• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Heaten

Swedish star - Carl Hagelin sign with the Wings?

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

Interesting...

Currently the property of the New York Rangers, who selected the 5-11, 176-pound left-winger from Sodertalje, Sweden with the 168th pick of the 2007 National Hockey League entry draft, word around the NHL is that the Rangers won't be signing Hagelin, who would then become a free agent Aug. 15, 2011. “I wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit sign him,” said one NHL scout at Saturday's game.

More: http://communities.canada.com/windsorstar/blogs/duffersdabbles/archive/2010/12/14/could-michigan-s-swedish-star-be-headed-to-wings.aspx

Why would the Rangers not want him, if he is so good?

Rangers are not seeing eye to eye with him and his agent it seems.

In that sense, how significant is all that drama and would the Wings want a character like his?

I'm more in favor of continuing to cultivate loyalty from within our own team. Unless he says yest to two years in the AHL (with a chance here and there to play in the NHL when injuries strike) he isn't a good signing.

Ville Leino is a good precedent in this case... though I am aware that Hagelin may be nothing like him.

5-11, 176-pound left-winger from Sodertalje, Sweden
“I wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit sign him,” said one NHL scout at Saturday's game.

He's a small Swede, of course a scout would say this.

Plus, it seems a lot of people in here are just reading "Swedish Star" and don't know he's only 22 and playing college hockey, he's not over in Europe. It is nowhere near the same situation as Leino.

Guest Heaten

I don't know anything about him other than the headline says "Swedish Star". And we all know how Detroit love talented Swedes. But if he's got an attitude/entitlement problem, then pass. Don't need another Leino -type situation.

Edited by Heaten

Ok a couple things. First I don't know why the Rangers aren't planning on signing him but I doubt he has character issues considering he could have already turned pro but chose to go back to school and finish his degree, plus he is the co-captain of Michigan's team. Second he is not a one way player, he is probably the best defensive forward in the CCHA (yes better than Riley Sheahan). Hagelin would be a great pick up.

Ok a couple things. First I don't know why the Rangers aren't planning on signing him but I doubt he has character issues considering he could have already turned pro but chose to go back to school and finish his degree, plus he is the co-captain of Michigan's team. Second he is not a one way player, he is probably the best defensive forward in the CCHA (yes better than Riley Sheahan). Hagelin would be a great pick up.

I honestly just think people read the title and didn't even bother to see he was in college.

22 yrs old and still playing college hockey? he better be dominating or no thanks.

I know nothing about this guy but his stats at U of M look like he could be a solid player:

GP G A Pts PIM

2007-08 U. of Michigan CCHA 41 11 11 22 28

2008-09 U. of Michigan CCHA 41 13 18 31 32

2009-10 U. of Michigan CCHA 45 19 31 50 34

2010-11 U. of Michigan CCHA 19 9 10 19 27

Gustav Nyquist

2008-09 U. of Maine H-East 38 13 19 32 28

2009-10 U. of Maine H-East 39 19 42 61 20

2010-11 U. of Maine H-East 16 6 14 20 2

looks like we already got one

Despite his scouting report, Nyquist really isn't all that superb defensively. He's capable but perhaps hasn't shown it at Maine because they've asked him to score. Plus, like Zetterberg, he skates hard and his speed is good but it's nothing like Hagelin. Nyquist is the better playmaker though for sure and a better scorer overall.