• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
#19=Legend

How do you think the Wings will do without Dats?

Rate this topic

Daily Debate: Overtime

Burnside and LeBrun also weigh in on Pavel Datsyuk's injury:

Burnside: The Detroit Red Wings beat Western Conference rivals the Vancouver Canucks in overtime Wednesday night but lost Hart Trophy hopeful Pavel Datsyuk to a broken hand. Tough for the Wings, but if there's a team that can swallow that kind of loss, it is Detroit.

LeBrun: Scotty, Datsyuk is out four weeks and that's as big as it gets, a Hart Trophy candidate this season and a player that does it all for the Wings. Yes, they've got the depth and veteran experience to overcome, but let's not sugarcoat it -- you just don't replace his minutes.

"It's a big loss. He's one of the premier forwards in the NHL and he was playing real well," Wings GM Ken Holland told me this morning. "Not one player can replace him, but as a group, we need everyone to chip in and step up in their own way. I thought last night in the third period was a good example. Henrik Zetterberg was huge and other players also dug deep for us."

Red Wings coach Mike Babcock did provide some good news this morning, telling me that doctors told Datsyuk he can still train while he's out of the lineup, so he won't fall out of shape over the next four weeks.

Hopefully the Wings can avoid further injuries. They don't want to duplicate last season, when nearly half the roster went down and they spent most of the season in survival mode, which wore them down come playoff time.

if he's out until jan 22, that'll be 15 games. Just like our december stretch, its basically a game every other night and they have 4 back to backs (including last night/tonights).

they have games the 10th and 14th of january, so thats 3 days of rest between those. hope for the best.

And as far as Z goes, he has a lot of points, but most are assists on Datsyuk's goals. He needs to be the one scoring now.

Not statistically accurate. Dats has 12 goals, Z has 24 assists. Even if he assisted every Dats goal (which he hasn't), that's still only half of his assists.

He also has the same amount of goals as Dats after last night.

Just FYI.

The Wings should have no trouble going 6:4:2 or something without Dats. But on paper, the Wings should still be winning most games. I mean, Hudler and Flipulla aren't performing to even half their potentials.

Guest mindfly

Tally so far:

0-1-0

Yep, they were without datsyuk for 2 periods against the canucks though, should you count that or not?

1-1-0 or 0-1-0...

Yep, they were without datsyuk for 2 periods against the canucks though, should you count that or not?

1-1-0 or 0-1-0...

I think I'm not counting the Vancouver game since he suited up and skated for a period. I also think that when a player goes down mid-game that it acts as more of a motivator to the team than it does hinder them. It doesn't give them any time to realize how much he does for the team but simply gives them that "let's win it for Pav" kind of attitude (I hope).

Words could not express my concern/fear if I sat beside Pav in the dressing room and didn't see him getting ready on game days with the rest of the team. You know every guy in there is feeling the heat now.

0-1-0

Right now the Wings are doing okay with offense, but if they can't get their defense locked down, then they're really going to miss Dats even more.

The Wings are 15th overall in goals against and 14th in PK. Not terrible, but needs to improve if they want to stay near the top of the league. And I'm guessing that stat is moving in the wrong direction. They've given up 4 goals in each of their last 4 games. It's obviously hard to win that way.

If they get back to team defense and get some solid goaltending, they'll be fine.

Not statistically accurate. Dats has 12 goals, Z has 24 assists. Even if he assisted every Dats goal (which he hasn't), that's still only half of his assists.

He also has the same amount of goals as Dats after last night.

Just FYI.

It's weird how Z gets less credit than Dats because it doesn't "look" like he's playing well out there. But after last nights game he has one less assist and the same number of goals.

No one is going to look as impressive as Datsyuk on the ice. He can make three guys look stupid, but it may not lead to any points. Based on that, I think it feels like Dats has a lot more points than Zetterberg, but their stats are nearly identical.

Zetterberg's goals tend to be ugly gritty goals, but they still win games.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I do not understand why we are arguing about our 2 best forwards; both are great players who get it done when it all comes down. Yes Datsyuk has been the best player for the Wings all season without a doubt, but Hank has still been very solid and important for the Wings too. Datsyuk is playing better because he puts up more points, he hussels back on the backcheck faster than anyone and he is the one player on the Wings who we could count on to show up every night to give 100% effort.

Hank has had quite a few off nights this season. For example, he would go 2 or 3 games without a point and then rack up 3 or 4 points in game where the wings are dominating. Pavs points have been much more consistant throughout the season, which goes back to my point that he is the one player who shows up every game. But to say Hank has not been good is not fair, and obvsiouly not true. Take the Calgary game, Wings were down a goal and Pavs deked through 3 guys, got the puck to Hank who buried it to tie the game (yah Pavs made it happen but so did Hank with the finish)

Bottom line, Pavs will undoubtebly be missed but this team has enough depth that they should be able to win 65% of their games without Pavs. The only concern I have right now is Babcock insisting to keep these D pairings... does he not seee the terrible GA lately?? These pairings suck big time and for success Babs has to change them up. Also, Ozzie and Howie need to start a constant rotation for them to kind of compete with one another kind of like Dom and Ozzie did in 2007/08

I don't understand how people are saying Z hasn't been performing offensively this year at the same time they praise Datsyuk. The two of them have almost identical numbers offensively.

Like I had said earlier, I think because Dats has the crazy moves, he gets more attention and it seems like his production is better. Honestly they've been nearly identical the last couple seasons.

People were giving Z grief towards the end of last regular season when he had the same number of points as Datsyuk, and in fewer games. He just doesn't look as impressive our there I guess, so doesn't get credit for production.

Or maybe it's a holdover from the 09 season when Dats had great numbers and Z was average? I'm honestly not sure.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I love what I saw in the paper this morning. Mike Babcock said he talked to Pasha and the first thing Pasha said was "I'm sorry." He thought he had to apologize for getting hurt? Nothing to apologize for, honey...s*** happens. Just get well.

Babcock said Pasha will probably take a week's vacation in Florida and come back rested and raring to go. It will be funny to see him with a tan. :lol:

The thing I have a problem with Z this year is the turnovers. He gains the zone and tries to make a stupid pass and it ends up on the opposing teams stick. Other than that I think he has been offensively as hes averaging over a PPG right now, just wish he would gain a point every game instead of in bunches.

They'll struggle some, but I don't think they'll tailspin. Catch-22 with the injury right now. Thankfully it doesn't look too severe, but stinks that it came at a time when the schedule is really difficult, a lot of back-to-back games, etc.

If it were last year with so many injuries, I think it'd be a big concern, but even though the Wings have struggled lately, they are still sitting well in the division/conference, with some cushion to goof up here and there (not that I am advocating for that to happen obviously).

Guest Stolberg

The thing I have a problem with Z this year is the turnovers. He gains the zone and tries to make a stupid pass and it ends up on the opposing teams stick. Other than that I think he has been offensively as hes averaging over a PPG right now, just wish he would gain a point every game instead of in bunches.

gains the zone, goes to the left circle, curls around looking for someone to pass to

works a fourth of the time maybe

gains the zone, goes to the left circle, curls around looking for someone to pass to

works a fourth of the time maybe

One thing to consider about his efforts though is that he does consistently gain the zone. Yet for all the talk of losing 15 pounds or whatever to get 'faster' it hasn't worked. I Think Emma has just been encouraging him to play less xbox lately.

People seem to forget that Dats is very guilty of sloppy, mushy passes that get picked off a lot. Maybe not as many as Hank these days but still... he's treated like the pope around here.

My prediction is 7-5-1. If they win 7 they are a legitimate contender, like they were in the '09 playoffs with only half a Datsyuk.

As for the "Zetterberg has not been performing offensively like he should" he is only 3 points behind Datsyuk. He is on pace for about 90 points. Datsyuk's on course for 97. Not very far apart. Yet Datsyuk is having some kind of wonderful season (which compares offensively to prior seasons he has had) and Z is disappointing offensively despite his pace for a career season. Z has carried the team for stretches during the first half, yet still gets no credit. Maybe it's because he isn't flashy?

I think that Zetterberg is expected to score more goals around here. He is on pace for 28 goals this year when he has already had 41, 39, 33, and 31 goal seasons. Those 4 years he never played 82 games, missing an average of 9 games per year. If he misses 9 games this year, then he is on pace for only 25 goals.

the worst part of datsyuk being injured is that hudler won't be a healthy scratch until dats is back. i say send hudler to GR thru waivers and give tatar a shot.

I think that Hudler will step up with Datsyuk out. He should get a lot more time on the top 2.

Right now the Wings are doing okay with offense, but if they can't get their defense locked down, then they're really going to miss Dats even more.

The Wings are 15th overall in goals against and 14th in PK. Not terrible, but needs to improve if they want to stay near the top of the league. And I'm guessing that stat is moving in the wrong direction. They've given up 4 goals in each of their last 4 games. It's obviously hard to win that way.

If they get back to team defense and get some solid goaltending, they'll be fine.

It's weird how Z gets less credit than Dats because it doesn't "look" like he's playing well out there. But after last nights game he has one less assist and the same number of goals.

No one is going to look as impressive as Datsyuk on the ice. He can make three guys look stupid, but it may not lead to any points. Based on that, I think it feels like Dats has a lot more points than Zetterberg, but their stats are nearly identical.

Zetterberg's goals tend to be ugly gritty goals, but they still win games.

Team defense is not as good as in previous years, as evident by Lidstrom's -1!

I don't understand how people are saying Z hasn't been performing offensively this year at the same time they praise Datsyuk. The two of them have almost identical numbers offensively.

Again, Zetterberg is not on pace for nearly as many goals this year as previous seasons.

I understand that Dats is the superstar of the Wings, and he does just about everything for the team! But...... if we are going to sit here and throw the season away because the loss of one player, then we had no chance to begin with. I personally think this injury is good for the Wings! ADVERSITY! Right now we have too many players out there simply skating around and doing nothing, I don't think I have to mention any names. I think this may be a step up or step aside thing now. I expect to see Mule, Z, Flipper to step up huge, my dark horse is Bert and Eaves.

I fully expect this team to pick it up after Christmas, no one is going to feel sorry for us. These guys need to hit the ice with a chip on their shoulders and pick it up, that includes both Goalies, these soft ass goals need to stop (yes, pun inteneded).

Time to pick up the play and most importantly, PLAY REDWING HOCKEY DAMMIT!!!!

LETS GO WINGS!!!!