Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

12/13 GDT: Kings, Lots (5) at Red Wings, None (0)

• Please log in to reply
537 replies to this topic

#521 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:11 AM

At this rate, however, I am of the belief Hank and Pavel will still end up on different lines come playoff time.

It's funny because the past 4 years, the playoffs have always ended with Zetterberg and Datsyuk on the same line, with Filppula centering the second line. In fact, what was that one year in 2008 when we one the Stanley Cup with Filppula centering the second line completely shutting down Malkin? Oh yeah, 2008. 3 years ago. One season removed from his rookie season.

Or how about when Filppula put up a 57 point pace during the 09 playoffs when he barely played half the games on the second line.

Or how about last playoffs when he put up 9 points in 12 games (62 point pace) when, for half the games, he had a broken rib and probably was hurting to breathe, let alone score?

Or the first 7 games of this season when he had 7 points. Obviously he hasn't kept near that pace since then, but it's not that Filppula isn't playing consistently, Franzen and Bert have just done s***. How many goals has Franzen scored this year that weren't perfect setups from Fil or Pav that were on an open net?

And you don't get 8 points in 3 games without being skilled offensively, period. Obviously he's never going to match anything close to that pace, but it happened nevertheless. It wasn't an accident that it happened.

Or when he put up 16 points in 20 games after he came back from injury last year playing with Miller, Abdelkader, Leino and Cleary? A wrist injury, no less. I've never played hockey since I was really young, so I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure having strong wrists are pretty important.

Seriously, if you want to argue that he isn't going to reach his potential and skill level consistently, that is one thing. But to say that he doesn't have offensive talent or the potential, it's just absolutely stupid. And when gcom says that he doesn't even know where to be in the offensive zone, it's completely retarded.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 14 December 2010 - 09:13 AM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#522 casey holmstrom

casey holmstrom

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:04 AM

The Islanders lost last night 5-0 as well. that makes them 1-17-3 in the last 21 games...
HOLD YOU HEADS HIGH WINGS FANS!

LAUGH OUT LOUD!
man that is bad!
Posted Image

#523 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:09 PM

i would say they played a good game if they didnt let in 5 goals.

#524 Zonly1

Zonly1

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

The Islanders lost last night 5-0 as well. that makes them 1-17-3 in the last 21 games...
HOLD YOU HEADS HIGH WINGS FANS!

LAUGH OUT LOUD!
man that is bad!

Yep, Pittsburgh and Philly get the benefit of playing NJ and NYI (bottom feeders) several times a year. Two worst teams in the league in the Atlantic division, and yet they like to say it's the strongest. B.S.

#525 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:43 PM

You guys are funny. Did you all conveniently forget about the first part of the season when the 2nd line literally carried the team?

For the first four games, and then fell into a slump for a bit? Or do you mean later, when DZH was clicking big time and outplaying the second line even though the second line was playing pretty well? How about facts instead of fiction?
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#526 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:05 PM

It's funny because the past 4 years, the playoffs have always ended with Zetterberg and Datsyuk on the same line, with Filppula centering the second line. In fact, what was that one year in 2008 when we one the Stanley Cup with Filppula centering the second line completely shutting down Malkin? Oh yeah, 2008. 3 years ago. One season removed from his rookie season.

Malkin was responsible for the overtime goal in Game 5 that prolonged the series, and his line was responsible for two goals in Game 6. Osgood posted two impressive shutouts in the first two games, so tell me exactly where Filppula shut Malkin down? In Games three and four? Flip is a darn good defensive player, but Malkin pretty much owned Flip after Dats and Z were put back together.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#527 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:28 PM

Malkin had 19 points in 14 games coming into the Finals, where he then had 3 points in 6 games. I'd say that's shutting him down pretty effectively.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 14 December 2010 - 03:28 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#528 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

If you trade Filppula then who centers the second line? Do you split up the twins just to fit your own desires?

What it really came down to in 2009 was Franzen or Hossa, and I would have chosen Hossa every day of the week.

Franzen, Flip, and Hudler combo was chosen because it allowed more depth. The current difference between Mule's and Hossa's cap hit is ~$1.3M which is very valuable for depth. Also considering his lack luster playoff performance it was obvious who the Wings would choose.

You don't like Filppula, we get it. Stop blatantly disregarding what he has done and what he shows he is capable of. He isn't the only player on his line, you know. It's not like Franzen and Bert have been amazing and he's dragging them down. Flip is the only player noticeable on his line, Franzen and Bert do s***.

