52 replies to this topic

#41 Wingooni_19

Wingooni_19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

Since you put that one up I always find myself watching this one

Another great call by Gord Miller! TSN Rocks!

Edited by Wingooni_19, 11 December 2010 - 12:20 PM.

#42 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

Murph is my man...he has got a voice that is almost like he is yelling....still my favorites are the radio guys (in general)

#43 Datsook

Datsook

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:27 PM

Since, for some reason, I've been getting NHL Center Ice for free this year, I've been able to watch/listen to Ken and Mickey more. I think they're excellent!

I have this thing about color commentators over analyzing and talking to much. Mickey seems to be a perfect color guy, he says what needs to be said and that's it.

Both Ken and Mick don't seem to take themselves to serious, which I think makes their play by play and commentary more enjoyable. 90% of people that watch hockey know as much as the guys on TV anyway, so over analyzing isn't necessary, and mostly is annoying.

Most Canadian hockey broadcasts and broadcasters drive me nuts! First of all, they cheer lead for the Canadian teams, and they think since they're Canadian and it's Hockey they know everything. The color commentary, and even the play by play, on a Canadian channel is too way over the top. The analysis doesn't stop. After a few stops in the play it's, "Please just shut up!" Pierre McGuire is the perfect example of this, and there is more in this country.

I wish there was a way you can watch games without the play by play guys. I know what's going on, and I'm more interested in hearing the music they play at the arenas and the crowd noise.

Here's a tip. Only works if you have surround sound (ie 5 speakers). I've noticed 99% of the play-by-play comes out of the centre speaker. So just unplug the centre speaker and all you get are the sounds of the game! It helps while watching Versus.
-Oz

#44 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

I like ken daniels.

i respect mick for a player, but i cant stand his negativity towards the game and how its played. I get it dudd, its not the 60s or 70s NHL that you know and love. Sticks break, holding and hooking penalties are common, but thats the way it is. All he does is rant on that s***, it gets tiring.

As for murph..... i like the guy, but he always sounds drunk. Kind of funny, kind of annoying.

Now dont get me started on the studio guys Mickey York or Keating.... i CANT STAND they way they talk... its kind offfffffffffff...... like this. and kind...... of like that. f*** dude. Quit the dramatic effects, please.

Trevor Thompson is cool though, i like him. Good voice, speaks clearly, and sounds excited about what hes talking about, along w/ a great personality.

Edited by nate94gt, 11 December 2010 - 02:16 PM.

#45 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:28 PM

I love Mickey, it will be a sad day when he cannot do this job anymore.

If Daniels stopped talking through his nose I could stomach him more. Sometimes he sounds clear and others he sounds very nasally to the point where I want him to get a nose job.

Muprhy HANDS!!!!!! He needs to loosen up more. When he talks he seems like he is trying to yell or talk over others, not speaking naturally.

I hate John Keating with a passion.

#46 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:54 PM

In the earlier years Ken Daniels was very serious and stuffy. Working with Mickey changed his career. Ken Daniels became less serious, embraced the humor and became a better telecaster. I like Murph but I will not like the day when he replaces Mickey Redmond... let us all hope that does not happen anytime soon. Thanks for all the great memories and stories Mickey!!!
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#47 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

Here's a tip. Only works if you have surround sound (ie 5 speakers). I've noticed 99% of the play-by-play comes out of the centre speaker. So just unplug the centre speaker and all you get are the sounds of the game! It helps while watching Versus.

Thanks, I don't have surround sound, but I'll remember that when/if I do.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#48 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:48 PM

The Wings always seem to lose when they're on Versus.

#49 DanZ

DanZ

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:30 PM

I like the Dallas guys as well as the Wings. Larry Murphy absolutely annoys me though.

#50 BlakKy

BlakKy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:55 PM

jim hughson and bob miller

Hughson is the best, most objective pbp. Never fumbles, always speak in a friendly to the ear tone yet gets excited enough when great things happen.

#51 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:04 PM

Its Redmondov now.

#52 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:02 AM

One of the better games in their recent history is Game 7 against Anaheim in '09. They were really up for that one. Ken Daniels voice was just about shot by the end of the night.

#53 stormboy

stormboy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:06 AM

almost makes me miss sammy. that's still an amazing play.

I like ken daniels.

i respect mick for a player, but i cant stand his negativity towards the game and how its played. I get it dudd, its not the 60s or 70s NHL that you know and love. Sticks break, holding and hooking penalties are common, but thats the way it is. All he does is rant on that s***, it gets tiring.

As for murph..... i like the guy, but he always sounds drunk. Kind of funny, kind of annoying.

Now dont get me started on the studio guys Mickey York or Keating.... i CANT STAND they way they talk... its kind offfffffffffff...... like this. and kind...... of like that. f*** dude. Quit the dramatic effects, please.

Trevor Thompson is cool though, i like him. Good voice, speaks clearly, and sounds excited about what hes talking about, along w/ a great personality.

i wouldn't say that's ALL he does, but i do agree that it sometimes gets tiresome because you hear the same complaints over and over again. i guess for an occasional viewer, it's good to have that stuff in a lot of games, but for anyone who watches a lot, you know what he's going to say before he even says it a lot of the time, when it comes to that stuff. i like the rest of his commentary, though.

go wings.