• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

acidroach420

Osgood interviewing Lidstrom

Rate this topic

Also accompanied by an article that asks, 'Is Nicklas Lidstrom [the] greatest defenseman of all time?'

DETROIT -- The passes are tape to tape, right in the middle of the stick blade, timed just right for the player taking it in stride. One after the other -- zip, zip, zip -- Nicklas Lidstrom seemingly can't miss.

It's a Thursday morning practice at Joe Louis Arena, one just like any other of the 3,000 or so practices he's skated in the past 20 years. And just like those other times, Lidstrom is dead-on every single time he makes a play.

"We call him the Perfect Human," said Detroit Red Wings teammate Niklas Kronwall. "And there's a reason for it. Whatever he does, he seems to do perfectly, so I think that's a pretty good nickname."

The Perfect Human is 40 years old. Not that you can tell while watching him on the ice this season. After failing to get nominated for the Norris Trophy in 2009-10, Lidstrom is back stronger than ever, and if the season ended today, it says here he'd be picking up his seventh award as the NHL's top defenseman.

"There's no better defenseman in the league right now, all-around, than him," former teammate Chris Chelios, a future Hall of Famer himself on defense, told ESPN.com last week.

The question is, where does he rank all time? As Lidstrom's career draws to a close, whether that's next season or five years from now, his body of work is complete enough now to make proper comparisons.

Bobby Orr remains No. 1 for most, including this writer, but you get a pretty good argument after him between Lidstrom and seven-time Norris winner Doug Harvey. There's no question that Denis Potvin, Larry Robinson, Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey and Scott Niedermayer are among the others who have a pretty good case, but when you talk to people in the game, they usually go with either Lidstrom or Harvey at No. 2.

That's rarified air.

"I don't think there's any question he's in that conversation, no question," Orr told ESPN.com last week. "I mean, you talk about longevity, he's 40, and putting the numbers that he puts up. The success that team has had is mainly because of his play, it's been incredible. He's a class individual. Never heard a bad word about the man. And he plays the way he plays. What else can you ask for?"

Full article on ESPN.com

Also accompanied by an article that asks, 'Is Nicklas Lidstrom [the] greatest defenseman of all time?'

Full article on ESPN.com

One thing he failed to mention that puts Lids ahead on the list is that, in addition to his longevity, when the game changed he changed. When the NHL changed some of the rules around in the past 6/7 years or so a lot of old school defenseman struggled. Lids was not only able to adapt to the new style of play, but keep up his consistance as well.

Great interview! I always enjoy player - player interviews! One of my favorite is McCarty interviewing Osgood! (

)

Great material on Lidstrom though! Definitely 2nd best defenseman of all time! It will be just as tough watching Lidstrom retire when the day comes as it was watching Yzerman retire.

HAhaha!! I haven't even seen all of it and I'm already dying at the fact that Ozzie doesn't have a shirt on...again.

Edit: Ok, just saw all of it. That was way too adorable. And yeah, Ozzie was saying "LiNdstrom". I also love that during some of the questions Nick's trying not to laugh! I just love our boys. :lol:

Edited by wingnut40

During Mike Babcock's first season behind the Wings' bench in 2005-06, he said he had to wait until 50-odd games into the season before Lidstrom finally made a blunder during a drill at practice.

"And then I got all over him," Babcock laughed as he recalled the story. "I couldn't believe he made a bad pass."

That's some funny crap right there.

EDIT: I watched the Melrose interview... big mistake.

Edited by dragonballgtz

Guest Stolberg

would like an interview where the person isn't telling nick how great he is for 80% of it

Here's another one from Scotty Bowman's perspective, having coached both Doug Harvey and Nick Lidstrom and comparing the two.

Add that to the "I never knew that" category :thumbup: Interesting that he compares Lidstrom + Harvey and not LIdstrom + Robinson.....