That said, he has had a pretty disappointing year so far, but again, I think you can attribute that to the play of the players on his line. Franzen can't do s*** right now and Bert just pretty much rides along with who he happens to be playing with, he isn't a bonafide second liner.

Considering Bert has more points and a better +/- than Flip I think he is doing better and not doing s*** as you say.

#529 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

seriously when was the last game the wings played good? Devils? No, outshot and outplayed most of the game ozzie saved us. Habs? No habs controlled play 5 on 5, PP time saved us. 3 losses before that. wings just have to play better as a team. the 2nd line needs to do something and howard needs to make somef****** saves. start ozzie next game, huds or cleary to the 2nd line bert or franzen to the 3rd line. change is needed

Wow. I am glad that the collective LGW forum members are not in charge of the team. The Wings are 1st in the West. 1st fricking place. Yet, they get no credit. Zippo. 3rd in goals per game. 11th in goals against. 10th in power play. 9th in penalty killing. 6-3-1 in their last 10 games. Room for improvement? Yup. Time to hit the panic button? No.

I know a lot of people think about 2002 when we had that star studded lineup, but many people forget that that same star studded lineup went 1-5-1 at one point in December. They also went 0-3-2-2 in the month of April. The point here is that every team is going to have ups and downs through the course of the season.

The Wings are going to have good and bad games. So far, they have won far more than they have lost. They are your leaders in the Western Conference. Yet, the LGW forum members cannot back them as a whole. We still have a deep division of people who like to play the blame game. True fans of a team I must say. /sarcasm
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#530 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

Typical "sky is falling" mentality in here. Not sure why people need to post a novel to prove to others about this team. How about this one?

Still in 1st place.

Carry on chicken littles.

Edited by HankthaTank, 14 December 2010 - 04:07 PM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#531 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:08 PM

lol @ the devils outplaying the wings that game

mindfly-lite

#532 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:06 PM

Wow. I am glad that the collective LGW forum members are not in charge of the team. The Wings are 1st in the West. 1st fricking place. Yet, they get no credit. Zippo. 3rd in goals per game. 11th in goals against. 10th in power play. 9th in penalty killing. 6-3-1 in their last 10 games. Room for improvement? Yup. Time to hit the panic button? No.

I know a lot of people think about 2002 when we had that star studded lineup, but many people forget that that same star studded lineup went 1-5-1 at one point in December. They also went 0-3-2-2 in the month of April. The point here is that every team is going to have ups and downs through the course of the season.

The Wings are going to have good and bad games. So far, they have won far more than they have lost. They are your leaders in the Western Conference. Yet, the LGW forum members cannot back them as a whole. We still have a deep division of people who like to play the blame game. True fans of a team I must say. /sarcasm

I give them credit all the time, all im saying is the last 5 games havent been great games for the wings. i am more then happy with the position theyre in now

lol @ the devils outplaying the wings that game

mindfly-lite

if i recall most of the play being in the wings end of the ice

#533 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:06 PM

we lost a game ahhhhhhh we suck now!!!!!! switch the lines pull the trigger on all sorts of trades this team needes a change fast.
Posted Image

#534 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

We faced a wall, that's bound to happen a bit. It IS the NHL.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#535 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

We faced a wall, that's bound to happen a bit. It IS the NHL.

Nu-uh.

#536 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

Typical "sky is falling" mentality in here. Not sure why people need to post a novel to prove to others about this team. How about this one?

Still in 1st place.

Carry on chicken littles.

it happens every time the wings lose

#537 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:51 PM

it happens every time the wings lose

Well aware. That's why it is more or less not a place to be after a loss. You almost get brainwashed by the mindfly's and others that we are probably the worst team in the NHL.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#538 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

The only thing which frustrates me about the Wings' overall play is their inability to start on time. It seems like the first period they are outplayed and look lost. Then they come out in the second period and find their game again. This team has the ability to play much better than they have even during the first 2 months of the season. I think they won some games during that time that they likely should have lost. Yeah, we're spoiled Wings fans and we do expect quite a bit from them. But they expect the same from themselves. I just wish they could do the things which Babs talks about like starting on time, outworking your opponent and winning the one on one battles and just wanting it more. I still think this team has another gear they can get to but maybe they don't hit it until the playoffs. Having the best winning percentage in hockey is a positive so they must be doing something right. I just think they can play better. If the Pens can win 12 in a row, I don't see a reason why the Wings can't go on a similar streak. The West is tougher to play in than the East is but the Wings have the talent and depth to do it.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams