• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#41 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:27 PM

Well, I can't produce links. My sources are "people in the know". I don't blame you for not believing me. That's the way it happened, I'm sorry. My source actually likes Chelios and was likely one of the fans cheering him last night. Even if he is only guilty of changing his mind about detroit its still treasonous and he knows it. He told his wife he was expecting boos(THAT is verifiable). You have to question McDouche for having the heritage night with the wings in town, while Chelios is a member of the wings front office and a year after he retired. So dumb.

I agree about it being a really questionable heritage night, especially at this point.

Him EXPECTING to be bood, is very VERY different than DESERVING to be bood. Of course he is expecting to be bood, he knows as well as anyone how classless and ignorant that fan base can be.
Posted Image

#42 FIBS

FIBS

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

Of course he is expecting to be bood, he knows as well as anyone how classless and ignorant that fan base can be.

Errrr he knows what he did.

I'll say up front that I don't know the whole situation regarding Federov but you guys booed him and he was one of the greats...Just read an article quoting Federov as saying they were call him a "commie" I guess... he said something like: "don't they know the Cold War is over?" LOL

#43 MannyK

MannyK

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Location:Brookline, MA (formerly Clinton Township / Ann Arbor, MI)

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

Let's Go Wings!

#44 FIBS

FIBS

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNn3k1KfOrs

sadly way too accurate

#45 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

I'll say up front that I don't know the whole situation regarding Federov but you guys booed him and he was one of the greats...Just read an article quoting Federov as saying they were call him a "commie" I guess... he said something like: "don't they know the Cold War is over?" LOL

IMO, I don't see the point of booing Fedorov either. He gave us some great years, and was ALWAYS a bit of a dramaqueen, even before he left us. I still recall that whole thing about him not playing during the beginning of 97-98 for those contract reasons.

I guess I just don't understand booing someone simply for leaving your team. The only time I think it is warranted to boo a particular player is if the player being bood has done something prior ON THE ICE to your team. IE Claude Lemieux for Wings fans, etc.

I just don't see the point in booing a player for simply doing his job. He supposed to retire 10 years early cause his hometown didn't want him anymore?
Posted Image

#46 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

This video is a classic -- and all true for 99% of Blackhawk "fans". If what's his name shows up again, I suggest we all just post this hilarious parody as an answer. The truth hurts!! :lol:

Edited by puckloo39, 18 December 2010 - 06:52 PM.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#47 FIBS

FIBS

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

IMO, I don't see the point of booing Fedorov either. He gave us some great years, and was ALWAYS a bit of a dramaqueen, even before he left us. I still recall that whole thing about him not playing during the beginning of 97-98 for those contract reasons.

I guess I just don't understand booing someone simply for leaving your team. The only time I think it is warranted to boo a particular player is if the player being bood has done something prior ON THE ICE to your team. IE Claude Lemieux for Wings fans, etc.

I just don't see the point in booing a player for simply doing his job. He supposed to retire 10 years early cause his hometown didn't want him anymore?

He didn't "simply leave the team". I can go on and on about why they booed him. And I have but people don't get it. I just don't see how the fans are classless for booing and again it wasn't nearly 100%. There are still many people who respect what he did and those people cheered, I assume. Just not fair that Redmond painted all Hawks fans with the same brush, but I understand cause I know he loved Chelios and won 2 cups with the wings.

edit: really puckloo? 99%?

Edited by FIBS, 18 December 2010 - 06:57 PM.

#48 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

He didn't "simply leave the team". I can go on and on about why they booed him. And I have but people don't get it. I just don't see how the fans are classless for booing and again it wasn't nearly 100%. There are still many people who respect what he did and those people cheered, I assume. Just not fair that Redmond painted all Hawks fans with the same brush, but I understand cause I know he loved Chelios and won 2 cups with the wings.

edit: really puckloo? 99%?

Unfortunately, whether true or not, you citing a source who is "in the know" is not exactly going to be enough to persuade a Wings forums that Hawks fans are universally classy for booing one of the greatest players of all time while he was wearing a Hawks jersey and talking about how much he loves Chicago.

I will say this though: Being at the game, I didn't think the booing was that bad, maybe it looked worse on TV. To me, there were more people cheering than booing, and anytime they'd start booing louder, the cheers got louder too.

FIBS, I think all of your points in this thread would have been taken much more openly if it wasn't for this other "fan" who is embarrassing himself pretty badly. Its the old 'guilty by association', unfortunately.

And that said, I agree with you about painting a fan base with the same brush, every team has their jerk fans, and the Wings are no different. Actually the Hawks fans behind me and my dad at the game were really very friendly, talked hockey with us, told us to "keep our chin up and brush off the insults", and were open and welcoming us as fans. Sadly, the people TWO rows back threatened to piss on us. Yes, PISS on us. Sigh.
Posted Image

#49 FIBS

FIBS

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

Unfortunately, whether true or not, you citing a source who is "in the know" is not exactly going to be enough to persuade a Wings forums that Hawks fans are universally classy for booing one of the greatest players of all time while he was wearing a Hawks jersey and talking about how much he loves Chicago.

I will say this though: Being at the game, I didn't think the booing was that bad, maybe it looked worse on TV. To me, there were more people cheering than booing, and anytime they'd start booing louder, the cheers got louder too.

FIBS, I think all of your points in this thread would have been taken much more openly if it wasn't for this other "fan" who is embarrassing himself pretty badly. Its the old 'guilty by association', unfortunately.

And that said, I agree with you about painting a fan base with the same brush, every team has their jerk fans, and the Wings are no different. Actually the Hawks fans behind me and my dad at the game were really very friendly, talked hockey with us, told us to "keep our chin up and brush off the insults", and were open and welcoming us as fans. Sadly, the people TWO rows back threatened to piss on us. Yes, PISS on us. Sigh.

I didn't expect you to believe it, nor do I blame anyone for not believing it. It's good enough for me though. I'll just say this guy was at Kane's house when he had the Cup party... to give you an example. This guy loves Kane of course while I dislike him. And to think I used to defend Kane during his cabbie beating days...

Sucks about the guys who wanted to piss on you. I wish that wasn't true. Glad at least some people were cool.

#50 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

11>4

#51 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

Well, I can't produce links. My sources are "people in the know". I don't blame you for not believing me. That's the way it happened, I'm sorry. My source actually likes Chelios and was likely one of the fans cheering him last night. Even if he is only guilty of changing his mind about detroit its still treasonous and he knows it....

He didn't 'do' anything other than 'simply leave the team'. There is nothing 'treasonous' about playing for a rival. There have been literally hundreds of players to do so in NHL history. But that's really beside the point. Like I said earlier, there is a time and place for it. During an honors ceremony commemorating past crontributions is not it.

Booing a former player when he's playing against you as a member of a rival team, like Fedorov, is fine. But if Fedorov were to be honored here, or we hold some celebration of the Cup wins he was a part of, I wouldn't expect him to get booed, and would think anyone doing so was disrespectful and classless. As Chelios said, let bygones be bygones.

You even said yourself that he shouldn't have been booed, so what exactly are you defending?

Do you really think anyone is suggesting that every single Hawks fan is classless? Mickey made a generalization about the Hawk fans in attendence. I think he even said something to the effect of 'not all of them' but it doesn't matter. It was a generalization, and many fans here are doing the same thing.

Have we as humans devolved into such PC ******* that we can't suffer hearing a generalization, even though everyone knows that generalizations are not, nor are even intended, to be taken as absolutes? We're criticizing Hawks fans as classless for booing Cheli. If you weren't booing him, it should go without saying that the criticism doesn't apply to you. Should we have provided a list of names of those we're referring to, so no precious innocent feelings are hurt? Grow af****** shell.

Chicago fans should be embarassed by that display. It was classless. That doesn't mean every single fan is classless.

Chicago fans should be proud of the fantastic parade and celebration following their Cup win. That doesn't mean every single fan was a model of good sportsmanship and grace in victory. Did you run around the internet telling everyone praising the Hawk fans then not to make generalizations?

#52 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:34 PM

A couple opinions:

1. Most of the Hawks fans in the arena have been fans for about 1.5 years, so they probably didn't even know that Chelios played for them or who he even is in the first place.

2. I don't think we would do the same thing. If Sergei Fedorov was being honored, I doubt people would boo him, even though he left on his own choice (not traded like Chelios) and it really hurt.

#53 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:59 PM

Ever heard of Bob Probert?

He left Detroit oi what many felt were pretty bad terms - however he got a standing ovation when he attended Stevie Y's retirement ceremony at the Joe...In other words this is how the vast majority of us Detroit Red Wing fans behave - in a classy/respectful manner, and as Cheli said last night - "let by gones be by gones".

I can honestly say that I know a few great Blackhawk fans (in fact 1 is a childhood friend), but many trips to Chicago (both Stadium, and the UC) has left many a bad taste in this Cheeseheads' mouth...Having had the opportunity in attending Red Wing games in other cities (Dallas, Phoenix, St.Louis, Nashville, Minnesota) I can honestly say the fans in Chicago are generally the most obnoxious by a wide margin.

EDIT - why the modification of my response to R.G.?

Edited by F.Michael, 18 December 2010 - 09:04 PM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#54 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:00 PM

Worst fanbase in professional sports.

Last night especially reinforced that.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#55 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,781 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:09 PM

You'd think Marian Hossa would feel somewhat of a letdown after playing for bandwagon central in Pittsburgh, then going to the class of the NHL in Detroit, then going back down the sewers again in terms of fan class.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#56 mahimahi23

mahimahi23

Rookie

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:06 AM

You'd think Marian Hossa would feel somewhat of a letdown after playing for bandwagon central in Pittsburgh, then going to the class of the NHL in Detroit, then going back down the sewers again in terms of fan class.

