• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:02 AM

this has to be one of the weirdest goals ever. Mikko koivu loses his stick, so he takes Bobby Ryan's stick from his hands. one of the wild players actually knocks the lying stick closer to Ryan, and Ryan uses it to score.

#2 Blueliner

Blueliner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:07 AM

That's awesome.

#3 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:15 AM

Funny, I actually thought about a situation like this the other day considering you can give your stick to your goalie, etc. Never thought it was okay to pick up someone's stick from the other team.

Posted Image

#4 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:25 AM

The announcers had no idea whatsoever that bobby ryan literally got his own stick taken from his grasp... that was extremely strange. I'm pretty sure its illegal to use another players stick, but it was missed. I'm not sure though.

#5 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:28 AM

I never thought to just take someone else's stick in case mine was slashed away.

#6 scottj

scottj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:13 AM

I like how after he scores he motions to Koivu like "HEY I THINK YOU DROPPED THIS"

lol

n I figure the wild player thought that Koivu still didn't have his stick n f'd up

#7 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:23 AM

Epic!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#8 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:16 AM

Noice Noice....but f*** the mighty ducks!

#9 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:17 AM

that was pretty funny.

kinda weird that mietennan (sp?) was pushing the spare stick around. while i assume he saw it was a familiar stick, i would also have to assume he realized the only person without a stick was ryan. had he just left it alone, ryan would have had to go get that spare stick and most likely not been in that great spot for the rebound.

definitely a bizarre play though.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#10 stormboy

stormboy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:00 AM

this is not a rule i'm familiar with specifically, but wouldn't stealing someone else's stick be illegal? i don't understand why koivu would do that in the first place...maybe he figured that taking a penalty was better than having the puck in his team's end without him having a stick??? that doesn't really make sense. it would be sort of hilarious to see that happen more, though -- lidstrom breaks his stick, then just swipes shea weber's. :lol:

hate the ducks of course, but don't mind bobby ryan too much in and of himself. it's also funny that ryan is a right hand shot while koivu is a left hand shot -- i thought he looked sort of weird and awkward when he took the shot -- he was using an opposite-handed stick!

go wings.

#11 kugz

kugz

Prospect

• 47 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:26 AM

Would this not constitute as holding the stick(I guess for both of them)?
hilarious though!

#12 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:34 AM

Koivu could have been called for holding the stick and/or unsportsmanlike conduct, plus a penalty shot could have been called on the play. All in all, the Ducks could very realistically have come off of that play with 2 goals going into a 2:00 PP.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#13 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:45 AM

Koivu could have been called for holding the stick and/or unsportsmanlike conduct, plus a penalty shot could have been called on the play. All in all, the Ducks could very realistically have come off of that play with 2 goals going into a 2:00 PP.

now you're just getting greedy Posted ImagePosted Image

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#14 Gizmo

Gizmo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:46 AM

this is not a rule i'm familiar with specifically, but wouldn't stealing someone else's stick be illegal?

Me thinks it'd be Interference at the minimum!
"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... outta da crease... in-a da crease... outta da crease!!!"

#15 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:11 PM

If he could score with Draper's stick, then I'd really be impressed.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#16 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:41 PM

Just like Ryan should've been assessed 2 for illegal stick and another 2 for unsportsmanlike conduct. Oh, also, it clearly wasn't a legal goal.

78.4 Scoring a Goal - A goal shall be scored when the puck shall have been put between the goal posts by the stick of a player of the attacking side,

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#17 Lord Stanely

Lord Stanely

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts
  • Location:North Central Iowa, via Chicago, via Adrian, MI; via Warren

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:43 PM

If he could score with Draper's HUDLER'S stick, then I'd really be impressed.

Fixed it for you!

Edited by Lord Stanely, 13 December 2010 - 04:43 PM.

Stuck in God-forsaken North Central Iowa with no hockey, hills, food or trees!

#18 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:33 PM

Haha!

Miettinen tried to move the loose stick in the shooting lane to block any low shots coming from that way, but apparantly he didn't realize Ryan was right there looking for a stick. Instead of blocking the shooting lane with the stick, he ended up helping Ryan out by giving him a stick back to score with. Funny stuff!

Edited by sleepwalker, 13 December 2010 - 05:34 PM.

#19 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:37 PM

That's awesome.

I have no other words. That was f*cking awesome!

Haha!

Just like Ryan should've been assessed 2 for illegal stick and another 2 for unsportsmanlike conduct. Oh, also, it clearly wasn't a legal goal.

78.4 Scoring a Goal - A goal shall be scored when the puck shall have been put between the goal posts by the stick of a player of the attacking side,

That's clearly the first portion of the general rule of scoring. There's plenty of other legal ways to score aside from simply what was stated in that rule. I.E., A player from the defending team who knocks the puck into his own net still counts as a goal. Same goes for if it deflects off an offending or defending players' body or skates.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#20 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

I give it two waffles
Posted ImagePosted Image

Detroit would like to welcome the Eastern Conference

13416406403_264f5aaa63_o.jpg