• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SouthernWingsFan

Chicago fans last night

Rate this topic

Every team has it's share of fans that are jerks, this team is no exception, even though I root for the LSU Tigers down here to win, I consider a lot of their fan base to really be a bunch of over the top jerks. I know plenty of Saints fans down here that are over the top with things as well, but in general (at least for the Saints), I consider many people down here to be welcoming and friendly, enjoying the company of people and fans from out of town and typically nobody goes overboard to where visitors feel unwelcomed.

I know all Blackhawk fans and Chicago fans aren't like this, but it's just a disgrace that Chelios was disrespected by a large majority of people last night just because he played for a rival. And this isn't the first time I've seen or heard of really bad disrespect from Chicago fans. In 2006 when the Chicago Bears went to the Super Bowl, they beat the Saints in the playoffs that year. I didn't travel up for that game, but a few friends/family did, not one story I heard from them, or from people on local talk radio down here was positive. They were not really welcomed or wanted, they were harassed, etc. And it's not like any Saints fans that I know of were looking to start trouble or stuff like that. I hate doing that - basically don't provoke me or give me reason to snap back at you in an angry or negative way when all I want to do is watch the game and mind my own business.

It's unfortuantely because I really like the city, went there in April and was the first time I was there in at least 15 years and I loved it.

I don't share in some of the disliking of the Blackhawks like some do in here because I'm not from the north (though I think I get it/understand it), I was happy they won the Cup last year partially for Hossa and partially because I have some family ties living up there and one of my friends down here is from Chicago, but for people here who live/have lived there or go there sometimes or whatever, do bad game experiences outweigh the good ones?

I was at the game and was pretty disappointed... They spent more time booing Detroit than they did cheering their own team. The Chelios thing was ridiculous and he looked a little upset after being booed even louder when he asked them to let bygones be bygones. Hell, they were booing/heckling his Mom!

Their "goal song" alone puts them in a category of idiocy that ranks highest in the NHL, to me. I picture them skipping around the arena like a bunch of goofy kids. Der-de-der-der-de-der.... :crazy: The song is about some skank who likes shoes, for heaven's sake.

Anyway, simple solution to that issue. Wings could f'ing show up and not let them ever play that moronic anthem again. I can turn the sound off - and I do!

As for the way the treated Chelios, it was the act of a fan base who haven't watched hockey for many years, and don't know how to behave. It was classless and stupid to boo a guy who still bleeds for that city, even if he did have more great years in Detroit than in his native Chicago. Glad I don't live there. Hope they lose miserably in the playoffs.

Edited by puckloo39

That was seriously one of the most ridiculously displays I've ever seen. I understand that they heckle Detroit because they're like our jealous little brother, that's fine. What I don't understand is how they can boo a guy who was pretty much your best defenseman for 9 years. Is your hatred and envy for Detroit that strong? I seriously hope that one day Toews, Keith or Seabrook demand a trade, leaving their organization with a huge hole in it.

You're a bunch of spoiled brats throwing temper tantrums. You're a drunk prom date who can't hold her her liquor. You're that guy at the bar who gets kicked out because he keeps taking his shirt off. Now I'm a hypocrite because I've thrown a tantrum too, but I'm moving on like you guys should. Grow up Chicago fans.

I'm generally thinking that the fans who were cheering were fans who were around during the 90's at a minimum. The fans who were boo'ing were new bandwagon fans with the mentality of "He play for da Wings, He Enemy, booo!!" Which is truly sad because he has done so much for that team. Chelios was traded. He didn't test the free agent market, he didn't demand a trade. Dollar Bill Wurtz (sp) traded him to detroit, much like he did to all his star players during that time. Chelios was an All star almost every year he played in Chicago and also won a Norris I believe. It really does show the true ignorance of the new Blackhawk fan.

Its also very true that even though he works for the Wings and is considered a Wing today, he still LOVES Chicago. I've spoken with his sister and she made it very clear that his heart is pretty much split between the cities and that he would have played there again in a heartbeat.

