• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VM1138

Which Is the Better Team?

Rate this topic

I was perusing the standings on NHL.com and was sorting them by various categories. I haven't been able to see any non-Wings games yet this year, and I was curious, out of the top teams in the league, which are ACTUALLY the best?

Right now the standings (league-wide) are:

1. Pittsburgh (44 pts, 31 games)

2. Philadelphia (43 pts, 31 games)

3. Detroit (41 pts, 28 games)

4. Washington (39 pts, 31 games)

Below Washington I think there's probably a drop-off. Montreal is closest, but they have more games in hand than Boston and Dallas, neither of which are all that close to the top 4, so if they don't count, and Montreal is closer to them I decided to cut it off at Washington.

Anyway, my eye first goes to games played. However, even if the Wings win their next 3 and the other teams hypothetically wouldn't play any games, they'd still only have 47 points to Pittsburgh's 44, not a terribly huge margin.

So with the top being very close, which teams are actually legit do you think? Are any considerably weaker? I've heard Pittsburgh is riding Crosby, and their depth isn't there. If true, I imagine Crosby will run out of steam before too long and their team will drop. As for the other teams, I'm completely unfamiliar with how they're doing this year.

My pure guess, from the superficial reading I've done, is that Philly and Detroit are legit, Washington is on the bubble, and Pittsburgh is just on a hot streak at the moment.

I tend to agree with most of the stuff you said with the excemption I dont think that the Pens are just on a hot streak I believe that the Pens are a really good team and before the season i told my buddy that I think its gonna be the Penguins and Wings in the finals and so far imo those two are the best teams in the league. The only thing that scares me about the Pens is the inconsistency of Marc Andre Fluery some games he looks dominant and other games he looks terrible. The Flyers also look for real this year and the Caps ehhh another first round exit until they show they can win in the Playoffs.

the pens are being upheld by crosby. Seriously, that guy is absolutely on fire.

So as far as teams, i'd say philly and detroit would be comparable in the top spot. also, washington is on a losing streak, pile up 2 or 3 wins out of their last 5, and they are right up there in points w/ pitt and philly.

Edited by nate94gt

Guest mindfly

Pittsburgh: Rely too much on crosby, will be difficult for them in the playoffs.

Philly: Really good playoffs team, definitely the biggest challenge for detroit in the east.

Washington: A bit overrated team, and even though you think third time is a charm, i don't they will go that far in the playoffs.

Pitty is a legit team for sure but they are really riding Crosby big time. They went on a huge win streak but htey somehow managed to play horrible teams like 11 games straight. In those 11 games only about 2 teams were playoff calibre and none were that great.

Crosby is on a tear though regardless. I would rather have Detroit getting offense from the defense and all 4 lines (except whatever one Hudler is on) then have just Crosby. I think the wings would beat the Pens in a series right now especially ebcause Malkin hasn't looked all that special this season

the team on a 12 game win streak

Over that streak they've played the Sabres twice (23rd), the Hurricanes (22nd), the Panthers (27th), the Senators (24th), the Flames (26th), the Rangers (10th), the Canucks (12th), the Thrashers (9th), the Blue Jackets (19th), the Devils (29th), and the Maple Leafs (28th).

That's only three playoff teams, and then only barely. Over the next 30 or so days they play mostly solid teams, that will be a better indicator of where they're at. They're the most penalized team, and I think that will be one factor that will see them drop a little.

Guest Stolberg

looks like the wings have benefited from playing average to below average teams too!

should probably take into account where the teams were in the standings on the day of the game, whatever

columbus are one point removed from 8th place btw

Edmonton (25th)

Phoenix (13th)

Edmonton (25th)

Colorado (15th)

St. Louis (19th)

Calgary (26th)

Columbus (19th)

Columbus (19th)

San Jose (16th)

Anaheim (17th)

Montreal (5th)

New Jersey (29th)

To be honest if we had to play Pittsburgh in a SCF right now, I'd definitely give us the edge. Crosby may be on fire, but we've proven that we're able to shut him down consistently.

Philadelphia is really the only team that scares me in the East. Washington is decent, but they have no defense to speak of, and we all know that's what wins Cups.

The Pens are definitely having a hot streak, and it can't last forever, but at the same time I think they're good enough to compete for the top spot after their streak ends and Crosby slows down. I agree that we have a definite advantage with our depth, though, and that the Pens are relying really darn heavily on Crosby, so I quite like our chances, too.

I haven't been paying a lick of attention to Philly this season, I have to admit, so I'll take your word for it that they still look strong. Washington...I think they're going to do worse in the standings this year and make another 1st round exit (and this is coming from somebody who kind of likes them). I can see where they would still have hope in the last couple years, but this year I think they're going to start seeing a pattern and be a little more pessimistic.

Guest mindfly

Zetterberg will own crosby in the playoffs again if they meet, won't be a 09 playoffs performance but a 2008, he wants to prove he can still shut him down.

right ?? where did a 15 game winning streak get Washington last year ?

True, but the Caps have their own special issues...as in they're chokers. I know the Pens didn't exactly dominate last year, but they're not habitual chokers. This streak may or may not take them all the way, but I do think they're a pretty good team (but not with as much depth as us, obviously) that has confidence from having done it before.

Guest Crymson

Philadelphia seems like another Anaheim of 07.

You mean the type that needs significant help from the officiating in order to beat a Red Wings team that is suffering from numerous injuries to key players?

Guest Stolberg

right ?? where did a 15 game winning streak get Washington last year ?

1st place in the league

True, but the Caps have their own special issues...as in they're chokers. I know the Pens didn't exactly dominate last year, but they're not habitual chokers. This streak may or may not take them all the way, but I do think they're a pretty good team (but not with as much depth as us, obviously) that has confidence from having done it before.

I totally agree there an good team, but to say winning streaks makes a team good instantly is ridiculous. If Pens were to play a team with a shutdown player (Zetterberg / Datsyuk for example) then Crosby streak would end and probably along with their winning streak because hes doing everything for that team right now, playmaking, scoring, playing defense. Philly is the only team I see posing a problem for the Wings because of there depth, goal scorers on 3 lines and a good 4th grind line. Leino would enjoy it im sure, along with Pronger too.

As much as I'd like to see a Det/Pitt match-up, I'd be very intrigued with a Det/Phil SCF, if we were so blessed. That would be an intense series. Rematch even.

I wouldn't.

Everytime we play them, they seem to bully our team out of the game.

That would be a bad matchup for us physically, especially in the final round of the playoffs against a team that would be super hungry after coming so close last year.

I wouldn't.

Everytime we play them, they seem to bully our team out of the game.

That would be a bad matchup for us physically, especially in the final round of the playoffs against a team that would be super hungry after coming so close last year.

I guess I don't prefer easy roads to glory. :)