• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

There was a funny little scene at the end of practice today, as coach Mike Babcock ended up using words that rarely cross his lips while deflecting talk of when Chris Osgood should get his next start. Babcock has a routine: One game at a time, he decides who's starting in goal. But with Osgood having hit 399 career victories Saturday at New Jersey, Babcock repeatedly has been asked of late when Osgood will get his next start. It won't be Wednesday, when the Wings host St. Louis, because Babcock said today that, as expected, Jimmy Howard will be in net. The Wings next play Friday at Chicago, Sunday at home against Dallas, Dec. 22 at home against Vancouver and then Dec. 23 at St. Louis. If nothing else, Osgood is certain to be in Dec. 23, as it's the second of a back-to-back game.

But when a media member (not a beat writer, by the way) asked Babcock today whether he had a warm, gooey spot for letting Osgood go for No. 400 at home, Babcock was hilarious.

"I never thought much about that," he said, smiling. "I thought about winning. And I thought Howie is starting tomorrow. But you guys have brought it to my attention that I should, so, now I'm going to go back, I'm going to sit in my office, I'm going to talk to the coaches. I'm going to say, 'Should we have a warm, gooey spot -- is that how I say it, warm, gooey? OK? See you guys."

As nice as it might be to see Osgood become the 10th goaltender in NHL history to reach 400 victories at home, Babcock's bottom line, from the day he got here, has always been about winning. So if Howard plays well Wednesday, he'll be in Friday, and probably Sunday, too.

Babcock isn't concerned with when Osgood reaches his milestone, just that he does.

"I just want him to do it," Babcock said. "I don't care if that's at home or on the road. But I mean, we'll be thrilled for him when that happens. The good thing about it is, it's going to happen."

Edited by evilzyme, 14 December 2010 - 04:29 PM.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#2 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:29 PM

Ew.

#3 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:32 PM

That guy is all business.

#4 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:33 PM

i was expecting to see oz tomorrow.

#5 megaelixir

megaelixir

why hello there mister kronwall

• 49 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:41 PM

I'm incredibly bummed that Ozzie's not starting tomorrow.

Posted Image

#6 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:46 PM

Video; http://video.redwing...tid=77&id=87446

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#7 Joey v3.4

Joey v3.4

Stoned

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

Babcock being all business, is a good thing. Would be cool to see Ozzie win 400 at home, but it's good that Babcock sticks with what's "Best".

Ozzie needs to get 400, but Babcock has an entire team to worry about, and one that is slumping a bit.

His all business approach, wins a lot of hockey games.
And Boom goes the Dynamite.

#8 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

You can't start Ozzie tomorrow just because of 400. It's the "team" that needs to get a win and sticking with Jimmy for confidence in him is the best option. Pulling him out for this less than good start to me is asinine and people on here know this. 400 will come this year, no worries.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#9 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:08 PM

Babcock being all business, is a good thing. Would be cool to see Ozzie win 400 at home, but it's good that Babcock sticks with what's "Best".

mike babcock has been our best acquisition in the past 10 years.
Posted Image

#10 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:35 PM

I would rather have Ozzie play against Dallas instead of Vancouver.

#11 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

You can't start Ozzie tomorrow just because of 400. It's the "team" that needs to get a win and sticking with Jimmy for confidence in him is the best option. Pulling him out for this less than good start to me is asinine and people on here know this. 400 will come this year, no worries.

How is it asinine? Howards been shaky and ozzie has played well

#12 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:11 PM

If Howard is shaky tonight, Babcock should bench him, tell him to get his head in order just like he does with other players. Let Ozzie come in and see if he can turn his great game into a streak.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#13 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

If Howard is shaky tonight, Babcock should bench him, tell him to get his head in order just like he does with other players. Let Ozzie come in and see if he can turn his great game into a streak.

I agree with this, but if it does happen Howard would only sit for 1 game because for some reason Babcock is afraid to play Ozzie in consecutive games.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#14 droz

droz

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

I agree with this, but if it does happen Howard would only sit for 1 game because for some reason Babcock is afraid to play Ozzie in consecutive games.

I don't think Babcock is "afraid" to play Osgood in back to backs, Howard is the starter. How many teams will play the backup for consecutive games without an injury or horrible play by the starter?

#15 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

I don't think Babcock is "afraid" to play Osgood in back to backs, Howard is the starter. How many teams will play the backup for consecutive games without an injury or horrible play by the starter?

I think Jimmy is nearing or has already surpassed that lately.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#16 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:11 PM

Ozzie Started 2 in a row earlier this year
I think anyways

Edited by nate94gt, 15 December 2010 - 02:11 PM.

#17 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

Stats for last 4 starts.

Howard: 1-3-0, 15 GA, 3.79 GAA, 123 shots/108 saves, .878 save%
Osgood: 2-1-1, 9 GA, 2.22 GAA, 119 shots/110 saves, .924 save%

#18 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:22 AM

Couple years ago Bab's didn't have a problem playing Ozzie in the Playoffs.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#19 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

Osgood starting on the 23rd seems likely, as it's a back-to-back, but I'd really prefer them to hold off until the 31st. Let Osgood play the Islanders. Right now Dallas and Vancouver are the only other home games in December, and each team is at the top of their division.

I'm down with Babcock's all business approach, but this is a pretty important milestone too. Let him do it at home with a higher chance of winning.

#20 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

mike babcock has been our best acquisition in the past 10 years.

Ooooh, now there's a thread. Babcock or Zetterberg? Babcock or Datsyuk?

Anyway, Ozzie just needs to play, get it done and get it out the way. He's been on about 400 wins for a couple of years now so its clearly important to him.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk