• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
achildr1

Retire Osgood's #30?

Rate this topic

I think Osgood's a lock for the Hall of Fame. They're not going to keep a 400 win goalie out with 3 Cup rings and multiple all star game appearances.

Rafters? Who knows. It's anyone's guess at this point. I think there's more reasons to think he'll be up there than reasons why he won't to be honest, but there still may not be enough reasons to get it up there.

What I think will be interesting to see is how the fan base regards Osgood 5-10 years after he retires. I've always felt with Osgood that it's a "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" situation. He's taken for granted around here, and many newer fans don't remember just how good he was in his prime. Maybe if he was more of a nutjob he'd get more accolades, but I think he's a bit to down to earth to get the media attention necessary while around to be considered a big time goalie. The reality of the matter is though that by all the numbers and all the Cups, he's one of the best goalies in the league over the last 20 years. He really is among an elite group of championship goalies with Roy and Brodeur.

Even Hasek only won one Cup, and he's an all time great...

That's an interesting idea. We didn't win the Cup in '09 because we only scored 1 goal in game 6 and 1 in game 7. In both games Ozzie only alowed 2 goals (each). Our losing in '09 was not Ozzie's fault but your argument is that it cost him immortality...

Yea crazy eh? That's the thing that bothers me the most about losing in 2009, Ozzie missed out on a lot. It's a perfect example of how it's a team game.

Arguably, because he is THE best of all time... there is always a lot of debate about this, but I would put Orr behind Lidstrom on said list...

Wow! Orr in my opinion is the greatest player of all-time.

Hall of Fame for Osgood? I say yes, especially if he breaks the 400 win plateau. You don't win 3 Cups and 400 games by just being a "system" goalie, he earned everything he has achieved.

Retire his number? That's debatable, and because it is debatable it should not happen. Lidstrom's #5 will definitely be retired, and that will be the last one for a very long time, unless the Ilitches decide to finally raise #6 like they should have done a long time ago.

I think only red wings fans would put Lidstrom over Orr, there's no question that Orr is the best Dman of all time even if he didn't play that long.

And you just proved why that sentiment is wrong in your own statement...

It's posts like these that make me lose faith in humanity.

Lidstrom was not better than Orr. Not by a long shot.

what an asinine statement...

Yea crazy eh? That's the thing that bothers me the most about losing in 2009, Ozzie missed out on a lot. It's a perfect example of how it's a team game.

Wow! Orr in my opinion is the greatest player of all-time.

Fair enough, its all opinion, and I'm in no way deminishing Orr's ability... I don't know why everyone looks at it that way, if anything it just shows how highly I think of Lids... and back to the topic at hand, that just shows how and why he's the only no-brainer for number retirement on the team....

The simple fact that we are having this debate means that #30 should not be retired. Retiring a number should be a rare occurrence reserved for the absolute best to ever play for that team. The Red Wings are not an organization that retires numbers willy-nilly, unlike some teams.

Was there a debate for #19? No. Will there be a debate for #5? No. The next player on the team to have a chance at having his number retired, after Lidstrom, is Zetterberg.

You said it all with your first sentence. Not one person would argue yzerman sawchuck or gordie, and no one will when #5 goes up. No disrespect to osgood and what he's done here, but the rafters are such a extreme honor that even the likes of oz don't make the cut.

Yes, he has met whatever 'requirements' are necessary.

I say yes and yes to him before Fedorov or Shanahan. Being a goalie in Detroit is it's own special ring of hell. It requires a far higher level of toughness.

Also, I disagree (respectfully as I understand their point) with those who think he needs to get into the hall of fame before being hoisted to the JLA rafters. For far too long people have said Osgood was nothing more than a product of the team in front of him or they somehow managed to win in spite of him. Ridiculous claims, utter hogwash. Was Dryden a product of those magnificent Canadiens teams in front of him? Was Fuhr a lucky passenger in Edmonton? Baloney and I think the Wings should be the ones to make that point crystal clear by retiring his #30. You're not retiring his number to prove a point, you're retiring it because Ozzie deserves it.

Well the reason why people bring up the hall of fame standard is because of Red Kelly and Larry Aurie.

I keep wanting to start a grassroots effort to get Kelly's number retired... Actually talked to Ted Lindsay recently and he is all for it.

