• Please log in to reply
495 replies to this topic

#461 casey holmstrom

casey holmstrom

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:21 PM

this could be a looooong 4-5 weeks ladies and gentleman.
Posted Image

#462 Yzermania

Yzermania

In it to win it like Yzerman.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:22 PM

so you guys are bitching about the last 2 mins of the game? what about the other 58 mins they played and had the opportunity to play good and score goals?

agreed regardless whos in net the defense is letting in 4+ goals a game almost all of december. this is no way to win games unless we have hossa and datsyuk in our lineup

if the wings played solid defense, and let in 2 goals they could win every game cause the scoring is there

i miss the hoss. He sure was fun to watch play.

#463 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:26 PM

defense is how you win cups.

also datsyuk is not why we are losing games, we were losing games with him. defense please

Edited by brett, 23 December 2010 - 11:38 PM.

#464 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:56 PM

Wings just need to clear the screens and get down to block shots. So many fewer goals would be going in. I miss Lilja for that reason alone.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#465 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:03 AM

Could I get some more Howie and less Ozzie, please?

Oh the guy who let in four goals the night before?

Goalies aren't the issue. Howard is no different than Ozzie right now.

Edited by GoWings1905, 24 December 2010 - 12:03 AM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#466 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:11 AM

"It's unfortunate for (Ozzie) we haven't been able to get him the win, but he's in the battle, too. We're all in it together.''

http://www.mlive.com...s_short_as.html

#467 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:32 AM

Missed the game, but I can't be the only one making the connection between McCrimmon and the total lack of defense ever since he came here? In my mind that's the only reason world-class defensemen like Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall and Stuart can so often put in great individual efforts and still come up short.

Plus, Howard is looking very average. I hope Ozzie at least played well to justify him getting more starts.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#468 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:52 AM

I hope Ozzie at least played well to justify him getting more starts.

Not according to this guy:

Chris Osgood. I'm saving it for last because this is a little painful for me. Chris, I have one message for you: I'm done. I'm done defending you. I can't do it anymore. Consider me an anti-Ozzie, Osbadite, whatever they are called. I can't take the fact I have no confidence in your ability to stop a puck anymore. I hate feeling like every slapshot from the boards has a good chance of going in. It makes me physically ill seeing you flop around in the crease and seeing your arm outstretched after the puck has already missed the net. But most of all, I hate the fact that every single game, you seem to give up a goal that a) should be stopped, and b) is scored at a time where a big save would ensure a Wing win. Tonight it was the third goal. The first one was screened: I get that. The second one was tipped in off Kronwall's leg: I can see how you missed that. The fourth one was a sick move that fooled you: happens to the best of them. But that third goal was a killer, and it was one you should have stopped. The Wings were only down 2-1, they had just finished killing a penalty, and you had a chance to get out of the first period (a period in which the team played like garbage) only down one goal, and you give up a goal like that: a slap shot from the boards with minimal screening. I want you to get 400 wins, and I want it to happen soon, because, as much as it kills me to say this: you're done. You no longer are an asset to this team on a nightly basis, and if you don't stop this "soft goal" crap, we are going to have no choice but to play Jimmy Howard every single game, and his arms will fall off by the time we get to the playoffs. Maybe I'm being overly harsh on you because you're the goalie, but I just can't do it anymore: you've hurt me too many times. I wish you nothing but success as you go for 400, and I will recognize the feat if/when you do it (see, I'm not even confident enough in you to say you WILL get it). But I need to see you WIN a game for the Wings, not have them win in spite of you. If you're pro-Osgood and you disagree, bring it in the comments. I just can't do it anymore.

http://www.wingingit...periods-blues-4

#469 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:57 AM

I usually like "Winging It In Motown", but I came across that earlier and couldn't disagree more.

Jimmy Howard has been no better than Chris Osgood since the Red Wings struggles began. This team will improve when they decide to give a damn in their own zone again.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#470 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:57 AM

Not according to this guy:

I hate bloggers.

Posted Image

#471 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:09 AM

I guess the moral of the story is, stop giving up four goals every single night.

Agreed.

When you give up four goals, the problem is bigger than losing Datsyuk.

#472 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:30 AM

i liked how loud the blues fans were

#473 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:51 AM

I hate bloggers.

Osgood hasn't played well since the Wings lost Game 7 to Pittsburgh. Last season he had some of the worst stats any goalie has had in the past 10 years. This year, he's looking the same. Osgood is not a competent back-up.

#474 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:13 AM

well at the start of the month you guys were saying you would be happy with the wings playing .500 hockey.
Posted Image

#475 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:30 AM

The Wings are only 6 points from 9th in the West. If the Wings go .500% for the next month, we'll be out of a play-off spot.

Edited by TheOwl, 24 December 2010 - 02:30 AM.

#476 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:32 AM

The Wings are only 6 points from 9th in the West. If the Wings go .500% for the next month, we'll be out of a play-off spot.

But if everyone plays 500 we're legit!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#477 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:34 AM

Osgood hasn't played well since the Wings lost Game 7 to Pittsburgh. Last season he had some of the worst stats any goalie has had in the past 10 years. This year, he's looking the same. Osgood is not a competent back-up.

And Howard has been lighting up the rink with his play?

And the defense has been competent?

Posted Image

#478 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:23 AM

If Osgood is not a competent back-up then you must think Howard is not a competent starter.

#479 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:42 AM

He barely touched him!!! I haven't seen diving that bad since the last time I watched International soccer.

COME ON PK!

If you hook/hold/etc. another player, it's a penalty whether they dive or not. Diving is a penalty in its own right, and should be called much more often, but if a player dives on a legit penalty it does not negate the existence of the original penalty.

This year, he's looking the same. Osgood is not a competent back-up.

Osgood has been fine, and has outplayed Howard for the past month or more.

Could I get some more Howie and less Ozzie, please?

Not the way Howard and Ozzie have been playing, respectively. At this rate, it'll probably be the reverse.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#480 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:09 AM

Lidstrom a minus player for the season, world is upside down... or maybe the age finally caught up with him.. probably a combination of both age and team can't play defense anymore.