• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SouthernWingsFan

Chicago fans last night

Rate this topic

Well, I can't produce links. My sources are "people in the know". I don't blame you for not believing me. That's the way it happened, I'm sorry. My source actually likes Chelios and was likely one of the fans cheering him last night. Even if he is only guilty of changing his mind about detroit its still treasonous and he knows it....

Errrr he knows what he did.

I'll say up front that I don't know the whole situation regarding Federov but you guys booed him and he was one of the greats...Just read an article quoting Federov as saying they were call him a "commie" I guess... he said something like: "don't they know the Cold War is over?" LOL

He didn't "simply leave the team". I can go on and on about why they booed him. And I have but people don't get it. I just don't see how the fans are classless for booing and again it wasn't nearly 100%. There are still many people who respect what he did and those people cheered, I assume. Just not fair that Redmond painted all Hawks fans with the same brush, but I understand cause I know he loved Chelios and won 2 cups with the wings.

He didn't 'do' anything other than 'simply leave the team'. There is nothing 'treasonous' about playing for a rival. There have been literally hundreds of players to do so in NHL history. But that's really beside the point. Like I said earlier, there is a time and place for it. During an honors ceremony commemorating past crontributions is not it.

Booing a former player when he's playing against you as a member of a rival team, like Fedorov, is fine. But if Fedorov were to be honored here, or we hold some celebration of the Cup wins he was a part of, I wouldn't expect him to get booed, and would think anyone doing so was disrespectful and classless. As Chelios said, let bygones be bygones.

You even said yourself that he shouldn't have been booed, so what exactly are you defending?

Do you really think anyone is suggesting that every single Hawks fan is classless? Mickey made a generalization about the Hawk fans in attendence. I think he even said something to the effect of 'not all of them' but it doesn't matter. It was a generalization, and many fans here are doing the same thing.

Have we as humans devolved into such PC ******* that we can't suffer hearing a generalization, even though everyone knows that generalizations are not, nor are even intended, to be taken as absolutes? We're criticizing Hawks fans as classless for booing Cheli. If you weren't booing him, it should go without saying that the criticism doesn't apply to you. Should we have provided a list of names of those we're referring to, so no precious innocent feelings are hurt? Grow a ******* shell.

Chicago fans should be embarassed by that display. It was classless. That doesn't mean every single fan is classless.

Chicago fans should be proud of the fantastic parade and celebration following their Cup win. That doesn't mean every single fan was a model of good sportsmanship and grace in victory. Did you run around the internet telling everyone praising the Hawk fans then not to make generalizations?

A couple opinions:

1. Most of the Hawks fans in the arena have been fans for about 1.5 years, so they probably didn't even know that Chelios played for them or who he even is in the first place.

2. I don't think we would do the same thing. If Sergei Fedorov was being honored, I doubt people would boo him, even though he left on his own choice (not traded like Chelios) and it really hurt.

You'd think Marian Hossa would feel somewhat of a letdown after playing for bandwagon central in Pittsburgh, then going to the class of the NHL in Detroit, then going back down the sewers again in terms of fan class.

How can anyone expect me or anyone else to be all polite and talk hockey when some of your posters post things like this? ^^

I would love to see how many of your "fans" would stick around if Detroit started losing and lost for years and years and years. Would all thse "loyal" fans still pack the arenas? My guess would be NO. Just because we didnt sell out every night, or have massive crowds during the "down" years doesnt mean that because we NOW do that they are all just bandwagon fans. IMO Detroit fans have no leg to stand on because most of them havent been fans long enough to comment on being a "true" fan. You havemade the playoffs, what, 20 straight seasons? Of course your fanbase has HUGE support, becaus they havent had to deal with all these losing seasons. Detroit has put a good product on the ice for TWO DECADES. Chicago finally has gotten their heads out of their asses ad put a good product on the Ice, so guess what, the fans are now showing up. This is not an excuse, its reality. People arent going to fork over their hard earned money to watch trash every night.

Just wait, Detroit WILL have down years, and we will see just how ******* loyal your fanbase is then.

How can anyone expect me or anyone else to be all polite and talk hockey when some of your posters post things like this? ^^

You're on a RED WINGS MESSAGE BOARD. We're going to talk s*** about other teams and other fans. If you can't handle RED WINGS FANS talking on a RED WINGS MESSAGE BOARD, maybe you need to find a new sandbox. We're not going to kowtow to the minority of posters here that don't root for the Wings. That's not how it works. If you want people to kiss your team's ass, go to a Hawks board.

