• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:12 PM

Flyers enforcer Jody Shelley has been suspended for 2 games for his hit from behind on Bruins defenseman Adam McQuaid. Seems like a fair suspension, judging it was on an icing call..The hit was exactly what the league is trying to get rid of.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#2 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:14 PM

Flyers enforcer Jody Shelley has been suspended for 2 games for his hit from behind on Bruins defenseman Adam McQuaid. Seems like a fair suspension, judging it was on an icing call..The hit was exactly what the league is trying to get rid of.

Can you post a video?
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#3 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34po0ce-PFc

And a great deal of concern for Adam McQuaid

not from shelley. what a chooch.
Posted Image

#4 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:42 AM

hes lucky. looks like most of the impact went to his shoulder. had that been head on into the boards he'd been done-zo.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#5 SiLkK19

SiLkK19

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:53 AM

Man I hate shelly. It's a good thing everytime he fights he gets his ass handed to him.

#6 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:37 AM

Only two games? That's ridiculous. Shelley could have killed McQuaid on that hit. 8 games minimum.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#7 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:57 AM

The only reason I think it should have been 5 + games is that McQuaid didn't even touch the puck for icing, Ference does on the other side of the net.

IMO 5+ games was necessary.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#8 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:00 AM

Like others have said, that needed to be 5+ games at least. If McQuaid wasn't angled the way he was the result would have been a lot more severe. Complete bonehead play by Shelley.

#9 NEEDMOREGRIT

NEEDMOREGRIT

Rookie

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

That's some good old time hockey there :thumbup: I'd take Shelley over Hudler any day.

#10 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

That's some good old time hockey there :thumbup: I'd take Shelley over Hudler any day.

Hits like this didn't happen in old time hockey. They didn't play recklessly, just tough. a lot more stick work. also the game didn't move 200mph creating opportunities for possible life ending accidents.

#11 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

Like others have said, that needed to be 5+ games at least. If McQuaid wasn't angled the way he was the result would have been a lot more severe. Complete bonehead play by Shelley.

True, but we should all realize by now that the league does not hand out suspensions based on the act itself, they hand out suspensions based on the result of the act.

If McQuaid had gotten right up, the league probably wouldn't have suspended Shelly. If McQuaid had been injured, we would have seen a 5+ game suspension. Had he been paralyzed, Shelly would have been out for the season.

Thats just the way it goes, like it or not.

#12 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:17 PM

that's some good old time stupidity there :thumbup:
Posted Image

#13 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

that's some good old time stupidity there :thumbup:

Jody Shelley - 1 goal in 31 games
Jiri Hudler - 1 goal in 25 games

I guess Hudler has 6 games to show that he's a better goal scorer than Shelley this year. Until then, you shouldn't accuse anyone else of being stupid.

Oh, and this doesn't take into account icetime and PP time.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#14 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:55 PM

I guess Hudler has 6 games to show that he's a better goal scorer than Shelley this year. Until then, you shouldn't accuse anyone else of being stupid.

so you're saying with a straight face that jiri hudler has peaked with his potential and is on the decline, so much so that he should be compared to jody shelley's skillset? really, with a straight face? you'd make that deal straight up?

you're right, i shouldn't have called him stupid. i should have called you stupid and him an idiot.

and i was also referring to the 'ole-timey hockey' crap holmes was spewing. that's not old-time, that's just cheap and reckless and you could tell he had no concern whether that guy was going to get back up or not. i wish i knew what chara said to him on his way out with the trainer.
Posted Image

#15 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:55 PM

So you're admitting that the hit wasn't stupid? Wow...
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#16 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:00 PM

so you're saying with a straight face that jiri hudler has peaked with his potential and is on the decline, so much so that he should be compared to jody shelley's skillset? really, with a straight face? you'd make that deal straight up?

you're right, i shouldn't have called him stupid. i should have called you stupid and him an idiot.

and i was also referring to the 'ole-timey hockey' crap holmes was spewing. that's not old-time, that's just cheap and reckless and you could tell he had no concern whether that guy was going to get back up or not. i wish i knew what chara said to him on his way out with the trainer.

I'm just saying Shelley is better at his role than Hudler is at his. And he's apparently scoring just as well as Hudler is.

Such a trade wouldn't shock me. We made virtually the same deal last year, when Leino was involved. Tollefson was just a fighter, and he didn't even play here. I suppose Holland is stupid too for making that trade.

I'd trade Hudler for a bag of popcorn right now, let alone for Shelley. All he's doing is just taking up cap space and roster space.

#17 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:30 PM

I'm just saying Shelley is better at his role than Hudler is at his. And he's apparently scoring just as well as Hudler is.

Such a trade wouldn't shock me. We made virtually the same deal last year, when Leino was involved. Tollefson was just a fighter, and he didn't even play here. I suppose Holland is stupid too for making that trade.

I'd trade Hudler for a bag of popcorn right now, let alone for Shelley. All he's doing is just taking up cap space and roster space.

good points.

i'd rather trade hudler for somebody tougher in our lineup, but the guy would have to be able to skate and somebody like shelley just couldn't keep up. plus he's a meathead and totally out of character for this team.

teams don't tend to unload tough guys who can skate very readily. maybe if hudler is still playing this poorly come march we could find a team heavy on tough that needs more finesse and make a deal. i've not totally given up on him yet, though, and it doesn’t sound like babcock has either.
Posted Image

#18 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hudler is irritating me too...but how is that in any way a valid point here?

We're talking about the stupidity of a reckless hit. And then you essentially say, "You can't say it's a stupid play because he has as many points as Hudler." WTF?

Oh, and that should have been way more than 2 games. He could have killed the guy.

Edited by Zetts, 14 December 2010 - 09:51 PM.

#19 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

Hudler is irritating me too...but how is that in any way a valid point here?

We're talking about the stupidity of a reckless hit. And then you essentially say, "You can't say it's a stupid play because he has as many points as Hudler." WTF?

Oh, and that should have been way more than 2 games. He could have killed the guy.

I never said any such thing.

Someone said we should trade Hudler for Shelley, and I actually decided to defend that argument, in my own special way.

I never said the hit was or wasn't dirty.

#20 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

I think it is a fair suspension. The league did a good job here. Message sent. The league doesn't want body contact like that on an icing call. Fair enough.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien