• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Toefuzz

Friday's Game in Chicago

Rate this topic

I live in the Chicago suburbs...if you think the Bear fans were bad its only gonna be worse at the united center. Best advice is just ignore anything that is screamed at you as most of those doing it don't know anything regarding hockey.

As far as food goes...try Billy Goat's a few blocks down on Madison. Some of the best cheeseburgers you will ever eat! And won't cost you more than 6-7 bucks. Anything else just PM me and I'll help ya out.

Edited by MotorCityMadness

I think we are sitting in 310. Friend of a friend's season tickets.

Should be fun!

I think im in 307! I'll be there with my dad, I'll be the guy in a filthy beer-stained Datsyuk jersey. I've had all kinds of mixed experiences there as an opposing fan, but in general, its just a hockey game and only the true idiots get out of line. As others have said, just ignore the many stupid things you hear, the constant "Detroit Sucks" chants, and you should be alright.

As for me? Its my dad I'm worried about... :rolleyes:

Edited by hooon

I think im in 307! I'll be there with my dad, I'll be the guy in a filthy beer-stained Datsyuk jersey. I've had all kinds of mixed experiences there as an opposing fan, but in general, its just a hockey game and only the true idiots get out of line. As others have said, just ignore the many stupid things you hear, the constant "Detroit Sucks" chants, and you should be alright.

As for me? Its my dad I'm worried about... :rolleyes:

I'm going with my girlfriend (her treat :)) and I'm a bit worried about her getting hassled. Its especially unnerving because I have a cast on my arm for a broken bone in my hand so I can't even properly defend her/me if it comes down to it. Fortunately we're going with another couple so they'll have to deal with a party at least, if anyone is dumb or drunk enough to start s***.

I went to a Tigers/White Sox game in Chicago and the fans razzed us but it was all in good fun. Nothing malicious occurred. Hopefully the same blokes that go to White Sox games attend Blackhawk games in December.

I'm going with my girlfriend (her treat :)) and I'm a bit worried about her getting hassled. Its especially unnerving because I have a cast on my arm for a broken bone in my hand so I can't even properly defend her/me if it comes down to it. Fortunately we're going with another couple so they'll have to deal with a party at least, if anyone is dumb or drunk enough to start s***.

I went to a Tigers/White Sox game in Chicago and the fans razzed us but it was all in good fun. Nothing malicious occurred. Hopefully the same blokes that go to White Sox games attend Blackhawk games in December.

Wouldn't count on it.

I was wearing my Winter Classic Wings hat at a Hawks game (nothing else that was Wings-flavored) and almost got a beer dumped on me.

Some of the biggest assholes go to Hawks games. I miss the times when my dad had friends with boxes at the UC, way better to watch a game without assholes hassling us.

My wife just got me a Datsyuk jersey for Christmas and gave it to me early b/c of the game... I'll be pretty pissed if they try spilling beer on us. I had season tickets at the Griffins for several years and got to know the people I sit with, hopefully this will be the same thing so the people will be cool.

On a side note, the Griffins' wives sat next to us... several of them had HUGE rocks on their fingers and just about all of them were smoking hot. My mom got to know them pretty well, very nice ladies.

Stand your ground! Literally they will show the exact ignorance and bandwagonitis that has rocked that city over the past year. I went 2 years ago and it was just hilarious. They will really just do whatever they can to try and rile ya up. Keep cheering louder and drink a crap ton. It will be a great experience! Just get us a win!!!

I have had mixed experiences, at the winter classic all you had to do was mention the name jack skille or jordan hendry (or even patrick sharp at that time) and they would shut up. At the UC generally they are hostile in and out, and I have only been to one game where the wings have lost and that was probably the easiest game out. The best thing to do is display your hockey knowledge and they shut up because they are all clueless. And just ignore the "tough guys" but be aware o them; the game after Havsplat was annihilated by kronner and Stuart nailed him again and I was cheering about it and this tough guy kept standing up and looking at me, then he eventually hit some innocent wings fan walking to their seats celebrating right after a goal was scored

Now that i'm finally out of the service I really wanted to go to Chicago to support the wings. It's always a good game against them but from the sounds of it i'll 100% find myself in jail after going to one of their games. I wouldn't be too pleasant with anyone spilling beer on me, they'd find themselves in a nightmare of a life. Especially if i'm feeling pretty good already.

This should be an interesting experience. My wife has told me I worry too much and that I'll be fine if I keep my mouth shut (I believe she used the word obnoxious). Fortunately we won't be drinking much as we have to drive back to the South Bend area to open the store in the morning (haven't told the boss we're closing early to drive over there).

Any idea if there's much overlap with the Hawks/Wolves fans? Most of the Wolves fans I met were pretty decent, but then again they might be nicer people b/c they aren't the typical Chicago ******* who can afford tickets to the Hawks games :)

And just ignore the "tough guys" but be aware o them; the game after Havsplat was annihilated by kronner and Stuart nailed him again and I was cheering about it and this tough guy kept standing up and looking at me, then he eventually hit some innocent wings fan walking to their seats celebrating right after a goal was scored

Really? He hit someone because they were a Wings fan? I hope the UC staff kicked this a-hole out, along with the beer-spillers mentioned above. I guess I'm glad I get to watch hockey in a civilized arena. The last time I watched the Wings clobber Chicago at the Joe, there were some obnoxious, and I mean OBNOXIOUS, Hawks fans sitting right next to us. No one hit them, spilled beer on them, or even said anything nasty to them. I guess Wings fans can't expect the same treatment in their arena.

I haven't been to a Wings/Hawks game for awhile (last one was their home opener in for the 07/08 season I believe, 1st home game after William Wirtz died). Back then and years before that it was more Wings fans than Hawks, so it was actually a good time. Most Hawks fans would just boo you.

One game I went to their mascot got in my face after the Wings scored, it was the game where the Wings scored 2 goals in like the last 30 seconds of the game. I had Wings fan all around me backing me up and saying not to sit down (the mascot was telling me to sit down, even got on the chair since I was much taller than him), so that was the worst I've experienced. I'm sure now-a-days there's a lot more assholes going to games because the Hawks are winning.

Oh, I did go to the Winter Classic. I didn't have my jersey on till after the game (it was cold and I kind of forgot about it under my jacket). That wasn't bad either, good mix of Wings and Hawks fans.

Edited by drumnj

I go almost ever year to a hawks wings game a the UC and you don't get into trouble unless you're looking for it. Always a lot of wings fans onhand to back you up.