time let alone just the wings. 7-time norris winner says it all.

30, i dont think so. I dont believe hes ever won a vezzy, or any other hardware for that matter besides the cups.

Im with mindfly with this one, this aint no pepsi center.

Lids has won 6 Norris trophies, not seven unless you are counting 2010-2011.

Yes I'm serious, he shouldn't be in the rafters nor the HHOF.

I'm with Mindfly (this time only). Here's the Goaltenders in the HHOF. Sorry but Ozzie doesn't fit with these guys.

1945: Charles Robert "Chuck" Gardiner

1945: Georges Vezina

1958: Alex Connell

1958: Frederick Hugh Lehman

1959: Cecil "Tiny" Thompson

1961: George Hainsworth

1964: William Ronald Durnan

1965: Clinton S. "Clint" Benedict

1966: Francis Charles Brimsek

1967: Walter Edward "Turk" Broda

1969: Roy Worters

1971: Terrance Gordon "Terry" Sawchuk

1972: Harry "Hap" Holmes

1973: Claude Earl "Chuck" Rayner

1975: Glenn Henry Hall

1976: John William Bower

1978: Joseph Jacques Plante

1980: Harry Lumley

1980: Lorne "Gump" Worsley

1983: Ken Dryden

1984: Bernard Marcel Parent

1985: Gerald Michael "Gerry" Cheevers

1987: Edward "Eddie" Giacomin

1988: Anthony James "Tony" Esposito

1989: Vladislav Tretiak

1993: William John "Billy" Smith

2003: Grant Fuhr

2006: Patrick Roy

i spit take when i read the title.

If his production hadn't fallen off a cliff the last two years, I could see a argument being made for his number being in the rafters. Given the last two season, I don't see it happening. Hall of Fame, probably, but no way he gets his number retired. Lids will be the next number retired.

Edited by acidroach420

If he hadn't sucked the last 2 regular seasons, if he'd played anywhere near his 2008 form, then probly yes. But will people remember the brick wall that was Ozzy in '08, or the booze soaked sieve of '09 and '10?

He wasnt a sieve in 2009 during the playoffs, people seem to quickly forget that because of his lack luster 2009 regular season and his abysmal 2010 outing.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

The simple fact that we are having this debate means that #30 should not be retired. Retiring a number should be a rare occurrence reserved for the absolute best to ever play for that team. The Red Wings are not an organization that retires numbers willy-nilly, unlike some teams.

Was there a debate for #19? No. Will there be a debate for #5? No. The next player on the team to have a chance at having his number retired, after Lidstrom, is Zetterberg.

Do not retired his number.

In my opinion the categories for retiring a number should be as follows:

1. Made the HHOF

2. Played on the Wings for their entire career (there are a couple exceptions but very few)

3. Were legendary when they laced up the skates for the Wings

There should be no question, and in Chris Osgood's case there is no way he should have his number retired.

Do not retired his number.

In my opinion the categories for retiring a number should be as follows:

1. Made the HHOF

2. Played on the Wings for their entire career (there are a couple exceptions but very few)

3. Were legendary when they laced up the skates for the Wings

There should be no question, and in Chris Osgood's case there is no way he should have his number retired.

Then how do you explain Sid Abel?

The simple fact that we are having this debate means that #30 should not be retired. Retiring a number should be a rare occurrence reserved for the absolute best to ever play for that team. The Red Wings are not an organization that retires numbers willy-nilly, unlike some teams.

Was there a debate for #19? No. Will there be a debate for #5? No. The next player on the team to have a chance at having his number retired, after Lidstrom, is Zetterberg.

Not Datsyuk?

Do people like to regurgitate made up lies?

Booster: did you ever see Sid Abel play?

Guest mindfly

Datsyuk needs to perform into his late 30's, sign a new contract when it's up and go way past 1000pts which can be hard, it's impossible to forsee what kind of performance pavel will bring every night at let's say 37 years of age.