• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nev

So who remembers the 85-86 season?

Rate this topic

Ironically, this was my first year of conscious memory watching hockey and my first memory going to a game... I was 3 going on 4 this season and was just starting to grasp the concept of the game... the following years weren't too hot either, but it was kinda cool watching them gradually progress and get better and better from bottom dwellers through my life...

Your memory isn't failing. Steffan was our go to guy in goal that year. Everything that would go to him, became a goal. Had a lot of pucks put behind him that year.

The team was in transition the whole year. From Harry Neale being fired half way through the season, to Brad Park taking over the job and completely losing control of the team, it was a great one. The only thing that kept me going to games was for the fighting, and, to see some of the other teams great players. After Neale got the door the attitude became if you can't beat them, Beat Them Up. Kocur had several multi-fight games and even a few "fight-tricks" if I recall. Probert got called up about half way through the season, and, well, the legend was born. Warren Young, Randy Ladouceur, Reed Larson, everyone got their hands dirty. The highlight had to be a bench clearer at Maple Leaf Gardens near the end of a game that probably had 8 fights to that point. I don't even remember if we won or lost, but it was a 4+ hour game. Probert received the first of his many suspensions for a headbutt on Bob McGill during the bench clearer. I don't know if it was his longest fight ever, but they danced for what seemed like 5 minutes or so before Bobby put him down with the headbutt. It made the trip to Toronto worth a million bucks. Thankfully the exchange rate was a little bit more friendly than that.

Other memories, The Boards were white, as was the ice. Unless blood was spilled that is. None of the over commercialization that litters the arenas today. The youth movement was on as we brought in all the youngsters that had been drafted over the past few years. We said good bye to Reed Larson, Our stud D man of the day. Ron Duguay, a much loved player at the time. Both were trade deadline aquisitions for playoff bound teams. At the end of the season, we lost our Captain, Danny Gare to free agency, and thus was born the legend of "The Captain". And attendance was all over the place, from a low of, I'm estimating, 6000, to sold out games. It all depended on who was on that nights fight card.

Oh yeah, one last transition to recall. Colin Campbell, (yeah that guy), made the transition from hard nosed blueliner to assistant coach. What a great year it was. I'm glad we've come a long way from there, I don't know if I could go back.

Hey, Nice post. I got jumped on in another thread..maybe my post was over the top, maybe the kids a jerk but anyways....

I have an old Bruise brothers hockey fights vhs tape from the 80's, highlight maybe being the Maguire pounding Yzerman/ Probie pounding Maguire video...now that crowd was insane. Doesn't have Kocur caving in Dalgaro's face...different times . cheers.