31 replies to this topic

#1 South Dakota wings fan

South Dakota wings fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:32 AM

http://www.mlive.com...will_stage.html

After recently reading this article about the Wings wanting to host the Winter Classic, I have been trying to figure out this question.

Who could/should they play?

I feel like the only division rival they could play is Chicago, but that's been done before. I think the NHL would like the game to always include two teams from the U.S. So, while I think Toronto or Montreal would draw interest, I'm not sure the league would allow it. I doubt they would bring in a team from a warm climate. Minnesota makes a little sense, but they want to host their own, and aren't much of a national tv draw. The Rangers? Wouldn't they rather host their own game?

I love the Winter Classic, but the originality could wear off in a hurry if they keep recycling the same teams every year because 2/3 of the league can't draw an audience on tv.

Side note, I would love to see 24/7 with the Wings and how Babcock handles things.

Edited by South Dakota wings fan, 17 December 2010 - 02:19 PM.

#2 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

I would LOVE this. Then again, I guess that's a really obvious statement for any of us.

Rangers would be nice as they're the only US O6 team left, but for rivalries sake I suppose we say Ducks, Sharks, Avs, or maybe the Blues, Wild, or Devils?

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#3 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

TO, MO, Rangers, Nashville, Canucks
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#4 hokeychik22

hokeychik22

leapin' lou fontinato

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

i would love to see detroit and toronto at copark for the winter classic. i would definately try and get tickets.

#5 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:13 PM

detroit vs. pittsburgh :ph34r:

#6 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:35 PM

If the NHL would suck it up and stop shunning Canadian teams, I would think a Red Wings - Maple Leafs @ Comerica Park WC would be spectacular. I would spend a lot of money for a ticket to see that.

#7 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:35 PM

i would love to see detroit and toronto at copark for the winter classic. i would definately try and get tickets.

This, or get the Avs to come out, or get the Ducks.

The Ducks would make for a good rivalry game, since they always play us pretty tough.

The Leafs aren't very far removed from being one of our rivals, though, from back in the Norris Division (81-92).

I don't think a lot of people would mind seeing a Wings/Hawks round 2, though, myself included. I'd of course have to go, to balance it out, seeing as I went to the last Winter Classic. :unsure:

#8 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

id like to see Chicago again

after that maybe NSH but again, little following there.

Edited by Din758, 17 December 2010 - 12:39 PM.

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#9 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

I think out if you didn't mind playing East vs West and you had to stay inside the US then you have to play the Rangers.

I think If you have to stay inside the western conference I think the Idea of Colorado has to be entertained just because of the past. I think if Modano returns Detroit vs Dallas might not be bad cause of the headlines

Crash

#10 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:40 PM

Wings have wanted this for several years, I think they would definately prefer Toronto, but NBC wouldn't countenance it. Whether they would want Wings-Bluejackets and market it as Ohio-Michigan.....
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#11 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

can you imagine if they would have had the last event at tiger stadium be a winter classic in like 2000! would've been a great goodbye to the corner of michigan and trumble.

#12 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

can you imagine if they would have had the last event at tiger stadium be a winter classic in like 2000! would've been a great goodbye to the corner of michigan and trumble.

They could still do it, plenty of open space for an ice rink there right now. They could call it "Rumble in the Rubble" lol

#13 h2obury

h2obury

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:29 PM

I would love to see either Colorado or a team like the Blues or maybe even the Kings might be a good draw as a young up and coming team. Also I think it would be awesome if they held it at the Big House.
"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~Gordie Howe

#14 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

Wings vs Canadiens would be awesome! The two most successful franchises for their respective countries.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#15 South Dakota wings fan

South Dakota wings fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:53 PM

If I had to bet money, I bet they would go for the Avalanch to play up the 90's rivalry and bring in the left coast of the country for viewing. Glad to have gotten the discussion going.

#16 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,243 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:57 PM

While I LOVE the idea, I'm going to say the Wings shouldn't be in it again until other teams have had the chance. This BS of Winter Classic/Heritage Classic pisses me off. Montreal/Toronto and CO. are all in the NHL, are they not? The Winter Classic should include these teams.
If the Wings are going to be in it again before it's their turn (like someone else who shall go unnamed), then I'd kill for it to be Toronto or Montreal. My head tells me they'll do a West Coast team to try and generate interest over there, probably San Jose.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#17 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:03 PM

The Winter Classic should include these teams.

why

#18 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

we already played. I think there are some other teams deserving. Pens, for example!
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#19 CopenhagenWing

CopenhagenWing

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:43 PM

While I LOVE the idea, I'm going to say the Wings shouldn't be in it again until other teams have had the chance. This BS of Winter Classic/Heritage Classic pisses me off. Montreal/Toronto and CO. are all in the NHL, are they not? The Winter Classic should include these teams.
If the Wings are going to be in it again before it's their turn (like someone else who shall go unnamed), then I'd kill for it to be Toronto or Montreal. My head tells me they'll do a West Coast team to try and generate interest over there, probably San Jose.

Agreed. The Winter Classic is going to turn into a joke if the NHL is not careful about the team selection. It is to early for the Wings to be in it again while the Rangers haven't played in one yet.

#20 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:46 PM

I totally agree on this. As much as I love the thought, there are other venues and other teams who deserve a first time shot at it before we get a second. I still like the idea of Minnesota and Dallas in MInnesota, or Colorado and whomever in Denver. You could do the New York/New Jersey bit, or get over the idea of Canadian teams and do Toronto and someone, but give the other teams a fair chance before you put us in a second one.

When and if we do another one, though, make it part of a full day/weekend of games at the Big House. I'd be all over that like fleas on a dog.
Posted Image