• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SouthernWingsFan

Chicago fans last night

Rate this topic

A couple things on the actual topic here.

First, Hawks fans do have a creepy obsession with the Wings. Sorry, but changing "Red Wings suck" after you've won the Cup, in spite of not even facing them in the playoffs, is just weird. Same goes for chanting it at games against other opponents.

That being said, I don't know that Detroit fans would behave differently if the Chelios situation were reversed. Cheli grew up in Chicago. Traded or not, he went to the Hawk's biggest rival (due to history and proximity). He came to detroit just after the Wings's second consecutive Cup win, in part because he felt (correctly) the Hawks were not doing the things necessary to improve the team.

Imagine if Mike Modano played for the Wings for 9 years then played for the Hawks right after they won two Cups and won another Cup with them. There's a fair number of Wings fans who still boo Fedorov. If something like that happened, they sure as hell would boo during an awards ceremony.

I guess that's a long way of saying in this instance I'm not surprised, especially given the Hawks fans already creepy fixation on the Wings. It's just too soon to expect the fans to let bygones be bygones and honor what Cheli did for that team.

And let's take a look at the teams below the Blackhawks right now and where they'd stand against if they win their games in hand.

Here's our baseline:

Chicago: 34 games played, 37 points

Los Angeles: 29 GP, 35 points

Potential points:45 (8 ahead of Chicago)

Phoenix: 30 GP, 35 points

Potential points: 43 (6 ahead of Chicago)

St. Louis: 30 GP, 35 points

Potential points: 43 (6 ahead of Chicago)

Columbus: 31 GP, 35 points

Potential points: 41 (4 ahead of Chicago)

Calgary: 32 GP, 31 points

Potential Points: 35, (2 back of Chicago)

Minnesota: 30 GP, 30 points

Potential Points: 38, (1 ahead of Chicago)

Edmonton: 31 GP, 29 points

Potential points: 35 (2 back of Chicago)

So, of the seven teams that Chicago is ahead of points-wise at the moment, all but two could surpass them with games in hand, which is good enough for 13th place - and even the other two teams (hapless Calgary and Edmonton - teams that have both beaten Chicago) would only be 1 and 2 points back, respectively.

That was a good read :)

Did Bobby hull really walk out?

Can't remember the crowd at the Joe booed anything cept bad calls. Knew the fans were gonna piss me off the second I turned on the game. Dumb

Not at a "we're honoring him for X accomplishment night," but Fedorov and Hossa routinely get/got booed.

I just want to point out that Probert was also basically a hometown boy since he was from Windsor. Same situation as Chelios, was traded when he didn't wanna be and whenever he came back to Detroit he got standing ovations watch this and youll see the only person who get s abigger ovation then Probie is Vladdy..

So dont say Detroit would do the same because they wouldn't, in fact they do the exact opposite. Booing Fedorov is different because he basically spit in the face of the Illitch's and bad mouthed more then he should've. Chelios never did anything to Chicago on the level of fedorov.

I just want to point out that Probert was also basically a hometown boy since he was from Windsor. Same situation as Chelios, was traded when he didn't wanna be and whenever he came back to Detroit he got standing ovations watch this and youll see the only person who get s abigger ovation then Probie is Vladdy..

So dont say Detroit would do the same because they wouldn't, in fact they do the exact opposite. Booing Fedorov is different because he basically spit in the face of the Illitch's and bad mouthed more then he should've. Chelios never did anything to Chicago on the level of fedorov.

And Hossa?

Probie was nowhere near the same situation as Chelios. Probert had a long history of off ice problems with Detroit and needed a fresh start. He was signed as a free agent by the Hawks after Detroit was done with him. And as beloved as he was, wasn't the star player here in Detroit. By the time he went to the Hawks, he was on his way down. Then another big difference being the Cup wins and the two trajectories of the teams. The Wings at the top and the Hawks headed downward.

What did Fedorov say that badmouthed Detroit? I've always heard him say good things about his time with the Wings.

If you asked Chicago fans, I'm pretty sure they'd say Chelios spit in the face of the Blackhawks.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Whose idea was it to "honor" Cheli anyway? And why didn't they have Toews do some sort of commercial explaining to the fans that Cheli was a Blackhawk who was a good player and they should cheer when they honor him. Maybe he could even demonstrate how to clap.

Guest scottj

In actuality, what Chelios was above and beyond the level of Fedorov in terms of betrayal and classlessness. To everyone disputing my point about Chelios negotiating the trade to Detroit, this is a fact, you can't argue with facts. If he did not want it to happen he wouldn't have asked for it to happen. Take a look at the Hawks 75th anniversary picture posted earlier in this thread... or the time he brought the Stanley Cup to Wrigley if you still do not grasp what a classless individual he is. He deserves every unkind thing done to him by Hawk fans as does that worthless old sack of manure who produced him for wearing that vomit inducing jersey to last night's game.

