• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
zombi

The 2012 Winter Classic

Rate this topic

How about a Panthers vs. Lightning game for the battle of Florida?

I'm sure NBC would love that s***.

they could just ditch the skates and play the game in a parking lot on roller blades. but here's the catch: they don't close the parking lot. check of the game: St. Louis drilled by P. Aztek!

I think it's time they turn the Winter Classic into a Double Header just like the NFL does with the Thanksgiving Classic. Have the early game between two East teams and the late game between two West teams. I know there is this feeling of keeping it a special thing to play in but why not extend it and turn it into a major hockey event that lasts all day. Also, with 4 teams getting to play outside each year they could even throw a Canadian team in it once in a while, but the games should always be played in the States to keep interest in hockey growing.

i actually really like this idea. i do think it would still keep the event special -- only one DAY a year still, even if it's two games. i wonder if the reason that hasn't happened is the network's trepidation to go to a full day of hockey programming. but, hell, that would be a lot of fun for hockey fans, for sure. plus, you get a lot more teams involved that way -- by making more markets part of the event every year, you'd get more buzz in more cities.

go rangers-habs early, nucks-aves late, and you're emphasizing the US versus Canada aspect, which i think would be fun, you're playing to fans of both conferences. and, hell, you can still involve southern teams as long as they're playing away games. i'd love to see this happen sometime down the road.

Penguins vs the universe

@ at the international space station

IN SPACE

i literally lol'd. well played, sir.

Wild vs Dallas at the Metrodome. Hey, it's kind of outdoors nowadays.

heh. it could be like SURPRISE SNOW STORM when another part of the roof collapses.

Toronto vs Detroit in Comerica Park would be pretty damn cool.

I'd love to see one in Colorado too, any game up there would be fun to watch.

I like the idea of a NYR vs NYI game though... not exactly ratings gold but would be cool for the rivalry aspect. Play it at Yankee Stadium. :thumbup:

Panthers vs. lightning

Frozen everglades

Live gators and cottonmouths

In the eye of a hurricane

:rotflmao:

Edited by wingsgirl001

Yep, do it in the Mile High Stadium (is it still called that?) Should be easy to market.

its called Invesco Field at Mile High now, so..... yes still Mile High.

I like the Maple Leafs vs Wings at the big house. But Avs vs Canes (Nordiques vs Whalers) at Mile high would be cool. The could wear the Throwback jerseys.

not a pick, but anyone else see the commercial for the winter classic game. its a pretty good one.

i would love to see detroit at copark vs any original 6 team..

Edited by hokeychik22

It will be Crosby vs. Ovechkin since the league is amazing at marketing :ph34r:

Financially the NHL is apparently in pretty good shape. We think their marketing sucks but apparently a part of what they're doing is effective.

Financially the NHL is apparently in pretty good shape. We think their marketing sucks but apparently a part of what they're doing is effective.

What, shoving TWO players down our throats yearly is effective marketing? All it's doing is making NHL fans (not all) hate Crosby and Ovechkin more. They can have Crosby/Ovechkin commercials all over the Wings game, I still will not watch it due to the fact that they are only promoting Crosby and Ovechkin in the commercials. Correct me if I am wrong, but Pittsburgh and Washington do have more then 1 player right?

I think the Crosby/Ovechkin commercials are a little excessive. I find it harder to believe they're hated rivals when they're appearing in commercials together, even though I know they really are. It just seems too manufactured.

As for marketing, the NHL's marketing is about on par with other leagues. The only flaw is that they focus on two players, making outsiders think the NHL has only two stars. I guarantee you a commercial showing Datsyuk highlights would generate as much interest as Ovechkin vs. Crosby. If he amazes us just think of what his dangling would do to someone on the fence about watching.

Or how about Ryan Miller making amazing saves? There are tons of players who could generate interest. I know even among non-fans Miller is a big deal. He could legitimately be a mainstream star if they let him.

We can joke about it all we want, but they can't have the Pens in it every year, as is evidenced by the fact that it took three seasons for them to appear again.

NHL marketing is better than many people think. How many times have people posted on these boards that they HATE Crosby, get gets SO much TV time, he's SO overrated, etc, etc? Congrats, you have succumbed to the NHL's manipulative, top-secret marketing efforts. :sly::scared:

Anyway, it seems to me that if Montreal and Toronto are going to continue to be ignored, then the Rags are certainly due to the involved in 2012.

We can joke about it all we want, but they can't have the Pens in it every year, as is evidenced by the fact that it took three seasons for them to appear again.

NHL marketing is better than many people think. How many times have people posted on these boards that they HATE Crosby, get gets SO much TV time, he's SO overrated, etc, etc? Congrats, you have succumbed to the NHL's manipulative, top-secret marketing efforts. :sly::scared:

Anyway, it seems to me that if Montreal and Toronto are going to continue to be ignored, then the Rags are certainly due to the involved in 2012.

Montreal is playing in Calgary in February at McMahon Stadium.

Montreal is playing in Calgary in February at McMahon Stadium.

Right, but it's not the Winter Classic on January 1st. NBC, really, is the reason that it's likely both teams involved in the WC will always be American.

Right, but it's not the Winter Classic on January 1st. NBC, really, is the reason that it's likely both teams involved in the WC will always be American.

Right. I would assume the trade-off for Canadian teams is the revitalization of the Heritage Classic.

What, shoving TWO players down our throats yearly is effective marketing? All it's doing is making NHL fans (not all) hate Crosby and Ovechkin more. They can have Crosby/Ovechkin commercials all over the Wings game, I still will not watch it due to the fact that they are only promoting Crosby and Ovechkin in the commercials. Correct me if I am wrong, but Pittsburgh and Washington do have more then 1 player right?

Yup.

A few of you have mentioned the Blues as a guess...which would be awesome.

They are a decent choice since they are a good young team and should be on the rise in the league, but I think they need to actually be a playoff team before they are picked.

But if they ever do get to play in the Winter Classic, I doubt it would be held here in St. Louis.

It's not a sure thing that the weather would be cold enough to sustain the ice. While the temperature here in the winter can be balls cold, it can also be mild at times as well...and it can vary from week to week.

Over the last 16 years on January 1st, in St. Louis...

Avg. high temp: 42 degrees

Avg. low temp: 25 degrees

4 times the temperature was over 60 degrees

11 times the temperature was below 32 degrees

As cool as it would be to hold it in Busch Stadium, I think it would be too much of a gamble for the NHL to hold the Winter Classic in St. Louis.

I understand that it can be a little above freezing and the ice will still be ok, but there is a 25% chance the temperature will be over 60 degrees...which would be a disaster.

If I could pick a team for the Blues to play in the Winter Classic, it would be either the Hawks or the Wings. I don't see any other matchup being "Winter Classic" worthy for the Blues, unless another rivalry sparks up with some other team in the next couple years.

Edited by cprice12

There really is a limited number of teams that can host the WC and the numbers favor the East. Ignoring Canadian teams, you have to figure maybe 8 teams in the East (Flyers, Pens, Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Bruins, Buffalo, & an outside chance the Caps) and in the West you have 6 at most (Wings, Hawks, Jackets, Avs, Wild, & maybe the Blues). Granted there's no chance in hell that the Islanders or the Blue Jackets ever get to host one.

I think that given the fact that the Pens were the visiting team at the first WC & are now hosting, it's time for the Wings to host as they were the visitors in the 2nd WC. From a TV ratings standpoint, it's got to be either that or the Rangers hosting. If they want to keep things in conference, why not Wings/Avs or Wings/Blues in Comerica? I would prefer Wings/Rangers myself but would consider that an outside shot.