• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
zombi

The 2012 Winter Classic

Rate this topic

I think these could be good storylines. Canadian teams can be included at least when playing a large market American team, the Olympics do well enough in the US remember:

St. Louis vs Chicago

Boston vs. Montreal

Toronto vs Detroit

New York Rangers vs. Detroit (not so much for a rivalry, but two of the biggest markets and very distinct traditions.)

Wouldn't doubt it. NBC's favorite "rivalry". Just force fed these 2 teams constantly.

they never fail to put on an entertaining game though. it would be nice to see a couple fights in the Classic too. it would be just the type of spectacle the NHL would want, especially at Yankee Stadium.

A few of you have mentioned the Blues as a guess...which would be awesome.

They are a decent choice since they are a good young team and should be on the rise in the league, but I think they need to actually be a playoff team before they are picked.

But if they ever do get to play in the Winter Classic, I doubt it would be held here in St. Louis.

It's not a sure thing that the weather would be cold enough to sustain the ice. While the temperature here in the winter can be balls cold, it can also be mild at times as well...and it can vary from week to week.

Over the last 16 years on January 1st, in St. Louis...

Avg. high temp: 42 degrees

Avg. low temp: 25 degrees

4 times the temperature was over 60 degrees

11 times the temperature was below 32 degrees

As cool as it would be to hold it in Busch Stadium, I think it would be too much of a gamble for the NHL to hold the Winter Classic in St. Louis.

I understand that it can be a little above freezing and the ice will still be ok, but there is a 25% chance the temperature will be over 60 degrees...which would be a disaster.

If I could pick a team for the Blues to play in the Winter Classic, it would be either the Hawks or the Wings. I don't see any other matchup being "Winter Classic" worthy for the Blues, unless another rivalry sparks up with some other team in the next couple years.

Will Albert Pujols be making the Roster ? it is however the house that he built. :P

Edited by darkmanx

they never fail to put on an entertaining game though. it would be nice to see a couple fights in the Classic too. it would be just the type of spectacle the NHL would want, especially at Yankee Stadium.

Definitely agree. With the Flyers on their way up in the conference it would be nice to see something like that and why not use that billion dollar facility for something like this? Comerica could definitely have one, or why not do one at the Big House again. They will bring in the same crowd as they did for the Big Chill.

If it's not two Western teams then I will scream! All this Eastern Conference bias is getting annoying. I don't care if it's Detroit as long as it's someone in the West. Although I don't want to hear anyone from the NHL saying Detroit was in the WC too recently so they can't host.

What, shoving TWO players down our throats yearly is effective marketing? All it's doing is making NHL fans (not all) hate Crosby and Ovechkin more. They can have Crosby/Ovechkin commercials all over the Wings game, I still will not watch it due to the fact that they are only promoting Crosby and Ovechkin in the commercials. Correct me if I am wrong, but Pittsburgh and Washington do have more then 1 player right?

Well, currently s***sburgh only has one... seriously....

This is all rumors and hearsay, but I heard that starting in 2012 the NHL will be rotating the original-6 teams through the Winter Classic. Like I said, these are rumors I heard while talking to some people at a local sports store, and it would require the NHL to not exclude the Canadian teams from the WC.

These wouldn't be all O6 matchups according to the rumor, it would be an O6 team vs another non-O6 team.