Guest Stolberg

fedorov was a major contributor to 5 deep playoff runs

if he had stuck around with the wings who knows..

Some people think Ozzie should be retired?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

If we won Game 7 of the 2009 Final, Ozzie would have won the Conn Smythe, and there would be a good argument that his number should be retired. I think a 2009 Cup would have been that important to his career, putting him at the next level as a goalie.

With that said, no I don't think Ozzie's #30 should be retired, but he, no doubt in my mind, should be in the Hall of Fame.

Zetterberg would have won the Conn Smythe again. Ozzie was absolutely stellar in the first two games of that series, then very average after that.

Be kinda awkward not to put the winningest goalie in franchise history into the rafters, imo.

It's like.. here's the this goalie, he's played 14 seasons for us, some as a backup, most as a starter, he's been involved in 3 of our 4 cups, 2 as a starter, oh, and he's our winningest goalie ever and has a crowd chant dedicated to him... but oh wait, let's not put him in the rafters when he retires because he's got a bad rep that stuck around from 1 long range goal in a playoff series.

While the decision to retire a number is up to the owner of the team, but Kenny loves Ozzy, and I think he has a good chance to having his number retired.

I do believe that Ozzy deserves more recognition than he ever has, or will get. The fact is, people are always going to say he's only good because of Detroit's defense. It's ironic in that sense because they NEVER point out Brodeur's defense, and he hasn't won a single championship without that defense either. I believe Roy had a damn good defense core in front of him for the majority of his career. The ONLY 'elite' goalies who have rarely had a superior defense were Hasek, and arguably Cujo (if you consider him elite)

If it is debatable to great lengths, it should not be up there.

I pretty much always stick up for Osgood when fans in here act like morons towards him, but fair or not, the perceived standards of the Wings retiring jersey numbers is pretty high.

It might be one of those numbers that isn't hanging up high, but more/less not worn as a general rule, or at least for a long time.

A goalie's success is based on the team in front of him. I realize they have to be good at what they do, but there is only so much that can be done if your team doesn't contribute defensively and offensively. Goalies aren't the one scoring the goals, so if the team in front of him isn't producing it's difficult to get those wins no matter how good they are. And again, his total career success should be the basis for consideration for either HHOF or retiring his number, not recent times. Also, I would think that the Wings will look at what contribution Osgood had made to the team's success outside of just the numbers because there are other factors that make people great team players. I don't know what standards the Wings use when considering retiring a number, but I hope that his number is not used for quite a long time once he's done playing.

Dude, lay off whatever your sippin on cause Nick is about as certain as the sunrise to be in the rafters. Were talking the best Wings d-man ever and a career Wing here.

"No doubt, no doubt in my mind"

No offense to u or nick but best of all time. I would say its between him and orr

sawhuck should be the benchmark for whether or not a wings goalie's number should be retired

Exactly. Which is why putting Ozzy's number in the rafters is a no-brainer. He's the all time leader in playoff wins plus has 3 cups and will have over 400 victories. Plus he is number 2 all time in regular season wins in a winged wheel. It would just be assenine to not retire his number

It's the same as Gretzky is the best player to play the game, no question about that, still there will be some people putting lemieux over him for whatever reason.

Gretzky is a *****!!!! I think him and Cindy have a secret love child together :ph34r:

My thinking is that Osgood won't be in the rafters simply because the Red Wings have such high qualifications. If Osgood's number was put up in the rafters it would then, inevitably, bring out the question of why he was chosen over other players - "if he got there, then why not Fedorov, why not Shanny?" If you compare his impact to that of those two players, it would be unfair that the honour not be theirs as well. The Red Wings have only chosen iconic players that have contributed to the culture of the franchise.

Fedorov and shanahan wont have their numbers retired but should get an honorable mention somehow

Orr is a better defenseman than Lidstrom and only Red Wings fans will argue otherwise.

Sorry, there is a reason people label Orr in the top 5 ALL TIME.

And they dont label nick that? For one its almost impossible to compare the two(2 different eras, 2 different styles of d-men) You can't really argue in any sport about who was the "best of all time". Like many people debate Gretzky and Howe. WHile Gretzky have mpre points....Howe was by far the more complete player. Or that would be like comparing Barry to walter