• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Aussie_Wing

Call up Ilari Filppula?

Rate this topic

My only point initially in responding was to clarify the suggestion that iFlip was the best offensive performer on the team to date. As far as calling him up, I think people, especially the "Flip slappies" as some might say, seem to think that once he is brought up he will be as good as his brother, and that we aren't looking at a Wayne/Brent situation.

Do you always let your immagination run wild?

Where did I actually say that iFlip was the teams best player to this point? All I said was that he's leading the Griffins in goals (fact), we've lost a centre in Datsyuk and he is a centre (fact), compute?

All this talk about people expecting him to be as good as Val is all on you.

I see him on the team next year with our departures if we re-sign him. We have 2 RFAs next year that WILL be on the team (Mursak/Emmerton). Tatar won't be because he still has options available. Will the possibilities of Draper, Modano, Holmstrom, Miller, Hudler all either being let go or retiring or being traded, who else would you call up? iFlip of course! Jordan Owens may get a look as well.

He's a lot higher on the depth chart than you may realize, too. This year he's been the best, most consistent, Griffin. Last year he was the best player in the SML. He's pretty high on the depth chart.

What's more impressive, a guy with a PPG of 1.0 for 80 games, or a guy with a PPG of 1 during 40 games? The guy who did it longer. I know this is an extreme case, but it had to be done to get this point across:

iFlip has been the best offensive player on the Griffins.

With how much is coming off the books I don't see the wings standing pat with what they have + GR I see them picking up a couple forwards and playing with 13 again and right up against the cap.

With how much is coming off the books I don't see the wings standing pat with what they have + GR I see them picking up a couple forwards and playing with 13 again and right up against the cap.

We have 13 forwards now. Possibly losing 5. Calling up at least 2. So you think Holland and Babcock will sign 3 UFAs to get to the 13? i think two at most, with iFlip making up the 13th forward/rotating.

Plus, we can't do more than 1 year deals for guys seeing how we have some big pay raises coming up after next season.

Edited by Konnan511

We have 13 forwards now. Possibly losing 5. Calling up at least 2. So you think Holland and Babcock will sign 3 UFAs to get to the 13? i think two at most, with iFlip making up the 13th forward/rotating.

Its not just up to Holland, Ilitch is the end all be all on the money and it seems he likes to have the wings pretty close to the cap. And I mean honestly have you been watching the Griffins? iFlip isn't as dominate as his stats make him look, which isn't that dominate anyway.

Plus, we can't do more than 1 year deals for guys seeing how we have some big pay raises coming up after next season.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Bertuzzi - Filppula - Franzen

Hudler* - Abdelkader - Cleary

Eaves - Helm - Mursak

(Emmerton, iFlip)

If Hudler is traded, bump up Eaves, and slot Emmo onto that 4th line).

Eaves - Helm - Mursak

(Emmerton, iFlip)

I see at least one UFA forward in the wings future, vFlip hasn't been that great as a second line center.

Eaves - Helm - Mursak

(Emmerton, iFlip)

Exactly. And I also think Holmstrom might retire and I'm 95% sure Hudler is gone.

Its not just up to Holland, Ilitch is the end all be all on the money and it seems he likes to have the wings pretty close to the cap. And I mean honestly have you been watching the Griffins? iFlip isn't as dominate as his stats make him look, which isn't that dominate anyway.

Yes, yes I have been. In person and online. Don't confuse flash with dominance. Plus, I don't think I ever said dominate. You don't have to dominate to be the best player or a successful. Zetterberg doesn't really dominate, he's often invisible and then, BAM, he scores.

According to columnist Casey Richey

They do absolutely nothing. They play things tight with the roster and hope that nothing happens. Jakub Kindl is back up to the Red Wings after his stint with the Grand Rapids Griffins. I was talking with JJ about this after the game and if necessary, do the Wings move Jonathan Ericsson to forward and Kindl to his spot? I think it'd be neat to see that but I also think Ericsson's playing pretty good defensively right now and don't want to shake that up. Likelihood they do nothing: 4/5. While it would be good to give Draper, Hudler or Miller or whoever a break, it's pretty much the Holland M.O. to make do and why not?

The Wings call up Ilari Filppula. Ilari scored a pair of goals in tonight's Griffins' win and is one of the offensive leaders for Grand Rapids at this point of the season. Of course, as every Red Wings' fan can guess by his last name, he's the brother of Valtteri Filppula so maybe Babcock puts them on a line together and we see some Filppula to Filppula plays out there. Likelihood they call up Ilari: 3/5. I think I read these stipulations correctly and if I did, Filppula is exempt since he is in the first year of his contract and that's the threshold for players 25+ years of age.

The Wings call up Tomas Tatar. Like Filppula, Tatar has been one of the offensive leaders and is one of those players that a lot of Detroit fans are sitting there licking their chops at the amount of potential this kid has. I personally think he's capable of performing decently at the NHL level, although I'd expect he only gets press box time if he does get the call. Likelihood they call up Tatar: 2/5. Like I said on Ilari, I think I read it correctly and Tatar would be able to go up and down without having to clear waivers.

The Wings trade for Ville Leino.

