• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:13 AM

It's not so much what he did but how he did it I guess. I can see where both sides are coming from.

#22 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:39 AM

It's not so much what he did but how he did it I guess. I can see where both sides are coming from.

Part of why it's so good is the reactions it's garnering. Dan Ellis:

"It's embarrassing for him," Ellis said. "You come into a league, a respectful league like this, and you try a little move like that. It's not a very classy thing. That's just the kind of person he is."

And Stamkos:

ďI didnít think it showed a lot of respect in this game,Ē said Stamkos, who missed his shootout attempt in Round 2.

ďI mean, you donít see Crosby or Ovechkin doing that and theyíre the two best players in the game.

ď(Omarkís) a creative player, heís got good skill. Iím not taking that away from him, but it didnít really have any implication on his moves, so I donít know why he did that.Ē

:lol:

Edited by Aussie_Wing, 11 December 2010 - 04:41 AM.

Ken Holland: Heís (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, heís a puck hound.

#23 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:59 AM

Jeeeez... Really??? It was that disrespectful? What's the big deal? He and PK Subban should be teammates I guess. The All Overreaction Inducing Team.

#24 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:01 AM

I guess you guys havn't played hockey before. Rookie + 1st game + hot dog move = disrespect.

Their absolutely right. But thats his game and you cant ask him to change that.

Posted Image

#25 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:08 AM

Wasn't impressive at all, especially for the hype.

The fake and the shot were alright, but nothing anyone would get excited about without the spin. I'm fairly confident that any player in the NHL could do that spin. I can do that spin. A backflip might have impressed me, or adding the spin to his shot/deke as we've seen Bert do a couple times.

That just seemed pointless and silly. I guess I'd give him a point for his willingness to risk looking like a fool for no good reason, but I'd also take away two points for him actually doing it.

#26 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:23 AM

Jeeeez... Really??? It was that disrespectful? What's the big deal? He and PK Subban should be teammates I guess. The All Overreaction Inducing Team.

ellis is just jelly because he's a horrible goalie

#27 SuperCalaFilppulastic!

SuperCalaFilppulastic!

Flippin' Awesome

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:15 AM

What is this? A figure skating demo?

Imagine if he tossed in a triple axel as he approached the puck, Canada might have imploded.

Check out my Wings autographed card collection here!

#28 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

Wow what a bunch of jealous Janes on here. :rolleyes:

Edited by Hockeymom1960, 11 December 2010 - 08:36 AM.

#29 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:49 AM

haha that was pretty funny. And gosh TB sure is bitter as hell lol. Go Omark.

#30 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:52 AM

I guess you guys havn't played hockey before. Rookie + 1st game + hot dog move = disrespect.

Their absolutely right. But thats his game and you cant ask him to change that.

Disrespect my ass. NHL players aren't senior citizens who you should open the door for and give the best seats on buses and adress "Mister" or "Sir".

And I really fail to see how it's in any way disrespectful. Is it less disrespectful of Datsyuk to make oppposing players like like complete fools night in and night out? That shootout move he did on Niemi last year, SURELY that was disrespectful? No? Was it maybe because...he's not a rookie? And as soon as a rookie does anything other than act like a media-trained robot who rambles cliches about "learning", "taking one game at a time", "looking up to the guys in the lockerroom" etc, people get all upset and call him disrespectful?

Personally saw a rookie who should have been playing in the NHL for months, probably should have already been in his 2nd NHL season, who finally got his chance to show his stuff and did the most of the opportunity.

Besides, the shootout is a joke anyway. It's a skills-competition, there only to please the crowd. Omark brought entertainment, he got people talking. Mission accomplished.
He showed who he is and I bet you that the Oilers management will have a hard time justifying sending him to the AHL again. Which they probably will anyway just because they're morons.

#31 One4TheWings

One4TheWings

"dc"

• Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:46 AM

I saw it as showboating which is, whether you disagree or not, disrespectful. It makes him a target, but to an extent that's what you want. If you can be in your rookie tilt and have the other team thinking about you instead of someone else that's a plus. It raises his stock. It gave him instant recognizability. It was great for him. Good for the franchise. And you can bet it makes SportsCenter as a highlight, which is good for the NHL. Is it particularly impressive? Not technically. We are blessed to watch the likes of Pavel Datsyuk night in and night out. But it was risky. He would have looked like a total ass if he would have dumped it and fell to the ice. But he didn't and to top it all off he scored. The other team bellyaching is just sour grapes.
4G1V3N

#32 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:06 AM

I saw it as showboating which is, whether you disagree or not, disrespectful. It makes him a target, but to an extent that's what you want. If you can be in your rookie tilt and have the other team thinking about you instead of someone else that's a plus. It raises his stock. It gave him instant recognizability. It was great for him. Good for the franchise. And you can bet it makes SportsCenter as a highlight, which is good for the NHL. Is it particularly impressive? Not technically. We are blessed to watch the likes of Pavel Datsyuk night in and night out. But it was risky. He would have looked like a total ass if he would have dumped it and fell to the ice. But he didn't and to top it all off he scored. The other team bellyaching is just sour grapes.

say he doesn't do the useless spin move, if he scored on that terrible shot no one would be talking about this, watch datsyuk undress Harding, Vokoun, or Turco, that is something worth noting, and to think pavel did it in game.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#33 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:19 AM

I dont really see it as disrespectful, but the shootout is pretty much a ridiculous spectacle to me as it is, so this move is sort of splitting hairs to complain about it. To me the spinorama where the player runs into the goalie and slams it home in the shootout is a bigger deal because it shouldn't count.

The funny thing about Omark's goal is when you see the angle from behind, it looks like he stumbles for a second on the fake slapshot and muffs his wristshot a little bit because it went off the heel of his blade, so it becomes this changeup shot.

Everyone talking about how talented he is, but he basically scored because he muffed the shot. :P

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 11 December 2010 - 10:20 AM.

#34 dicksmack

dicksmack

Tunnel bus to the Joe!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

The spin so far out looked silly.
Finally someone that can post with actually integrity, nice to see. :thumbup: --Carman

#35 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:38 AM

Coming from a league where these type of shootout attempts are commonplace, I don't think he was trying to disrespect anyone. I think he was just doing what he's used to doing. Sorry if your five-hole is a puck-vacuum Ellis. Get over it.

#36 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:20 AM

Tampa players are being ridiculous lol. Especially St. Louis, he is the one who used to try that silly looking turn backwards shootout move all the time.

Some people in this thread are just missing the point or don't understand entertainment. Of course there are many prettier shootout goals, but all things considered I don't think I've seen one as exciting. :siren: (And I was cheering against the Oilers that game, watched it live)

#37 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:54 AM

I was disappointed, good for him that he scored a shootout goal in his first game, I am not saying it wasn't cool, I just think the OP hyped it far to much for me. As far as spinorama goals go, I think Bert's last year was WAY more impressive.

Edit: I found NOTHING disrespectful about it at all.

Edited by Booster313, 11 December 2010 - 12:11 PM.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#38 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:27 PM

Well, it was different. Give the kid credit for being unique if nothing else.
Posted Image

#39 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,564 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

It showed confidence and balls, yeah. But it would have been cooler if the spin-o-rama had actually affected the goal, and his shot was pretty weak.

But for entertainment value it was good.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#40 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,060 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:46 PM

lol @ Tampa Bay. Direspectful? He should be embarassed? He got his team 2 points, that's all that counts.

#NOMOREKINDL