• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

South Dakota wings fan

Possible Winter Classic @ Comerica Park

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/12/red_wings_hope_nhl_will_stage.html

After recently reading this article about the Wings wanting to host the Winter Classic, I have been trying to figure out this question.

Who could/should they play?

I feel like the only division rival they could play is Chicago, but that's been done before. I think the NHL would like the game to always include two teams from the U.S. So, while I think Toronto or Montreal would draw interest, I'm not sure the league would allow it. I doubt they would bring in a team from a warm climate. Minnesota makes a little sense, but they want to host their own, and aren't much of a national tv draw. The Rangers? Wouldn't they rather host their own game?

I love the Winter Classic, but the originality could wear off in a hurry if they keep recycling the same teams every year because 2/3 of the league can't draw an audience on tv.

Side note, I would love to see 24/7 with the Wings and how Babcock handles things.

Edited by South Dakota wings fan

I would LOVE this. Then again, I guess that's a really obvious statement for any of us.

Rangers would be nice as they're the only US O6 team left, but for rivalries sake I suppose we say Ducks, Sharks, Avs, or maybe the Blues, Wild, or Devils?

i would love to see detroit and toronto at copark for the winter classic. i would definately try and get tickets.

This, or get the Avs to come out, or get the Ducks.

The Ducks would make for a good rivalry game, since they always play us pretty tough.

The Leafs aren't very far removed from being one of our rivals, though, from back in the Norris Division (81-92).

I don't think a lot of people would mind seeing a Wings/Hawks round 2, though, myself included. I'd of course have to go, to balance it out, seeing as I went to the last Winter Classic. :unsure:

I think out if you didn't mind playing East vs West and you had to stay inside the US then you have to play the Rangers.

I think If you have to stay inside the western conference I think the Idea of Colorado has to be entertained just because of the past. I think if Modano returns Detroit vs Dallas might not be bad cause of the headlines

Crash

Wings have wanted this for several years, I think they would definately prefer Toronto, but NBC wouldn't countenance it. Whether they would want Wings-Bluejackets and market it as Ohio-Michigan.....

can you imagine if they would have had the last event at tiger stadium be a winter classic in like 2000! would've been a great goodbye to the corner of michigan and trumble.

They could still do it, plenty of open space for an ice rink there right now. They could call it "Rumble in the Rubble" lol

I would love to see either Colorado or a team like the Blues or maybe even the Kings might be a good draw as a young up and coming team. Also I think it would be awesome if they held it at the Big House.

While I LOVE the idea, I'm going to say the Wings shouldn't be in it again until other teams have had the chance. This BS of Winter Classic/Heritage Classic pisses me off. Montreal/Toronto and CO. are all in the NHL, are they not? The Winter Classic should include these teams.

If the Wings are going to be in it again before it's their turn (like someone else who shall go unnamed), then I'd kill for it to be Toronto or Montreal. My head tells me they'll do a West Coast team to try and generate interest over there, probably San Jose.

While I LOVE the idea, I'm going to say the Wings shouldn't be in it again until other teams have had the chance. This BS of Winter Classic/Heritage Classic pisses me off. Montreal/Toronto and CO. are all in the NHL, are they not? The Winter Classic should include these teams.

If the Wings are going to be in it again before it's their turn (like someone else who shall go unnamed), then I'd kill for it to be Toronto or Montreal. My head tells me they'll do a West Coast team to try and generate interest over there, probably San Jose.

Agreed. The Winter Classic is going to turn into a joke if the NHL is not careful about the team selection. It is to early for the Wings to be in it again while the Rangers haven't played in one yet.

I totally agree on this. As much as I love the thought, there are other venues and other teams who deserve a first time shot at it before we get a second. I still like the idea of Minnesota and Dallas in MInnesota, or Colorado and whomever in Denver. You could do the New York/New Jersey bit, or get over the idea of Canadian teams and do Toronto and someone, but give the other teams a fair chance before you put us in a second one.

When and if we do another one, though, make it part of a full day/weekend of games at the Big House. I'd be all over that like fleas on a dog.

This would be fantastic. There needs to be A LOT more bars down here but that is the same thing I have been saying since Comerica and Ford Field were built over here. Wrigley was perfect with all there was. Either way it will be great for the area as most big time events down here are. I am all for it and hope to see it happen. Michigan Stadium would be a great idea as well. Big Chill was a huge success (aside from the small seats boo hoo) and I think that could even go better as Ann Arbor is a damn nice town and has tons to do. thumbup.gif Here's hoping