So basically don't get down on all chicago fans because a lot of them know what is going on and what to do, last night was just seemingly overrun by the new crowd. All the Blackhawks fans in the hockey circles im associated with understand Chelios and his value to that franchise.

I was at the game and was pretty disappointed... They spent more time booing Detroit than they did cheering their own team. The Chelios thing was ridiculous and he looked a little upset after being booed even louder when he asked them to let bygones be bygones. Hell, they were booing/heckling his Mom!

It was very disappointing, and extremely disrespectful. You could tell that Mickey was upset about it during the broadcast. Their fanbase just has this negative energy about it, and even if I were a Blackhawk fan I wouldn't be able to stand it going to the games. You go to the Joe its "Lets Go Red Wings" lets cheer our team on. At the United Center its "Detroit Sucks," sometimes even when they aren't playing us. Its one thing to have a few cheap shots at the opponent, but to do that the entire game.

Their treatment of Cheli just exposes them for who they are as a fanbase. They know nothing about hockey or their team's history other than the fact that they won a Stanley Cup last year.

If there had been a Probert appreciation night at the Joe, he wouldn't have been booed by us.

Edited by ACallToArms

Anyway, simple solution to that issue. Wings could f'ing show up and not let them ever play that moronic anthem again. I can turn the sound off - and I do!

Agreed. I read some posts in the GDT saying that Detroit doesn't consider Chicago to be a real threat anymore, so they don't take them seriously, yadda yadda. No excuse. The Wings knew they could clobber them, why take a night off, and embarass yourselves in front of a bunch of bandwagon Chicago fans, only adding fuel to their fire.

As someone else mentioned here, you have to remember that most Blackhawks "fans" didn't give two s***s about the Hawks two years ago. Most of their "fans" jumped on the bandwagon last season. So naturally they don't remember Cheli playing for Chicago. Hell, they don't even remember him playing for Detroit since they didn't watch hockey until last year.

I think Mickey said it best last night when he said (I'm paraphrasing) "When you actually have a little class and knowledge of hockey, you respect what a guy like Cheli has done for your team in the past"

Many Chicago fans are newbie bandwagon types who have both no class or hockey knowledge.

To be honest, I think the Hawks wanted it to go down like that for whatever reason. I mean, they know how much of douchy assholes their "fans" are, and they could have picked a better day to honor Cheli than at a Detroit game, knowing that would happen.

Edited by sleepwalker

I happened to listen to the beginning of the game on the radio, and I thought Paul Woods was going to jump out of the booth after the fans began booing Cheli! I was actually shocked they booed him as well. I did however like how Cheli handled it and I think it showed his true professionalism!

As for people heckling his mom and family, that simply crosses the line. I could go on and say alot about that, but I'm not going to stoop to the level of some people wether they are from Chicago or not, that is simply uncalled for!

Like someone else said, the Wings should honor him with the likes of Lindsey, Howe and some of the other greats when the Hawks are in town next! Cheli sure does deserve thr respect that he would get from the JLA crowd!

I really felt bad for Cheli lastnight, but I know he will brush it off like a true Champ!

Let's not get into a pee-ing match with BlackHawks fans. They've proven that they're a bunch of classless punks on multiple occasions.

Hawks fans remind me alot of Av's fans when they won their 1st Cup. None of them really knew what was happening on the ice, they knew the players that the media told them to know and only cheered when that player scored. B/C that's all they knew, other than that it was all marketing buzz-words.

"going Cup Crazy" "Win that Stanley Thing" "Where's Jordan" "do we have a Capone on the team" you know all the typical Chicago Stuff. :huh:

Besides it's just a fun Original-6 rivalry we get to have again. Some old-time hate-on-hate hockey. I'm tired of having "rivalries" Columbus, Nashville, Colorado (aka Quebec), + all the other expansion teams.

:blink:

I didn't see the game or the 'ceremony' until this morning, but I received texts about Chicago's "fans" booing Cheli last night and my feelings towards the Hawks went from apathetic to disdain. Even with the 'Detroit Sucks' chants, they'd never really done anything that got under my skin because I was able to brush them off; but that was unacceptable.

Glad Chelios was able to take it in stride like a professional.

I think Chicago fans are obsessed with the Wings, hence the Wings chants when they're not even playing against Detroit.

They're just jealous we've had a lot of success for a long time, while they've been sucking for a long time. Apparenlty, one Cup won't change that.

Their "goal song" alone puts them in a category of idiocy that ranks highest in the NHL, to me. I picture them skipping around the arena like a bunch of goofy kids. Der-de-der-der-de-der.... :crazy: The song is about some skank who likes shoes, for heaven's sake.

We can't really talk crap about another team's goal song when ours is Enrique Inglesias- I Like It. Just sayin'. They should really change that.

Guest scottj

^^^ I second the Chicago obsession with Detroit idea

I mean... after you won the Stanley Cup and didn't even go through them? That just SCCCRRRREEEEEAAAAAMMMSS :o :o :o :o :o insecurity

I kinda sorta wanna move to Chicago but the fact that it seems like such a horrible sports town makes it less appealing to me.... and that's probably the only thing

this should be no surprise to us....seems like half the fans are loyal hawk fans (idiots)...and the other half are fair weather fans (brand new to the sport) who thought they were clapping for chili.

For a second just imagine being born in chicago and growing up a hawks fan...i would hate the wings for being a better team with better players for 95% of the last 20 years...you would never see anything like this in detroit...could you imagine the wings faithful booing ted lindsay...f*** no.

Edited by soultrain

I never got why people would Boo any player that has accomplished as much as Chelios, and was such a pleasure to watch play. We got to watch him for almost a decade, in his prime, and then he was traded. Fans take things WAY to seriously. Its all about respect and unless said player said something like "f*** your city and the fans", I would cheer them on. Chelios was a great player and deserved a better reception than he got, its that simple.

However, I dont get all the Hawk bashing in this thread. You guys take threads like this as an opportunity to slam the Hawks and take cheap shots. You should show a little class yourself and not stoop to that level just because of a few idiot Hawk fans who dont understand or respect the game and the great players like Chelios.

I never got why people would Boo any player that has accomplished as much as Chelios, and was such a pleasure to watch play. We got to watch him for almost a decade, in his prime, and then he was traded. Fans take things WAY to seriously. Its all about respect and unless said player said something like "f*** your city and the fans", I would cheer them on. Chelios was a great player and deserved a better reception than he got, its that simple.

However, I dont get all the Hawk bashing in this thread. You guys take threads like this as an opportunity to slam the Hawks and take cheap shots. You should show a little class yourself and not stoop to that level just because of a few idiot Hawk fans who dont understand or respect the game and the great players like Chelios.

While most of this post is true....

I just cant resist pointing out the absurd depth of irony in you attempting to give us a lesson about respect based on your post history and some of the comments you have made on this board.

From a Chicago news paper article online....

(Oddly enough, Scotty Bowman was the coach of both the 1973 Canadiens and the 1992 Pittsburgh Penguins.) Fans memories are short, and most only remember that Chelios went on to win some hardware with the hated Red Wings. What many fans forget is that Chelios had the Red Wings on a no-trade list for most of his time in Chicago, and only relented to the trade when management had flushed the organization so far down the toilet that a 37-year-old Chelios accepted a deal out of Chicago in March of 1999.

Let's also not hold against Chelios that the Blackhawks didn't do anything with the two first round picks they got from Detroit in the trade. If you're old enough to remember what was going on with the organization in the late-90s and early parts of the 2000s, it was far from Chelios' fault that the team was in the crapper.

When Chelios accepted the trade out of town, two men I consider horsemen of the apocalypse were running the Blackhawks into the ground.

Of course they weren't watching hockey at that time so how would they know ? Did anyone happen to even acknowledge Stan Mikita yesterday ? because from the silence of the crowd when his name was announced was enough to summarize up Chicago's current fanbase.