How can anyone expect me or anyone else to be all polite and talk hockey when some of your posters post things like this? ^^

I would love to see how many of your "fans" would stick around if Detroit started losing and lost for years and years and years. Would all thse "loyal" fans still pack the arenas? My guess would be NO. Just because we didnt sell out every night, or have massive crowds during the "down" years doesnt mean that because we NOW do that they are all just bandwagon fans. IMO Detroit fans have no leg to stand on because most of them havent been fans long enough to comment on being a "true" fan. You havemade the playoffs, what, 20 straight seasons? Of course your fanbase has HUGE support, becaus they havent had to deal with all these losing seasons. Detroit has put a good product on the ice for TWO DECADES. Chicago finally has gotten their heads out of their asses ad put a good product on the Ice, so guess what, the fans are now showing up. This is not an excuse, its reality. People arent going to fork over their hard earned money to watch trash every night.

Just wait, Detroit WILL have down years, and we will see just howf****** loyal your fanbase is then.

#57 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:13 AM

How can anyone expect me or anyone else to be all polite and talk hockey when some of your posters post things like this? ^^

You're on a RED WINGS MESSAGE BOARD. We're going to talk s*** about other teams and other fans. If you can't handle RED WINGS FANS talking on a RED WINGS MESSAGE BOARD, maybe you need to find a new sandbox. We're not going to kowtow to the minority of posters here that don't root for the Wings. That's not how it works. If you want people to kiss your team's ass, go to a Hawks board.

It's like going to a NASCAR race and wondering why everyone's driving in a circle.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#58 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:16 AM

I would love to see how many of your "fans" would stick around if Detroit started losing and lost for years and years and years. Would all thse "loyal" fans still pack the arenas? My guess would be NO. Just because we didnt sell out every night, or have massive crowds during the "down" years doesnt mean that because we NOW do that they are all just bandwagon fans. IMO Detroit fans have no leg to stand on because most of them havent been fans long enough to comment on being a "true" fan. You havemade the playoffs, what, 20 straight seasons? Of course your fanbase has HUGE support, becaus they havent had to deal with all these losing seasons. Detroit has put a good product on the ice for TWO DECADES. Chicago finally has gotten their heads out of their asses ad put a good product on the Ice, so guess what, the fans are now showing up. This is not an excuse, its reality. People arent going to fork over their hard earned money to watch trash every night.

Just wait, Detroit WILL have down years, and we will see just howf****** loyal your fanbase is then.

Funny you say that because I live in Toronto and they have the most loyal fans and they sellout every night. Those are true fans although I hate to admit it, even though they are well aware of what the organization is doing they still show up to cheer on there players. Same can be said about NYR, they were there during there years when they werent playoff material. Sorry to say but thats a pretty lame excuse.

#59 mahimahi23

mahimahi23

Rookie

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:19 AM

You're on a RED WINGS MESSAGE BOARD. We're going to talk s*** about other teams and other fans. If you can't handle RED WINGS FANS talking on a RED WINGS MESSAGE BOARD, maybe you need to find a new sandbox. We're not going to kowtow to the minority of posters here that don't root for the Wings. That's not how it works. If you want people to kiss your team's ass, go to a Hawks board.

It's like going to a NASCAR race and wondering why everyone's driving in a circle.

Thats fine, and I can handle it. My point is people are coming down on me for talking a little trash, when thats exactly wht I have to put up with from 75% of the posters here. If they are going to continue to bash the fans and th team that I support, im going to give it back. Its all good to me, I knew what I was getting into when I signed up, its the other posters here getting all butthurt ove some of the comments I make. I havent attacked anyone personally, and I will not do that.

#60 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:00 AM

Thats fine, and I can handle it. My point is people are coming down on me for talking a little trash, when thats exactly wht I have to put up with from 75% of the posters here. If they are going to continue to bash the fans and th team that I support, im going to give it back. Its all good to me, I knew what I was getting into when I signed up, its the other posters here getting all butthurt ove some of the comments I make. I havent attacked anyone personally, and I will not do that.

So.....

Your argument is that a fan should only be a fan if the team is doing well?? Welp... this is the EXACT reason we have all been poking fun at you, and sure enough, you don't disappoint.

Actually, maybe that other Hawks poster in the other thread did you a favor. 2 days ago you were the biggest troll on this site... now with this new guy, he makes you seem like a genius and a saint by comparison. (I said BY COMPARISON, sheesh.)

Also... I literally laughed out loud when you used the Wings past couple of decades of success as a reason why our fanbase is unknowledgeable. I really wonder if you have any awareness of how dumb you come across in your posts. Its not impossible to have a good, intelligent argument against the Wings and their fanbase, but you are doing a ridiculously poor job at it.
Posted Image