It's like going to a NASCAR race and wondering why everyone's driving in a circle.

I would love to see how many of your "fans" would stick around if Detroit started losing and lost for years and years and years. Would all thse "loyal" fans still pack the arenas? My guess would be NO. Just because we didnt sell out every night, or have massive crowds during the "down" years doesnt mean that because we NOW do that they are all just bandwagon fans. IMO Detroit fans have no leg to stand on because most of them havent been fans long enough to comment on being a "true" fan. You havemade the playoffs, what, 20 straight seasons? Of course your fanbase has HUGE support, becaus they havent had to deal with all these losing seasons. Detroit has put a good product on the ice for TWO DECADES. Chicago finally has gotten their heads out of their asses ad put a good product on the Ice, so guess what, the fans are now showing up. This is not an excuse, its reality. People arent going to fork over their hard earned money to watch trash every night.

Just wait, Detroit WILL have down years, and we will see just how ******* loyal your fanbase is then.

Funny you say that because I live in Toronto and they have the most loyal fans and they sellout every night. Those are true fans although I hate to admit it, even though they are well aware of what the organization is doing they still show up to cheer on there players. Same can be said about NYR, they were there during there years when they werent playoff material. Sorry to say but thats a pretty lame excuse.

You're on a RED WINGS MESSAGE BOARD. We're going to talk s*** about other teams and other fans. If you can't handle RED WINGS FANS talking on a RED WINGS MESSAGE BOARD, maybe you need to find a new sandbox. We're not going to kowtow to the minority of posters here that don't root for the Wings. That's not how it works. If you want people to kiss your team's ass, go to a Hawks board.

It's like going to a NASCAR race and wondering why everyone's driving in a circle.

Thats fine, and I can handle it. My point is people are coming down on me for talking a little trash, when thats exactly wht I have to put up with from 75% of the posters here. If they are going to continue to bash the fans and th team that I support, im going to give it back. Its all good to me, I knew what I was getting into when I signed up, its the other posters here getting all butthurt ove some of the comments I make. I havent attacked anyone personally, and I will not do that.

Thats fine, and I can handle it. My point is people are coming down on me for talking a little trash, when thats exactly wht I have to put up with from 75% of the posters here. If they are going to continue to bash the fans and th team that I support, im going to give it back. Its all good to me, I knew what I was getting into when I signed up, its the other posters here getting all butthurt ove some of the comments I make. I havent attacked anyone personally, and I will not do that.

So.....

Your argument is that a fan should only be a fan if the team is doing well?? Welp... this is the EXACT reason we have all been poking fun at you, and sure enough, you don't disappoint.

Actually, maybe that other Hawks poster in the other thread did you a favor. 2 days ago you were the biggest troll on this site... now with this new guy, he makes you seem like a genius and a saint by comparison. (I said BY COMPARISON, sheesh.)

Also... I literally laughed out loud when you used the Wings past couple of decades of success as a reason why our fanbase is unknowledgeable. I really wonder if you have any awareness of how dumb you come across in your posts. Its not impossible to have a good, intelligent argument against the Wings and their fanbase, but you are doing a ridiculously poor job at it.

Might wanna learn a bit about the Wings' history before you post stuff like this.

Go Wikipedia "Detroit Red Wings" and read "The Dead Wings era".

The reason why the Red Wings have put a quality team on the ice for 20 straight seasons is because the team doesn't have a cheapskate penny-pinching owner who couldn't give a s*** about the team. The Iliches bought the Wings when they were the "Dead Wings," and turned it into a winning organization. Wirtz wouldn't even let you watch your team on TV. Honestly, I feel sorry for you and I'm not surprised a lot of fans stopped watching because of it.

As for having a quality product on the ice now, that's debatable. You guys won a cup, that's great. Happy for you. You also didn't have to go through Detroit to get it. See you in the playoffs, if your team makes it there.

He didn't 'do' anything other than 'simply leave the team'. There is nothing 'treasonous' about playing for a rival. There have been literally hundreds of players to do so in NHL history. But that's really beside the point. Like I said earlier, there is a time and place for it. During an honors ceremony commemorating past crontributions is not it.

Booing a former player when he's playing against you as a member of a rival team, like Fedorov, is fine. But if Fedorov were to be honored here, or we hold some celebration of the Cup wins he was a part of, I wouldn't expect him to get booed, and would think anyone doing so was disrespectful and classless. As Chelios said, let bygones be bygones.

You even said yourself that he shouldn't have been booed, so what exactly are you defending?

Do you really think anyone is suggesting that every single Hawks fan is classless? Mickey made a generalization about the Hawk fans in attendence. I think he even said something to the effect of 'not all of them' but it doesn't matter. It was a generalization, and many fans here are doing the same thing.

Have we as humans devolved into such PC ******* that we can't suffer hearing a generalization, even though everyone knows that generalizations are not, nor are even intended, to be taken as absolutes? We're criticizing Hawks fans as classless for booing Cheli. If you weren't booing him, it should go without saying that the criticism doesn't apply to you. Should we have provided a list of names of those we're referring to, so no precious innocent feelings are hurt? Grow a ******* shell.

Chicago fans should be embarassed by that display. It was classless. That doesn't mean every single fan is classless.

Chicago fans should be proud of the fantastic parade and celebration following their Cup win. That doesn't mean every single fan was a model of good sportsmanship and grace in victory. Did you run around the internet telling everyone praising the Hawk fans then not to make generalizations?

I never said he shouldn't have been booed. I said Hawks fans had every right to boo.

Never stated whether I would boo or not.

Idc if mickey generalized. what im trying to say is that it wasn't classless.

im done addressing the leaving for detroit issue, you obviously don't get it.

The bottom line is we aren't talking about this if the Hawks moron,douchebag, snake of a President did have this "heritage night" in the timing that he did.

I'm so sick of the whole "Detroit has been consistently good so they don't have real fans" argument. People here go all out for the Wings. We have arguably one of the worst economies in the country and people are still buying tickets that they can't afford to come watch their team play. Fans in both our arena and at other teams' arenas risk being kicked out of a game so they can throw an octopus on the ice during the playoffs. Maybe it's rude to do that in another team's arena, but it is a statement for how much those fans love their team, that they are willing to risk missing the game just to show some support. And when we won the Cup a couple years ago, 1.4 million people skipped work or school to come celebrate at the parade which was on a weekday and very inconvenient. Just because a team is great doesn't mean their fans aren't real fans.

Actually we came to the red wings message board to discuss a hockey related issue that both teams fans are aware of.

I have actually been a member here for a while and lurker for long before that. Do the same on other boards as well. I don't come in and talk trash and am usually (even here) treated like a fellow hockey fan. ... This is actually a very rare happening where another teams fans come to a board and don't sling a bunch of negative crap but simply try to discuss a topic and the local board members seem unable to hold a discussion.

And all the while you claim it is Hawk fans who lack knowledge or are immature. Take the blinders off and read this thread and tell me which teams fan base is not capable of hockey discussion.

I have to amend my statement about coming here and being able to discuss hockey with hockey fans in the past.

After looking at this thread I notice that except for haroldsnepts and hockeytown0001 you are all either newbees or old trolls. Makes me kind of sad, yeah, there was some ribbing both ways but it is fun to discuss hockey between different fan bases. It's pretty obvious those here now don't want that. it's more fun I guess to just be right all the time and never hear an opposing opinion.

Have a good day

Moderator/Admin feel free to delete the account or better yet remember my name and if the grown ups come back let me know.

Actually we came to the red wings message board to discuss a hockey related issue that both teams fans are aware of.

I have actually been a member here for a while and lurker for long before that. Do the same on other boards as well. I don't come in and talk trash and am usually (even here) treated like a fellow hockey fan. ... This is actually a very rare happening where another teams fans come to a board and don't sling a bunch of negative crap but simply try to discuss a topic and the local board members seem unable to hold a discussion.

And all the while you claim it is Hawk fans who lack knowledge or are immature. Take the blinders off and read this thread and tell me which teams fan base is not capable of hockey discussion.

Like I said earlier, unfortunately another Hawks poster who signed up yesterday has sort of tarnished the reputation of Hawks fans, its a generalization, but it was pretty embarassing (if you've read this thread at all you know who I am referring to.)

I am all for friendly knowledgeable hockey fans of any teams coming to discuss hockey related issues. I'm not sure any of the hostile comments here were meant for you, rather meant for the poster who's very username shows the exact level of ignorance that we are here discussing.

I have to amend my statement about coming here and being able to discuss hockey with hockey fans in the past.

After looking at this thread I notice that except for haroldsnepts and hockeytown0001 you are all either newbees or old trolls. Makes me kind of sad, yeah, there was some ribbing both ways but it is fun to discuss hockey between different fan bases. It's pretty obvious those here now don't want that. it's more fun I guess to just be right all the time and never hear an opposing opinion.

Have a good day

Moderator/Admin feel free to delete the account or better yet remember my name and if the grown ups come back let me know.

Can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

I'm so sick of the whole "Detroit has been consistently good so they don't have real fans" argument. People here go all out for the Wings. We have arguably one of the worst economies in the country and people are still buying tickets that they can't afford to come watch their team play. Fans in both our arena and at other teams' arenas risk being kicked out of a game so they can throw an octopus on the ice during the playoffs. Maybe it's rude to do that in another team's arena, but it is a statement for how much those fans love their team, that they are willing to risk missing the game just to show some support. And when we won the Cup a couple years ago, 1.4 million people skipped work or school to come celebrate at the parade which was on a weekday and very inconvenient. Just because a team is great doesn't mean their fans aren't real fans.

I think you are missing the pointof what I am trying to say. Im not trying to say that Detroit dont have loyal fans, because they do. All I am saying is when people try to bash the Blackhawks fanbase and call most of them bandwagoners, then turn around and praise the Red wings fanbase, I just dont think a lot of them have the right to do that. The Red Wings have been in contention for two decades, so most of the fans around here (I didnt say all, I said most), have never had to experience the losing side of their team. Do you honestly think that if the Wings were to suck for the next 10 years all these "loyal" fans would stick around? I highly doubt it. Some of you would, I will even go a far as to say that a lot of them would, but you would see a good deal of them lose interest.

My whole point is if you have never been on the losing side you dont have the right to call out a fanbase that has had to deal with what us Blackhawk fans have had to deal with for a LONG time. That is not a knock on Detroits fanbase, im simply saying that a lot of Wing fans just dont get how bad it has been for Chicago, because they have never had to deal with it. You should be thankful you have had such a great organization, that pretty much any team would kill to have.

I'm generally thinking that the fans who were cheering were fans who were around during the 90's at a minimum. The fans who were boo'ing were new bandwagon fans with the mentality of "He play for da Wings, He Enemy, booo!!

hahah i LOLed so hard when i read this. it was shameful though, i bet half that crowd didnt know chelios played for the hawks

I think you are missing the pointof what I am trying to say. Im not trying to say that Detroit dont have loyal fans, because they do. All I am saying is when people try to bash the Blackhawks fanbase and call most of them bandwagoners, then turn around and praise the Red wings fanbase, I just dont think a lot of them have the right to do that. The Red Wings have been in contention for two decades, so most of the fans around here (I didnt say all, I said most), have never had to experience the losing side of their team. Do you honestly think that if the Wings were to suck for the next 10 years all these "loyal" fans would stick around? I highly doubt it. Some of you would, I will even go a far as to say that a lot of them would, but you would see a good deal of them lose interest.

My whole point is if you have never been on the losing side you dont have the right to call out a fanbase that has had to deal with what us Blackhawk fans have had to deal with for a LONG time. That is not a knock on Detroits fanbase, im simply saying that a lot of Wing fans just dont get how bad it has been for Chicago, because they have never had to deal with it. You should be thankful you have had such a great organization, that pretty much any team would kill to have.

ok, but you have the right to dictate whether or not Red Wing fans would stop being loyal if they started losing just becaues your fellow blackhawk 'fans' weren't ? You sound so ridiculous, just stop posting.

Might wanna learn a bit about the Wings' history before you post stuff like this.

Go Wikipedia "Detroit Red Wings" and read "The Dead Wings era".

And hardly anyone went to those games, so it kind of validates the point he was making. If the Wings became a bottom dweller team again, I'm pretty sure attendance would drop significantly too.

The Lions are the Detroit team of choice we seem to go watch no matter what. :P

The Lions are the Detroit team of choice we seem to go watch no matter what. :P

Sigh... Yeah... Unfortunately... :no:

But that probably has more to do with American culture instead of how well sports teams perform city by city.