No to iFlip, hes a career AHLer, time to let the prospects get some NHL time under their belts.

You don't like any of the Filppulas do you?

Did Thranduil Filppula imprison your father too or something? (Points to anyone who knows that dorky reference).

I think nobody will be called up and Babs will give Draper a solid spot on the bottom line. Abby, Helm, Eaves, and Miller may all get opportunities on the second/third line while Babcock finds chemistry for everyone.

I agree that this is what they will do. They have had extra forwards all ready, so why would you call someone up when you have enough for a full line-up.

Jamie Tardif -33GP: 19Pts (11G, 8A)

Grand Rapids Griffins' November Player of the Month.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH - Jamie Tardif. The captain narrowly edged out Tatar and his record setting 7 point game for the honor this month. In November, Tardif posted a very respectable 4 goals and 3 assists for 7 points, good for second on the team. But those numbers only tell part of the story, as a lot of his value can’t be measured that way. He is involved every shift, every game giving 100% effort and leading by example. During a very trying month for the team, he was one of the hardest workers in all three zones, and was one of the few players who brought a consistent physical game.

:clap:

Give him his chance.

All this talk about call-ups, have people forgotten we've got an extra player already called up? We rotate Eaves-Draper-Miller. Now they can all play. If someone does get called up they'll hardly ever play, if at all.

EXACTLY - we have enough players for 4 lines, so call-up=no.

/thread.

Do you always let your immagination run wild?

Where did I actually say that iFlip was the teams best player to this point? All I said was that he's leading the Griffins in goals (fact), we've lost a centre in Datsyuk and he is a centre (fact), compute?

All this talk about people expecting him to be as good as Val is all on you.

I was at the game last night and Ilari played great. He's definitely been one of the hottest Griffins lately (even if his stats aren't through the roof) and he is a big reason for their drastic turn around as of late in quality of play. In the 3rd period alone he created plenty of chances, back checked well, had a couple of takeaways and was clearly one of the top Griffins on the ice last night.

Obviously, there isn't a direct correlation between the way he - or anyone in Grand Rapids - is playing and NHL success; though. The Griffins as a team are finally coming together and are beating teams convincingly that had previously crushed them. The whole team is finally reaching their offensive potential and are, as a team, making a lot of defenses look pretty silly while they do it. That then begs the question: how much of the top producers' success related directly to what the Griffins have been able to do lately?

For what it's worth, Tatar also had 3 helpers last night.

I am a fan of Jakub Kindl, but I'm pretty disappointed that he is the 'call-up' at the moment. Obviously, they're trying to give him some NHL time with their new roster opening but, as someone else stated, Draper isn't going to be the answer. The Wings need to fill Pasha's roll by committee, and it'd be great to see one of the Griffins get their shot. Moreover, I'd rather see Kindl continue his work in the AHL because he needs the playing time and stability right now - he's playing strong in GR and I think a lot of it has to do with the larger role he has within the team.

IF someone is called up, it should be Filppula. With Draper being rotated into the line-up too, I think it'd have less of an impact on a more mature player to be rotated in and out of the line-up. It could hurt a guy like Emmerton (mentally to add to the knee) or Mursak to be rotated in and out, not getting consistent minutes in either league, but I think maybe Filppula could handle it better. It'll also give him a chance to hang out and maybe even play with his brother, so he'd be a little more motivated that way, I think.

Not that I don't think Filppula's less important than Emmerton or Mursak, but I think they both have higher ceilings and are still in the midst of growing as players. I see no reason at all not to call up Ilari, even with that last spot being rotated. This would be a good chance to show what he can do at the NHL level, because at 29 years old, he's not going to get any younger.

select name

from griffins

where G > 10

and PTS > 20

and SH_PRC > 20

1 row returned..

NAME

---------------

iflip

The data never lies... :P

I want to see what the Flips can do when they are together.

Edited by redwingmachine

He's a good AHL player, but I'd like a guy with more skill to try to pick up some of Datsyuk's slack. Tardiff is a good guy, but he's just a journeyman AHL player. And I know all of you fight slappies will tell me how I'm wrong and what not, but there have been many AHL players to put up a lot of points in the AHL and never be able to transition to a higher league.

Ability to fight as well as play is always a massive plus.

Actually Tardif wouldn't be bad. They should throw the guy a bone for being down and playing for grand rapids for so long. He has always produced and would actually be a good 13th forward for the wings. Iflip can continue tearing up down there and we get some jam in the lineup that can be happy sitting in the press box

He's a good AHL player, but I'd like a guy with more skill to try to pick up some of Datsyuk's slack. Tardiff is a good guy, but he's just a journeyman AHL player. And I know all of you fight slappies will tell me how I'm wrong and what not, but there have been many AHL players to put up a lot of points in the AHL and never be able to transition to a higher league.

He's not a journeyman AHL player. He's spent his entire career at Grand Rapids (apart from 3 games at the very start of his career).

He's never been given a chance to show what he can do in the NHL due to the depth of Detroit. It has nothing to do with being a "fight slappy." If it was about fighting, I'd be calling for Jordan Owens as he actually goes looking for fights whilst Tardif doesn't.