• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:18 PM

A lot of you in this thread are f'ing idiots... LEARN TO READ - The ENTIRE context of this thread was that it was a poor showing by the officials, I in NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM said it is what cost the Wings the game, and as a matter of fact I made it QUITE clear that it was evenly called and they did not favor either side, that does not make it GOOD, or even OK... and to all of you that want to go back to 1993 clutch and grab, go eat a d*ck... watch the 2008 and 2009 playoffs and HONESTLY try and say that the mid 90's was better hockey - you idiots are what damn near killed our game and caused ratings and attendance to bottom out and the LAST thing the league needs is to return to it...

Last night was a flat out joke BOTH ways. Period.

And if you think last night was anything like the mid/late 90s you need to go back and watch some games from that era.

No one wants a return of the neutral zone trap/left wing lock, but the game is better without calling a hook every time a stick blade brushes a jersey sleeve.

Yeah, the officials let a lot go last night. 90% of it had no effect on the play. There have been SO many games in the last few years that were called much worse. I would much rather see a game like last night than see 8 meaningless plays whistled while 8 other identical plays are let go in the same game.

#42 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:37 PM

And if you think last night was anything like the mid/late 90s you need to go back and watch some games from that era.

No one wants a return of the neutral zone trap/left wing lock, but the game is better without calling a hook every time a stick blade brushes a jersey sleeve.

Yeah, the officials let a lot go last night. 90% of it had no effect on the play. There have been SO many games in the last few years that were called much worse. I would much rather see a game like last night than see 8 meaningless plays whistled while 8 other identical plays are let go in the same game.

You're flat wrong - I'd say at least 50% of the missed calls greatly affected the game...

Salei broke up a great scoring chance with a blatant interference on Sharp, Boynton flat out hog tied Zetterberg down low when he beat him to the outside driving the net, Franzen got away with a blatant interference against the D (can't remember which player) when Chicago could have kept the puck in the zone and they were pressing hard and Seabrook flat out tripped Fil when he beat him cutting to the net... those are obvious penalties preventing SCORING opportunities... I didn't say it was EXACTLY the same as the 90's, but it's a slippery slope when they start letting THAT s*** go... consistency doesn't just apply from period to period, it applies to game from game and season from season - They need consistency

Edited by stevkrause, 18 December 2010 - 02:38 PM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#43 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

you're flat out boring

#44 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:29 PM

You're flat wrong - I'd say at least 50% of the missed calls greatly affected the game...

Salei broke up a great scoring chance with a blatant interference on Sharp, Boynton flat out hog tied Zetterberg down low when he beat him to the outside driving the net, Franzen got away with a blatant interference against the D (can't remember which player) when Chicago could have kept the puck in the zone and they were pressing hard and Seabrook flat out tripped Fil when he beat him cutting to the net... those are obvious penalties preventing SCORING opportunities... I didn't say it was EXACTLY the same as the 90's, but it's a slippery slope when they start letting THAT s*** go... consistency doesn't just apply from period to period, it applies to game from game and season from season - They need consistency

I disagree. I saw maybe a few penalties that might have taken away scoring chances, and probably 20 or so that could have been called that meant nothing. I guess it depends on what you consider a 'missed call'.

And it's an equally slippery slope when you start calling everything. There are tons of minor hooks and holds that at the right time can take away a scoring chance, but if you call those and want to be consistent, you have to call all those same plays even when they don't impact the play. Same for interference.

The problem with that is if you actually call everything, then you get half of every game played 3 on 3. They literally can't call it all, so in that respect those tighter rules actually contribute to the inconsistency everyone complains about.

Last night certainly wasn't the best officiating, but it wasn't even close to the worst either. I wouldn't even consider it bad by today's (albeit terribly low) standards. I thought it was a good example of letting the ticky-tack BS go without the game looking like one of Jacques Lemaire's wet dreams.

#45 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

I made it QUITE clear that it was evenly called

I don't think you can quite say it was evenly called with them calling Detroit for 2 penalties and not calling Chicago for any. Not to mention that Chicago scored on both of their opportunities with a man up.

#46 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

I don't think you can quite say it was evenly called with them calling Detroit for 2 penalties and not calling Chicago for any. Not to mention that Chicago scored on both of their opportunities with a man up.

One Detroit penalty, FYI. :unsure:

#47 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

Delayed penalty call. Chicago had six skaters on the ice. Was essentially a power play for them.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#48 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:41 PM

?

Not sure which game you watched, but there were indeed 2 Detroit penalties called. Chicago capitalized on them both. The second one was a delayed call, in which Chicago had 6 skaters out on the ice.

Edit: looks like edicius beat me to it. (maybe I should have scrolled all the way down before responding, lol)

Edited by sleepwalker, 18 December 2010 - 10:45 PM.

#49 detroit_hockey99

detroit_hockey99

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

Seems like Howard has been playing with no jump in his step and just flat out slow, if you watch him he just is so slow compared to last year. Almost as if he knows he has the guaranteed starting spot, maybe a little bit cocky. Also some bad D last night wasn't helping much