• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

swallow the whistle night

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

I was at the game amd didn't think it was too bad. Heck, Howie got away with a couple of blatant spears at one point. My favorite had to be when the Blackhawk took the stick to the face. They showed a replay and it looked like a Hawk whacked him but the fans started booing. I could be wrong about who hit him, if I'm not it was pretty funny.

The high stick on Pisani? That was a Blackhawk player's stick who hit him in the face. FSN showed the replay in slow-mo. Good non-call.

didn't get to watch the game, so i can't comment on how "fair" it was because i didn't see any of the plays.

still, just wanted to comment to say that i can't remember the last Wings game (or any NHL game) that had 2 PIMs. pretty crazy.

Officiating didn't lose this game for the Wings, Howard playing like a block of swiss cheese did. This loss is all on him. His softies have deflated this team. Time for Babcock to bench him. 21 goals in 6 games is unacceptable.

Howard has been aweful.

Yep. There is nos way you can fault Detroit's streaky offense and highly paid slacker in Franzen.

Edited by Zonly1

Other than the missed penalty shot call that should have been on Howard, I liked that they let them play. And we got away with Seabrook throwing his stick a couple games ago, so that jus evened it out.

No ref would ever have called a penalty shot on Howard unless Jimmy had mistakenly given him a facewash instead of Crosby.

A Blackhawk (Sharp?) was skating through the crease and in real-time it looked like his skate caught on the stick.

It's exceptionally easy for Ed Olczyk to sit there in the booth looking at a few screens and watching the slow-mo replay to say "that should be a penalty!" after the fact, but during the game?

Yeah, no ref is going to take the chance and make the potentially awful call of the year.

Just saying, because I know you haven't been watching hockey that long. :ph34r:

No ref would ever have called a penalty shot on Howard unless Jimmy had mistakenly given him a facewash instead of Crosby.

A Blackhawk (Sharp?) was skating through the crease and in real-time it looked like his skate caught on the stick.

It's exceptionally easy for Ed Olczyk to sit there in the booth looking at a few screens and watching the slow-mo replay to say "that should be a penalty!" after the fact, but during the game?

Yeah, no ref is going to take the chance and make the potentially awful call of the year.

You are correct, I just said it was a missed call. Im not cmplaining about it, just pointed it out is all.

lol

THANK GOD ken said something or nobody would have noticed

Ken didn't have to say s***

Please, once Ken or Mickey mentions how something didn't go the Wings way usually the forums go "YEAH! That was BS!!" its like clock work.

Edited by dragonballgtz

You are correct, I just said it was a missed call. Im not cmplaining about it, just pointed it out is all.

The only thing I really had a problem with (and not much of one) was the Ericsson penalty. It was exceptionally weak compared to everything that was let go (Helm getting mauled from behind, Zetterberg sitting on someone behind the net, etc), and it led directly to the first Chicago goal.

It's not huge, and the Wings should have played better instead of looking like crap, but I'd rather refs swallow their whistles for the whole game and not call ticky-tacky crap, or call it at least 50% of the time.

Please, once Ken or Mickey mentions how something didn't go the Wings way usually the forums go "YEAH! That was BS!!" its like clock work.

I'm guessing a lot of people had the CSN feed tonight via the NHL Network (as I did), so they wouldn't have even heard it.

Edited by Theophany

The only thing I really had a problem with (and not much of one) was the Ericsson penalty. It was exceptionally weak compared to everything that was let go (Helm getting mauled from behind, Zetterberg sitting on someone behind the net, etc), and it led directly to the first Chicago goal.

It's not huge, and the Wings should have played better instead of looking like crap, but I'd rather refs swallow their whistles for the whole game and not call ticky-tacky crap, or call it at least 50% of the time.

I'm guessing a lot of people had the CSN feed tonight via the NHL Network (as I did), so they wouldn't have even heard it.

Flames Fans Blame Refs Sounds like LGW during the playoffs. They bitched because of too many penalties we ***** because we didn't get calls our way.

