• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilzyme

Babcock considers having 'warm, gooey spot' for Chris Osgood

Rate this topic

There was a funny little scene at the end of practice today, as coach Mike Babcock ended up using words that rarely cross his lips while deflecting talk of when Chris Osgood should get his next start. Babcock has a routine: One game at a time, he decides who's starting in goal. But with Osgood having hit 399 career victories Saturday at New Jersey, Babcock repeatedly has been asked of late when Osgood will get his next start. It won't be Wednesday, when the Wings host St. Louis, because Babcock said today that, as expected, Jimmy Howard will be in net. The Wings next play Friday at Chicago, Sunday at home against Dallas, Dec. 22 at home against Vancouver and then Dec. 23 at St. Louis. If nothing else, Osgood is certain to be in Dec. 23, as it's the second of a back-to-back game.

But when a media member (not a beat writer, by the way) asked Babcock today whether he had a warm, gooey spot for letting Osgood go for No. 400 at home, Babcock was hilarious.

"I never thought much about that," he said, smiling. "I thought about winning. And I thought Howie is starting tomorrow. But you guys have brought it to my attention that I should, so, now I'm going to go back, I'm going to sit in my office, I'm going to talk to the coaches. I'm going to say, 'Should we have a warm, gooey spot -- is that how I say it, warm, gooey? OK? See you guys."

As nice as it might be to see Osgood become the 10th goaltender in NHL history to reach 400 victories at home, Babcock's bottom line, from the day he got here, has always been about winning. So if Howard plays well Wednesday, he'll be in Friday, and probably Sunday, too.

Babcock isn't concerned with when Osgood reaches his milestone, just that he does.

"I just want him to do it," Babcock said. "I don't care if that's at home or on the road. But I mean, we'll be thrilled for him when that happens. The good thing about it is, it's going to happen."

Edited by evilzyme

Babcock being all business, is a good thing. Would be cool to see Ozzie win 400 at home, but it's good that Babcock sticks with what's "Best".

Ozzie needs to get 400, but Babcock has an entire team to worry about, and one that is slumping a bit.

His all business approach, wins a lot of hockey games.

You can't start Ozzie tomorrow just because of 400. It's the "team" that needs to get a win and sticking with Jimmy for confidence in him is the best option. Pulling him out for this less than good start to me is asinine and people on here know this. 400 will come this year, no worries.

You can't start Ozzie tomorrow just because of 400. It's the "team" that needs to get a win and sticking with Jimmy for confidence in him is the best option. Pulling him out for this less than good start to me is asinine and people on here know this. 400 will come this year, no worries.

How is it asinine? Howards been shaky and ozzie has played well

If Howard is shaky tonight, Babcock should bench him, tell him to get his head in order just like he does with other players. Let Ozzie come in and see if he can turn his great game into a streak.

I agree with this, but if it does happen Howard would only sit for 1 game because for some reason Babcock is afraid to play Ozzie in consecutive games.

I agree with this, but if it does happen Howard would only sit for 1 game because for some reason Babcock is afraid to play Ozzie in consecutive games.

I don't think Babcock is "afraid" to play Osgood in back to backs, Howard is the starter. How many teams will play the backup for consecutive games without an injury or horrible play by the starter?

Osgood starting on the 23rd seems likely, as it's a back-to-back, but I'd really prefer them to hold off until the 31st. Let Osgood play the Islanders. Right now Dallas and Vancouver are the only other home games in December, and each team is at the top of their division.

I'm down with Babcock's all business approach, but this is a pretty important milestone too. Let him do it at home with a higher chance of winning.

mike babcock has been our best acquisition in the past 10 years.

Ooooh, now there's a thread. Babcock or Zetterberg? Babcock or Datsyuk?

Anyway, Ozzie just needs to play, get it done and get it out the way. He's been on about 400 wins for a couple of years now so its clearly important to him.