12/11 GDT: Red Wings 4 at Devils 1

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#341 droz

droz

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

I really liked how he played the puck last night, howard Must start doing it soon, it's such a great help, i would love to hear an honest interview with kronwall or someone on how much easier it is for the D when the goalie can play the puck well., i can't think of another goalie in the league that's worse than howard when it comes to stickhandling and playing the puck, even the young rookies are better.

I will agree with you that Howard needs to play the puck more, and he is starting to this season. Seems like he just doesn't have the confidence to come out of the crease like Ozzy has, hopefully it's something he will improve on over the season. Watching Ozzy play and seeing how he does it should help him, he didn't get to do that much last year.

#342 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

I want to see Osgood get another consecutive start, and then go 50/50 with Howard. Osgood needs to get into a groove, we know Howard can pop back in at any time and play fine, so now that Ozzie had a great game, let's see if he has more in the tank before going back to Howard.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#343 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

does anyone have a vid of Dats goal?
Posted Image

#344 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

I want to see Osgood get another consecutive start, and then go 50/50 with Howard. Osgood needs to get into a groove, we know Howard can pop back in at any time and play fine, so now that Ozzie had a great game, let's see if he has more in the tank before going back to Howard.

I agree. If one goalie gets hot, play him for 3-4 games and switch. This 14 starts in a row s*** has to stop

Edited by nate94gt, 12 December 2010 - 02:03 PM.

#345 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:46 PM

I agree. If one goalie gets hot, play him for 3-4 games and switch. This 14 starts in a row s*** has to stop

Tht 14 game in a row s*** happens when you either a) don't have a back-up, or b) your back-up sucks. Now Howie has a healthy fine back-up.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#346 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

Tht 14 game in a row s*** happens when you either a) don't have a back-up, or b) your back-up sucks. Now Howie has a healthy fine back-up.

I would like to see Ozzie get the start against the Kings tomorrow. He was hot last night, let him carry over the momentum into the next game. I don't think it will do anything to Howard's confidence to sit several games while Ozzie gets his feet wet, he knows he's not superman and can't play every game.

#347 F2B&G

F2B&G

Rookie

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:26 PM

Ozzie looked good, but on the other hand, the Devils are horrible this year. I'd wait for a couple more starts against better teams and see how he does there before declaring he's "back to form" and calling for a 1a/1b situation with Howard.

#348 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:28 PM

I really liked how he played the puck last night, howard Must start doing it soon, it's such a great help, i would love to hear an honest interview with kronwall or someone on how much easier it is for the D when the goalie can play the puck well., i can't think of another goalie in the league that's worse than howard when it comes to stickhandling and playing the puck, even the young rookies are better.

Worst in the league is taking it too far but he definitely has a lot of room to improve. I think he's got a lot of potential but this and rebound control are definitely areas he needs to work out two become a long-time steady starter. Teams will get better and better at taking advantage of his weaknesses as time goes on so he definitely needs to reign them in. Aside from that, it's also very true that it helps immensely to have a goalie that can play the puck well as it can really help jumpstart a rush. I would have liked to see more improvement in puck and rebound control from him coming into tis season but he's still been solid and I do think he'll work the issues out in time.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#349 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

Ozzie looked good, but on the other hand, the Devils are horrible this year. I'd wait for a couple more starts against better teams and see how he does there before declaring he's "back to form" and calling for a 1a/1b situation with Howard.

Osgood's really only had one rough start and even in that start, he was hung out to dry the majority of the time. Watch the video replays and look up the recaps if you don't remember. The rest of the time, Osgoods been solid. And while the Devils are horrible, they dumped quite a few shots on Osgood and many quality scoring chances. Osgood had to be great to hold them to the 1 goal. I'm not saying it should go to a 50-50 rotation yet either, but the idea that Osgood has played poorly this year is unfounded.

I'll say though right now, if Osgood keeps this up and plays at a strong level down the stretch, I would like to see him start in the playoffs. That is where he shines, and Howard stands to learn a lot from watching Osgood when it matters most. I believe in Howard long run, but I also believe in the developmental process. I'd rather go with the veteran and let the next guy learn how it's done especially after Howard's less than stellar run last year.
-Elliot...does not panic.