During the 3rd period I thought Detroit was going to get a diving call because players started to go down to easily. The seemed to care more about trying to get a call in the corner rather than crash the net and score a goal.

1) I did think the officiating was crappy. I don't necessarily think it was biased, even if we didn't get a PP all night; it just wasn't good. I don't think it was as horrendous as the Sharks go-round, but I saw enough on both sides to make me wonder where all the calls were.

2) Howard did not lose this for us. Our 1 measly goal did. Sure, it's reasonable to think he could've kept it down to 2-1, but whether it was 2-1 or 8-1, unless you expected him to stand on his head and post a SO, this just wasn't going to happen for us. We needed more goals. He definitely didn't help matters at all, but he wasn't what ultimately sealed our fate.

3) I don't think Franzen is slacking. At least, I'm not convinced yet. Give me a week or two, and then ask me again. I honestly think he's got the flu or something...he looks like he's in a daze or something while he's on the ice. Everybody else just looked like they had a regular shade of dysfunction, but Franzen seemed a step behind them even. It might just be the world's biggest slack off, but he really looked less than fully alert during the last few games to me.

The high stick on Pisani? That was a Blackhawk player's stick who hit him in the face. FSN showed the replay in slow-mo. Good non-call.

That's what I thought, though it can be hard to tell when you're at the game. I though it was hilarious they booed even louder at the lack of a call when they showed the replay :)

A lot of you in this thread are f'ing idiots... LEARN TO READ - The ENTIRE context of this thread was that it was a poor showing by the officials, I in NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM said it is what cost the Wings the game, and as a matter of fact I made it QUITE clear that it was evenly called and they did not favor either side, that does not make it GOOD, or even OK... and to all of you that want to go back to 1993 clutch and grab, go eat a d*ck... watch the 2008 and 2009 playoffs and HONESTLY try and say that the mid 90's was better hockey - you idiots are what damn near killed our game and caused ratings and attendance to bottom out and the LAST thing the league needs is to return to it...

Last night was a flat out joke BOTH ways. Period.

Edited by stevkrause

1) I did think the officiating was crappy. I don't necessarily think it was biased, even if we didn't get a PP all night; it just wasn't good. I don't think it was as horrendous as the Sharks go-round, but I saw enough on both sides to make me wonder where all the calls were.

2) Howard did not lose this for us. Our 1 measly goal did. Sure, it's reasonable to think he could've kept it down to 2-1, but whether it was 2-1 or 8-1, unless you expected him to stand on his head and post a SO, this just wasn't going to happen for us. We needed more goals. He definitely didn't help matters at all, but he wasn't what ultimately sealed our fate.

3) I don't think Franzen is slacking. At least, I'm not convinced yet. Give me a week or two, and then ask me again. I honestly think he's got the flu or something...he looks like he's in a daze or something while he's on the ice. Everybody else just looked like they had a regular shade of dysfunction, but Franzen seemed a step behind them even. It might just be the world's biggest slack off, but he really looked less than fully alert during the last few games to me.

At least there are some people in this thread with some common sense...

Guest scottj

I'm sure there's some people on this forum that don't need to be a reassured by Uncles Ken and Mickey

A lot of you in this thread are f'ing idiots... LEARN TO READ - The ENTIRE context of this thread was that it was a poor showing by the officials, I in NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM said it is what cost the Wings the game, and as a matter of fact I made it QUITE clear that it was evenly called and they did not favor either side, that does not make it GOOD, or even OK... and to all of you that want to go back to 1993 clutch and grab, go eat a d*ck... watch the 2008 and 2009 playoffs and HONESTLY try and say that the mid 90's was better hockey - you idiots are what damn near killed our game and caused ratings and attendance to bottom out and the LAST thing the league needs is to return to it...

Last night was a flat out joke BOTH ways. Period.

And if you think last night was anything like the mid/late 90s you need to go back and watch some games from that era.

