• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sputman

Mickey Redmond and Ken Daniels

Rate this topic

IMO, they're the perfect mix of objectivism, homerism, and pure hatred for inconsistent reffing.

I grew up watching the Gary Thorne and Bill Clement combo, so they'll probably always be my favorite, but since the only games they call anymore are on Xboxs and Playstations, Ken & Mickey hold my top "current" favorites. I definitely feel cheated when I have to watch on VS or on another team's feed.

Being as objective as I can, I've listened to lots of other broadcast teams. I get the NHL Centre Ice package, so I get to check out plenty of games. I think the biggest difference is that while the Redmond-Daniels combo clearly get excited when the Red Wings score, they don't constantly praise the team.

They spend a lot of time focusing on the opposing team, and they give credit where credit is due. When they see a bad penalty either way (esp Redmond) they really call it out. I don't think there's a more objective team in the league right now, although I do like the Rangers broadcast team as well.

Correction: Ken Daniels - Mickey Redmond and

<--- MR. DOLLAR DOG LARRY MURPHY

Can you ask for a better trio!!!

The answer is no btw.

Is that why he's not at the Joe? Have they forbid him from dollar dog overindulgence?

mickey is the only person i can listen too. murphy and daniels annoy me.

Blasphemy!!!!!

Murph can eat more hot dogs than an entire family combined - that defines how awesome he is.

But on a serious note: I can see how Murph can annoy - he is a love or hate type of commentator.

But explain why Kenny annoys you? I have trouble seeing that one. He is very solid - corrects his errors when they are made and follows the play very well.

Is that why he's not at the Joe? Have they forbid him from dollar dog overindulgence?

Dollar Dog night was Wednesday. He had a whole box of them - looked like 5 or 6 to me. I think they let the CBC guy in between the benches tonight for some reason.

murph is a bumbling idioit as the third string commentator.but mickey and ken r great!

But that is what makes Murph so lovable.

He is clearly intoxicated and craving hot dogs!

Seriously though. He does stumble on his words but he does add with his knowledge. They guy is a HHOF D-man and IMO is a big reason Lids was able to make the steps he did to be the D-man he is now when they were paired up.

He may not be a great public speaker but he knows his stuff. If you look past the bumbling he adds some good stuff.

Blasphemy!!!!!

Murph can eat more hot dogs than an entire family combined - that defines how awesome he is.

But on a serious note: I can see how Murph can annoy - he is a love or hate type of commentator.

But explain why Kenny annoys you? I have trouble seeing that one. He is very solid - corrects his errors when they are made and follows the play very well.

Dollar Dog night was Wednesday. He had a whole box of them - looked like 5 or 6 to me. I think they let the CBC guy in between the benches tonight for some reason.

glenn healy. he's not bad.

But that is what makes Murph so lovable.

He is clearly intoxicated and craving hot dogs!

Seriously though. He does stumble on his words but he does add with his knowledge. They guy is a HHOF D-man and IMO is a big reason Lids was able to make the steps he did to be the D-man he is now when they were paired up.

He may not be a great public speaker but he knows his stuff. If you look past the bumbling he adds some good stuff.

I watch him for the bumbling idiot stuff, which is really just in his presentation. He always adds good info to the conversation. I think its great that we have commentators with actual personalities. The trio provide a collective knowledge of hockey unmatched by most, if not all, commentators.

Maybe it's the fact that my 3

came from Thorne/Clement. *shrug*

Thorne's calls on the Stevie Y double OT goal, McCarty's amazing game 4 goal, and Drapes OT goal in the finals just give me the chills every single time. There is no replacing the Mick. Easily the best.

Thorne's calls on the Stevie Y double OT goal, McCarty's amazing game 4 goal, and Drapes OT goal in the finals just give me the chills every single time. There is no replacing the Mick. Easily the best.

Yup. Another memorable Thorne goal call.

(crappy quality)

I'd have to say they are the best combination, at least among US networks, I admit I don't catch as many Canadian broadcasts as some on here. Other teams have one really good PBP or color guy, but most do not have both.

I think what makes them so great is that they seem like they are actually part of the team rather than just two guys who call the games, there is a real family atmosphere with the whole organization. Also I like how when the red wings score ken's reaction is actually genuine unlike some broadcasters who are just obnoxious and seem like they are trying way too hard.

the guy seems like a great person, just something about when he announces games that i can't stand.

Since, for some reason, I've been getting NHL Center Ice for free this year, I've been able to watch/listen to Ken and Mickey more. I think they're excellent!

I have this thing about color commentators over analyzing and talking to much. Mickey seems to be a perfect color guy, he says what needs to be said and that's it.

Both Ken and Mick don't seem to take themselves to serious, which I think makes their play by play and commentary more enjoyable. 90% of people that watch hockey know as much as the guys on TV anyway, so over analyzing isn't necessary, and mostly is annoying.

Most Canadian hockey broadcasts and broadcasters drive me nuts! First of all, they cheer lead for the Canadian teams, and they think since they're Canadian and it's Hockey they know everything. The color commentary, and even the play by play, on a Canadian channel is too way over the top. The analysis doesn't stop. After a few stops in the play it's, "Please just shut up!" Pierre McGuire is the perfect example of this, and there is more in this country.

I wish there was a way you can watch games without the play by play guys. I know what's going on, and I'm more interested in hearing the music they play at the arenas and the crowd noise.