Dagnabit! you blasted kids got me! just wanted to see if you'd catch that, congratulations, most Wing fans would not be that sharp :)

HAHAHAHA that's it... it was a test guys!

a test!

no.

Yeah Chelios is such a DICK for bringing the cup back to his hometown... he obviously should have just stayed out of state

******* tard

Alright Gnida is a maroon.

Hawks fans are not classless/disrespectful or whatever for booing him. There were half cheers and half boos any way. He knew he was going to get booed; he told his wife. And despite what you people think, he did in fact negotiate a trade to the red wings. After declaring his "hatred" for the wings. He's from Chicago. Hawks fans had every right to boo him. Just because a google search doesn't find any results for "chelios negotiated trade to detroit" doesn't mean it didn't happen. It did. He, in fact, asked someone else in the organization to talk to Wirtz. That person refused and Chelios had to ask on his own. Chelios then had his agent come up with the deal to detroit. He said he hated detroit and is from Chicago(Evergreen Park actually, its just outside the far southwest side)then subsequently went there when he realized the team was going to s***. Sorry, that is betrayal of the highest form and he got what he deserved and he knew it was coming.

The detroit sucks chants started before your cup run. Started as "Dino(ciccarelli) sucks" when he was on the north stars. When he went to detroit it became detroit sucks and it stuck. The chant doesn't imply the red wings suck. Any true hawks fan doesn't think that of the red wing teams of the last 15 years. It's more of a hate of the city of detroit than the red wings, at least that's the way it seems to me. Most of the bandwagoners just chant it because they think its "what we do". When they really have no idea what it means.

And LOL at the cheering of the national anthem being disrespectful. Far from it. Would you rather have people bs'ing and texting while its being sung or pure support? Many members of the Armed Forces are moved by it. Including a soldier who just received the CMoH. General Schwarzkopf actually showed video of the anthem at the Old Stadium to rally the troops.

Not surprised by some of the experiences some of you had at the UC. It sucks, I know. I go to way less games now because of it. Once at game at the dawn of the "Kane and Toews" era, a "guy" who clearly didn't know a hockey puck from a hostess cup cake wearing a turtle neck and sporting a glass of wine asked me in a pretentious voice, "please sit down, I can't see"... it was during a fight...FML. I couldn't believe it.

This is ******* hilarious. You folks are claiming what Wings fans did to Federov was ok but what Hawk fans did to Chelios was wrong?

Bygones my ass. See the photo earlier in the thread. That is a once in a lifetime moment caught in time. Chelios chose to disrespect the franchise and it's fans. At that point it's over.

A decade from now when you celebrate your centenial would it be cool if all the living great donned the Winged wheel and Yzerman demanded to wear a Lightning sweater for the photo? C'mon do not kid yourselves.

As for who boo'd it was by and large the old time fans who chose to boo as they feel the hatred. All the band wagoners pretty much clapped politely.

As as for 90% of Hawk fans being bandwagon fans I used to go to Detroit from Chicago with my father and uncle because there were no tix available in Chicago yet the olympia was empty.

So when Detroit sucked their place was empty and when Chicago sucked there place was empty.

And now for a history lesson.

For the record Chelios leaving can be blamed on both he and Chicago's (DEAD) owner. With a year left on his deal Chelios demanded to have an extension done. Chicago balked. GM Murray (another moron from the Wirtz era) said he hoped after the final year of the deal that he could resign Cheli for a fair amount ... (LESS) hoping to be able to reduce his role by then. Chelios balked and said if he was not resigned he wanted to be traded. Soon after that he is noted on Chicago sports radio as saying he hoped it could be worked out but if not he was open to a trade to any team EXCEPT the Red Wings, that he could never play for them.

So Murray works out a trade and Chelios and Agent are told so they could meet the new GM and see if the extension can be done. Chelios refuses to meet the team and instead wants his agent to run point ... soliciting offers from teams who would be willing to sign Chelios for the amount he wanted. A short time later Chelios's agent gives Murray the offer from the only team that agrees to pay him what he wanted. The rest is history.

Honestly I can live with that whole scenario (money makes the world go round) I cannot blame him for getting all he can. However as someone who has lived and (mostly) died with the Hawks since the mid 60's that picture shown here earlier) cannot be forgotten. That is a permanent scar and the ultimate display of disrespect to Chicago the team and it's fans.

it is why Chicagoans still cheer guys like Larmer, Wilson and even Belfour (who also forced a trade) none of them acted in a manner equal to Chelios.

have a good day.

Alright Gnida is a maroon.