No one wants a return of the neutral zone trap/left wing lock, but the game is better without calling a hook every time a stick blade brushes a jersey sleeve.

Yeah, the officials let a lot go last night. 90% of it had no effect on the play. There have been SO many games in the last few years that were called much worse. I would much rather see a game like last night than see 8 meaningless plays whistled while 8 other identical plays are let go in the same game.

And if you think last night was anything like the mid/late 90s you need to go back and watch some games from that era.

No one wants a return of the neutral zone trap/left wing lock, but the game is better without calling a hook every time a stick blade brushes a jersey sleeve.

Yeah, the officials let a lot go last night. 90% of it had no effect on the play. There have been SO many games in the last few years that were called much worse. I would much rather see a game like last night than see 8 meaningless plays whistled while 8 other identical plays are let go in the same game.

You're flat wrong - I'd say at least 50% of the missed calls greatly affected the game...

Salei broke up a great scoring chance with a blatant interference on Sharp, Boynton flat out hog tied Zetterberg down low when he beat him to the outside driving the net, Franzen got away with a blatant interference against the D (can't remember which player) when Chicago could have kept the puck in the zone and they were pressing hard and Seabrook flat out tripped Fil when he beat him cutting to the net... those are obvious penalties preventing SCORING opportunities... I didn't say it was EXACTLY the same as the 90's, but it's a slippery slope when they start letting THAT s*** go... consistency doesn't just apply from period to period, it applies to game from game and season from season - They need consistency

Edited by stevkrause

You're flat wrong - I'd say at least 50% of the missed calls greatly affected the game...

Salei broke up a great scoring chance with a blatant interference on Sharp, Boynton flat out hog tied Zetterberg down low when he beat him to the outside driving the net, Franzen got away with a blatant interference against the D (can't remember which player) when Chicago could have kept the puck in the zone and they were pressing hard and Seabrook flat out tripped Fil when he beat him cutting to the net... those are obvious penalties preventing SCORING opportunities... I didn't say it was EXACTLY the same as the 90's, but it's a slippery slope when they start letting THAT s*** go... consistency doesn't just apply from period to period, it applies to game from game and season from season - They need consistency

I disagree. I saw maybe a few penalties that might have taken away scoring chances, and probably 20 or so that could have been called that meant nothing. I guess it depends on what you consider a 'missed call'.

And it's an equally slippery slope when you start calling everything. There are tons of minor hooks and holds that at the right time can take away a scoring chance, but if you call those and want to be consistent, you have to call all those same plays even when they don't impact the play. Same for interference.

The problem with that is if you actually call everything, then you get half of every game played 3 on 3. They literally can't call it all, so in that respect those tighter rules actually contribute to the inconsistency everyone complains about.

Last night certainly wasn't the best officiating, but it wasn't even close to the worst either. I wouldn't even consider it bad by today's (albeit terribly low) standards. I thought it was a good example of letting the ticky-tack BS go without the game looking like one of Jacques Lemaire's wet dreams.

I made it QUITE clear that it was evenly called

I don't think you can quite say it was evenly called with them calling Detroit for 2 penalties and not calling Chicago for any. Not to mention that Chicago scored on both of their opportunities with a man up.

I don't think you can quite say it was evenly called with them calling Detroit for 2 penalties and not calling Chicago for any. Not to mention that Chicago scored on both of their opportunities with a man up.

One Detroit penalty, FYI. :unsure:

One Detroit penalty, FYI. :unsure:

?

Not sure which game you watched, but there were indeed 2 Detroit penalties called. Chicago capitalized on them both. The second one was a delayed call, in which Chicago had 6 skaters out on the ice.

Edit: looks like edicius beat me to it. (maybe I should have scrolled all the way down before responding, lol)

Edited by sleepwalker

Seems like Howard has been playing with no jump in his step and just flat out slow, if you watch him he just is so slow compared to last year. Almost as if he knows he has the guaranteed starting spot, maybe a little bit cocky. Also some bad D last night wasn't helping much