• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
zombi

The 2012 Winter Classic

Rate this topic

With the 2011 Winter Classic quickly approaching and the 2012 teams being announced in the next few months, I thought it would be fun to try and predict which teams they are going to select.

In my opinion, I think that the Rangers are a lock for it. I also think that they are going to still leave the Canadian teams out of it.

My guesses are:

Rangers vs. Blues

Rangers vs. Islanders

Rangers vs. Detroit

With the 2011 Winter Classic quickly approaching and the 2012 teams being announced in the next few months, I thought it would be fun to try and predict which teams they are going to select.

In my opinion, I think that the Rangers are a lock for it. I also think that they are going to still leave the Canadian teams out of it.

My guesses are:

Rangers vs. Blues

Rangers vs. Islanders

Rangers vs. Detroit

Hmm.. Is there any reason you think the Rangers are a lock for it? Or just a feeling?

I do agree that they likely keep Canadian teams out since they may contginue with the Heritage classic thing in Feb.

I could however see Rangers/Islanders or Rangers/Devils. I definitely think its better for them to put division rivals against each other in these to make it a bit more interesting and take the exhibition feel out of it.

Penguins vs. Penguins

Crosby will be cloned over the off-season so that he can captain both teams.

You know, I was thinking something interesting yesterday. What would the league do if Crosby got injured before the Winter Classic?

I want to see an original 6 matchup. Right now I don't think any rivalries match the intensity of those.

Since the league seems to hate advertising Canadian teams, we won't see a Toronto/Montreal vs. Detroit, sadly.

I'd love to see NYR take on Detroit as well.

But who are we kidding? Only the Pens get repeat appearances.

The Comerica Park idea is nice.

Here's who I'd kind of like as opponents:

Worshington - Battle of skills

Philadelphia - Battle of wills/styles

St. Louis - Who knows how good their record would be if they still had Oshie? I imagine them as even better than they are this year. It's a rivalry kind of game for sure and it would be quite the battle for points.

Vancouver - Euro Twins versus Sedin Twins always entertaining as far as skill and competitiveness goes.

I think the League needs to go to 2 west teams again. The last two games have been east teams so I'm thinking something along the lines of Maybe LA, Minnasota, or Colorado. I think one of those 3 all have a great chance of being involved. Out of all the east teams I can think of many others besides the Rangers that would be involved without having to repeats and I think that it will really start to piss GM's and Owners off if it goes to the east again with another team getting a second shot.

It should be two west teams and the NHL will piss a lot of people off if it doesn't go out west, and Yes keep Canada out of it, they have there Heritage game.

crash

While I don't expect it, it would not shock me and I will be doing plenty of forehead smacks if Pittsburgh is even considered again.

New York Rangers vs. New Jersey Devils or New York Islanders

Done.

(Yes, I get that the Devils and Islanders don't exactly bring in the ratings, I'm leaning more towards the rivalry aspect)

Penguins vs Panthers Landshark Stadium

Penguins vs Thrashers UGA Stadium/Bobby Dodd Stadium/Turner Field

Penguins vs Predators LP Field

Penguins vs Blues Busch Stadium

Penguins vs Kings LA Coliseum

Penguins vs Blackhawks Soldier Field

Penguins vs Hurricanes Carter Finley Stadium

on a serious note

Rangers-Islanders Yankees Stadium

Rangers-Red Wings Meadowlands

I'd call NJ and NYI longshots considering the state of their team. They won't go back to one of the Capitals or Penguins for a 2nd straight year. Won't be Canadian teams. Chicago or Detroit, while good teams to feature, have both recently been in one which decreases the likelihood; same goes for Boston and Philadelphia.

Minnesota, while deserving, aren't good enough at the moment. Colorado is a viable option, but they still have to prove themselves a bit. I could see Carolina get consideration if they make the playoffs this year and look good going forward.

That said, my money is on Los Angeles @ New York Rangers. Makes the most sense IMO: LA is an up and coming team, NY is a decent team, and it features the two largest US markets.