Hawks fans are not classless/disrespectful or whatever for booing him. There were half cheers and half boos any way. He knew he was going to get booed; he told his wife. And despite what you people think, he did in fact negotiate a trade to the red wings. After declaring his "hatred" for the wings. He's from Chicago. Hawks fans had every right to boo him. Just because a google search doesn't find any results for "chelios negotiated trade to detroit" doesn't mean it didn't happen. It did. He, in fact, asked someone else in the organization to talk to Wirtz. That person refused and Chelios had to ask on his own. Chelios then had his agent come up with the deal to detroit. He said he hated detroit and is from Chicago(Evergreen Park actually, its just outside the far southwest side)then subsequently went there when he realized the team was going to s***. Sorry, that is betrayal of the highest form and he got what he deserved and he knew it was coming.

First of all, no matter what the circumstances of his departure were, it's still classless to jeer a former player on a night you're supposed to be honoring them. It's a sports rivalry, not a ******* holy war. (And at the time of the trade, and even now, it's barely a legit rivalry. Though I guess Chicago fans would have a different perspective.) Boo him as a player, fine. There's a time and place for it, but last night was not it. If you can't show some respect and appreciation, at least remain silent. If you can't even do that, you're an ass. End of story.

Secondly, unless you can actually produce some evidence no one is going to believe any nonsense about Chelios negotiating his own trade. I'm sure he wanted to go to a contender. At the time that meant Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey, or Dallas (and maybe St.Louis). I think I even remember Holland and Co. wanting to talk to him in person, to make sure he was willing to play here. But I've seen nothing to suggest he was guilty of anything more than changing his mind about never playing for Detroit. The unsubstantiated accusations sound even more petty and ridiculous than the jeering last night.

As for the picture, Chelios was a Wings player at the time the picture was taken, and the teams were actually playing later that night. Maybe it was a superstition thing.

And are Chicago fans really criticizing Chelios for taking the Cup to his hometown, like every other player does with their Cup day?

First of all, no matter what the circumstances of his departure were, it's still classless to jeer a former player on a night you're supposed to be honoring them. It's a sports rivalry, not a ******* holy war. (And at the time of the trade, and even now, it's barely a legit rivalry. Though I guess Chicago fans would have a different perspective.) Boo him as a player, fine. There's a time and place for it, but last night was not it. If you can't show some respect and appreciation, at least remain silent. If you can't even do that, you're an ass. End of story.

Secondly, unless you can actually produce some evidence no one is going to believe any nonsense about Chelios negotiating his own trade. I'm sure he wanted to go to a contender. At the time that meant Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey, or Dallas (and maybe St.Louis). I think I even remember Holland and Co. wanting to talk to him in person, to make sure he was willing to play here. But I've seen nothing to suggest he was guilty of anything more than changing his mind about never playing for Detroit. The unsubstantiated accusations sound even more petty and ridiculous than the jeering last night.

As for the picture, Chelios was a Wings player at the time the picture was taken, and the teams were actually playing later that night. Maybe it was a superstition thing.

And are Chicago fans really criticizing Chelios for taking the Cup to his hometown, like every other player does with their Cup day?

Well, I can't produce links. My sources are "people in the know". I don't blame you for not believing me. That's the way it happened, I'm sorry. My source actually likes Chelios and was likely one of the fans cheering him last night. Even if he is only guilty of changing his mind about detroit its still treasonous and he knows it. He told his wife he was expecting boos(THAT is verifiable). You have to question McDouche for having the heritage night with the wings in town, while Chelios is a member of the wings front office and a year after he retired. So dumb.

edit... and now I just read something on mlive that quotes Chelios as saying he didn't expect a negative reaction. Did he forget the fact that fans booed the announcement of his heritage night? Not sure how he couldn't expect boos. It was pretty obvious. If you people don't see how people feel like they should be then I don't know what to tell you. It's not a consensus either, so for Redmond to blanket all hawks fans as classless for half the stadium booing isn't really fair. But you can tell the guy hates the hawks fans already for the detroit sucks chants.

Edited by FIBS

Well, I can't produce links. My sources are "people in the know". I don't blame you for not believing me. That's the way it happened, I'm sorry. My source actually likes Chelios and was likely one of the fans cheering him last night. Even if he is only guilty of changing his mind about detroit its still treasonous and he knows it. He told his wife he was expecting boos(THAT is verifiable). You have to question McDouche for having the heritage night with the wings in town, while Chelios is a member of the wings front office and a year after he retired. So dumb.

I agree about it being a really questionable heritage night, especially at this point.

Him EXPECTING to be bood, is very VERY different than DESERVING to be bood. Of course he is expecting to be bood, he knows as well as anyone how classless and ignorant that fan base can be.

Of course he is expecting to be bood, he knows as well as anyone how classless and ignorant that fan base can be.

Errrr he knows what he did.

