• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Osgood to start Sunday

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

Didn't go too well last time against the sharks with osgood in the net whereas he won against chicago earlier in the season, i would have prefered osgood for chicago and howard for dallas...

Red Wings talk coach into letting Chris Osgood go for No. 400 at home

By STEVE SCHRADER

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock doesn't seem all that sentimental when it comes to milestones -- winning games is the main thing -- but he is changing Chris Osgood's next start to Sunday against Dallas to give him a chance at getting his 400th victory at Joe Louis Arena.

Not that it was his idea, he said this afternoon on ESPN's “Jim Rome Is Burning.”

“I was going to go with him in Chicago (on Friday), but the players came to me, and they want him to get his first shot at it at home,” Babcock said. “So I'm going to go with Jimmy Howard tomorrow, and I'm going to go with Osgood on Sunday at home in front of the fans, in front of his family.

“We better play well and look after that. I think it's real important that we get that looked after so we can get on with just the business of winning.”

Babcock, who said he actually thought the milestone might have been easier on the road, admitted he might not have listened to the players when he was a younger coach, but he has mellowed since coming to Detroit.

“I also think it's important to treat people right,” Babcock said. “And I've learned over the years -- especially with this group, we've got a mature group -- when your captain talks to you, I think you should listen.”

Read more: Red Wings talk coach into letting Chris Osgood go for No. 400 at home | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20101216/SPORTS05/101216079/Red-Wings-talk-coach-into-letting-Chris-Osgood-go-for-No.-400-at-home#ixzz18KsWR7yC

Edited by gcom007

Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock doesn't seem all that sentimental when it comes to milestones -- winning games is the main thing -- but he is changing Chris Osgood's next start to Sunday against Dallas to give him a chance at getting his 400th victory at Joe Louis Arena.

Not that it was his idea, he said this afternoon on ESPN's “Jim Rome Is Burning.”

“I was going to go with him in Chicago (on Friday), but the players came to me, and they want him to get his first shot at it at home,” Babcock said. “So I'm going to go with Jimmy Howard tomorrow, and I'm going to go with Osgood on Sunday at home in front of the fans, in front of his family.

“We better play well and look after that. I think it's real important that we get that looked after so we can get on with just the business of winning.”

Babcock, who said he actually thought the milestone might have been easier on the road, admitted he might not have listened to the players when he was a younger coach, but he has mellowed since coming to Detroit.

“I also think it's important to treat people right,” Babcock said. “And I've learned over the years -- especially with this group, we've got a mature group -- when your captain talks to you, I think you should listen.”

Read more: Red Wings talk coach into letting Chris Osgood go for No. 400 at home | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20101216/SPORTS05/101216079/Red-Wings-talk-coach-into-letting-Chris-Osgood-go-for-No.-400-at-home#ixzz18KsivEjN

I'm actually pretty encouraged by that report (not that I was discouraged before reading it, mind you). It seems like he's laid a bit of a challenge down to the guys when he said that they better "play well and look after that".

I hope the boys get the message.

Say what you like about his goaltending, but there is no question that Ozzie is one of the most popular wings in the locker room.

Now, like Babs says, they better play well and get it done :siren:

Guest Stolberg

Didn't go too well last time against the sharks with osgood in the net whereas he won against chicago earlier in the season, i would have prefered osgood for chicago and howard for dallas...

his last game against the sharks was a 2-1 win

I'm actually more surprised that Babs was initially going to have Ozzie play against Chicago.

Maybe he wanted Ozzy to get #400 against the Blackhawks on their home ice to poop in their Cheerios. :)

Or maybe he was gonna play Ozzy tonight because he knew it was gonna be an easy win and he just wanted to get it over with... :ph34r:

Edited by Broken 16

Or maybe he was gonna play Ozzy tonight because he knew it was gonna be an easy win and he just wanted to get it over with... :ph34r:

Snap.

Although if you just jinxed tonight's game then we should make you run damage control for all the Hawks trolls that will come on this board as a result.