• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Cleary out 4 weeks w/fractured ankle

Rate this topic

well last year was zetterberg, franzen, filppula, cleary, and kronwall.

Nah, those guys out are no big riff, right? Only 2 leading scorers, 2 2-way players, an offensive defenseman. while cleary didnt play well last year, he can still put the puck in the net. an entire power play unit not in the game? Pffttttt, who needs 'em.

they overcame it. 2 leading scoreres out isnt going to be THAT detrimental. sure it'll suck, but oh well.

I wish i was as optimistic as you are.

This is some news to wake up too.

Even if no other forward gets injured for the next month, we'll still have a tough time of it. The West is so close, that I wouldn't be surprised to see us out of the playoff picture by the end of January.

Time to ramp up the defensive play, since our firepower has taken a big hit.

Meanwhile, Hudler continues to be injury free. <_<

******* hell, Stuart. Another one of those "Hey I'm Brad Stuart and I'm going to take a one-timer for no good ******* reason" shots that never do anything good.

Or, just to play devils advocate, you could say it was a "Hey I'm Dan Cleary and I'm going to jump with a 100mph puck coming at me for no good reason knowing I have no skate guards on and we are already up 4 (or 3?) nothing and have the game in hand" plays.

Edited by sleepwalker

I wish i was as optimistic as you are.

its pure entertainment, man. athletes are entertainers.

im not a player, coach, manager, etc. I watch the games (sports in general) to be entertained. If i start popping blood vessels in my neck cuz the wings are losing, i would have serious issues (unless im betting serious money on them, which i dont).

:( That's a real shame beause he's picked up his play considerably since the playoffs. Smoother stride, etc. I don't think he's played this well since junior.

That kinda thing happens when you don't go near the front of the net or the corners. :(

Oh for....

I thought he would be fine, since he went back out after the initial puck hit. Damn.

Insert standard commentary about the team overcoming adversity and guys needing to step up here. Meanwhile, I'll be over in the corner trying to devise a ritual to appease the hockey gods before they decide to poke someone else.

Best player, and second best player both gone 4 weeks. f*** that, Danny was well on his way to his best season ever too. Never fails

I know, what the hell did the Red Wings do to deserve these injuries the past two years? Cleary worked so hard to come back strong this season and I think it's fair to say he's been the best forward after Pavel to this point. I hope he can pick up where he left off, but his speed looked greatly improved this season and I wonder what lingering effects an ankle injury will have.

The Red Wings gotta tread water for the next month or so and make a big push down the stretch again. Are the Wild on the schedule like 12 times?

I see a lot of negativity in this thread. I'm not surprised, but I think it's a little silly.

Sure, we lost Cleary, who just happens to be our best offensive player right now. You know who's overdue to step up and make s*** happen? Franzen. Filppula. Hudler. Bertuzzi. etc.

You guys remember last year when we had a lot more players than this out of our lineup? Sure we lost some games, but we had other players step in and play a bigger role on the team. To be honest, I'm totally fine with some of the aforementioned players above not really performing to their potential (or at least expected potential around here), as long as they step up and perform when they know they need to.

You're also forgetting that regardless of not scoring a goal yet this season, Rafalski has 23 assists with a +9. He's helping others score. Remember last season when Lidstrom was looking a little old? He's looking like he's about 25 right now.

All we really need is Filppula to shoot the puck more. The kid's got a decent enough shot that he would score a lot more often if he would just shoot the puck more. Zetterberg and Cleary's goals last night proved that you can do wonders if you catch a goaltender off their guard.

When Datsyuk and Cleary come back, we might not be still #1 in the West and #3 overall, but we won't be in the basement. The West is tight, but we're also a very deep team with a lot of players that showed last year, even with a depleted roster, they could make s*** happen when it mattered.

Also, if Cleary doesn't come back with some ******* ankle guards, I'm going to look him up and send him some myself.

Also, if Cleary doesn't come back with some ******* ankle guards, I'm going to look him up and send him some myself.

Word. Seems that most players start using them after a broken foot or ankle anyways. Sucks thats what it takes to get them to start wearing them though.

its pure entertainment, man. athletes are entertainers.

im not a player, coach, manager, etc. I watch the games (sports in general) to be entertained. If i start popping blood vessels in my neck cuz the wings are losing, i would have serious issues (unless im betting serious money on them, which i dont).

Good point.

It's one that all of us here (some more than others) could use reminding of.

If it's not fun to watch, why do it?

This is some news to wake up too.

Even if no other forward gets injured for the next month, we'll still have a tough time of it. The West is so close, that I wouldn't be surprised to see us out of the playoff picture by the end of January.

Really, now?

I highly doubt Detroit is going to go .500 for the next month. And even so Detroit has shown they can go on a tear towards the end of the year and get back into the picture.

I'm not worried.

Hard to get injured when you float all the time.

Good point.

It's one that all of us here (some more than others) could use reminding of.

If it's not fun to watch, why do it?

Sure the fun factor is there for entertainment for viewing, but watching them lose isn't fun. If the Wings collapsed because of the injuries and finished 9th place i'm sure people that said that it's in good 'fun' wouldn't be in 'fun' mode, especially if you show passion for your team. Im not out of control like some people on this site when it comes to losing, but I don't exactly find it entertaining when they lose or play poorly because of the injuries.

Edited by darkmanx

Or, just to play devils advocate, you could say it was a "Hey I'm Dan Cleary and I'm going to jump with a 100mph puck coming at me for no good reason knowing I have no skate guards on and we are already up 4 (or 3?) nothing and have the game in hand" plays.

I think Cleary expected Stuart to realize there were bodies in front and could keep the puck close to the ice.

Four weeks, my ass.

I broke my ankle last summer playing softball and I was off work 7 weeks.

I had a non-displaced fracture as well. It got 2 weeks of solid cast, 2 weeks of boot (non-weight bearing), 2 weeks of weight bearing boot and then a week of this lace up ankle hitch thing to make sure I could stand on it unsupported. I continued to wear the hitch for probably an additional month for support. To this day, there are days when the fracture will ache.

All that and I'm not a professional hockey player trying to push off, stop/start, turn, etc..

I gotta see this.

Oh Christ. Here we go with the "I knew somebody who broke his ankle once and died from it". Did you break it in the same place as Clearly? Did you have top notch sports doctors and trainers? Were you the same age as Cleary? Were you in top notch physical condition?

Spare us the comparisons

Sure the fun factor is there for entertainment for viewing, but watching them lose isn't fun. If the Wings collapsed because of the injuries and finished 9th place i'm sure people that said that it's in good 'fun' wouldn't be in 'fun' mode, especially if you show passion for your team. Im not out of control like some people on this site when it comes to losing, but I don't exactly find it entertaining when they lose or play poorly because of the injuries.

I watch the lions every Sunday (and one Thursday) yet they suck. As a fan, im there every game, good and bad. Anything can happen

I watch the lions every Sunday (and one Thursday) yet they suck. As a fan, im there every game, good and bad. Anything can happen

I dont think youll have to worry about them being bad for much longer, theyre finally turning a corner here :)