I'll say up front that I don't know the whole situation regarding Federov but you guys booed him and he was one of the greats...Just read an article quoting Federov as saying they were call him a "commie" I guess... he said something like: "don't they know the Cold War is over?" LOL

Errrr he knows what he did.

I'll say up front that I don't know the whole situation regarding Federov but you guys booed him and he was one of the greats...Just read an article quoting Federov as saying they were call him a "commie" I guess... he said something like: "don't they know the Cold War is over?" LOL

IMO, I don't see the point of booing Fedorov either. He gave us some great years, and was ALWAYS a bit of a dramaqueen, even before he left us. I still recall that whole thing about him not playing during the beginning of 97-98 for those contract reasons.

I guess I just don't understand booing someone simply for leaving your team. The only time I think it is warranted to boo a particular player is if the player being bood has done something prior ON THE ICE to your team. IE Claude Lemieux for Wings fans, etc.

I just don't see the point in booing a player for simply doing his job. He supposed to retire 10 years early cause his hometown didn't want him anymore?

This video is a classic -- and all true for 99% of Blackhawk "fans". If what's his name shows up again, I suggest we all just post this hilarious parody as an answer. The truth hurts!! :lol:

Edited by puckloo39

IMO, I don't see the point of booing Fedorov either. He gave us some great years, and was ALWAYS a bit of a dramaqueen, even before he left us. I still recall that whole thing about him not playing during the beginning of 97-98 for those contract reasons.

I guess I just don't understand booing someone simply for leaving your team. The only time I think it is warranted to boo a particular player is if the player being bood has done something prior ON THE ICE to your team. IE Claude Lemieux for Wings fans, etc.

I just don't see the point in booing a player for simply doing his job. He supposed to retire 10 years early cause his hometown didn't want him anymore?

He didn't "simply leave the team". I can go on and on about why they booed him. And I have but people don't get it. I just don't see how the fans are classless for booing and again it wasn't nearly 100%. There are still many people who respect what he did and those people cheered, I assume. Just not fair that Redmond painted all Hawks fans with the same brush, but I understand cause I know he loved Chelios and won 2 cups with the wings.

edit: really puckloo? 99%?

Edited by FIBS

He didn't "simply leave the team". I can go on and on about why they booed him. And I have but people don't get it. I just don't see how the fans are classless for booing and again it wasn't nearly 100%. There are still many people who respect what he did and those people cheered, I assume. Just not fair that Redmond painted all Hawks fans with the same brush, but I understand cause I know he loved Chelios and won 2 cups with the wings.

edit: really puckloo? 99%?

Unfortunately, whether true or not, you citing a source who is "in the know" is not exactly going to be enough to persuade a Wings forums that Hawks fans are universally classy for booing one of the greatest players of all time while he was wearing a Hawks jersey and talking about how much he loves Chicago.

I will say this though: Being at the game, I didn't think the booing was that bad, maybe it looked worse on TV. To me, there were more people cheering than booing, and anytime they'd start booing louder, the cheers got louder too.

FIBS, I think all of your points in this thread would have been taken much more openly if it wasn't for this other "fan" who is embarrassing himself pretty badly. Its the old 'guilty by association', unfortunately.

And that said, I agree with you about painting a fan base with the same brush, every team has their jerk fans, and the Wings are no different. Actually the Hawks fans behind me and my dad at the game were really very friendly, talked hockey with us, told us to "keep our chin up and brush off the insults", and were open and welcoming us as fans. Sadly, the people TWO rows back threatened to piss on us. Yes, PISS on us. Sigh.

Unfortunately, whether true or not, you citing a source who is "in the know" is not exactly going to be enough to persuade a Wings forums that Hawks fans are universally classy for booing one of the greatest players of all time while he was wearing a Hawks jersey and talking about how much he loves Chicago.

I will say this though: Being at the game, I didn't think the booing was that bad, maybe it looked worse on TV. To me, there were more people cheering than booing, and anytime they'd start booing louder, the cheers got louder too.

FIBS, I think all of your points in this thread would have been taken much more openly if it wasn't for this other "fan" who is embarrassing himself pretty badly. Its the old 'guilty by association', unfortunately.

And that said, I agree with you about painting a fan base with the same brush, every team has their jerk fans, and the Wings are no different. Actually the Hawks fans behind me and my dad at the game were really very friendly, talked hockey with us, told us to "keep our chin up and brush off the insults", and were open and welcoming us as fans. Sadly, the people TWO rows back threatened to piss on us. Yes, PISS on us. Sigh.

I didn't expect you to believe it, nor do I blame anyone for not believing it. It's good enough for me though. I'll just say this guy was at Kane's house when he had the Cup party... to give you an example. This guy loves Kane of course while I dislike him. And to think I used to defend Kane during his cabbie beating days...

Sucks about the guys who wanted to piss on you. I wish that wasn't true. Glad at least some people were cool.