• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:08 AM

Where's ma boy Tardif at...shame he's not a winger.

Why wouldn't it have been a useless winger like Miller or Hudler instead of Cleary?

Also, Mursak had a good start to the season but these last few weeks he's been very quiet. Especially last night...he was hard to notice. At least Mursak is a bit scrappy.

Edited by uk_redwing, 27 December 2010 - 10:19 AM.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#62 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:51 AM

I'm not really sure why everyone keeps blaming Stuart, he was doing what we want all of the Wings to do - try to get the puck to the net. It's not like Cleary was just standing there, he was in motion as Stuart hit the puck he wouldn't have been able to predict that it would have hit him in the ankle.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#63 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:52 AM

We dodged the injury bug for as long as we could...who's next I wonder?
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#64 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:07 AM

Fiesty little guy is Jan:

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#65 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:08 AM

We dodged the injury bug for as long as we could...who's next I wonder?

Hank's gonna get a paper cut reading the newspaper, develop an infection, and have his whole hand amputated.

The way our luck is going right now, I'd be shocked if it didn't happen like that. <_<

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#66 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:08 AM

I'm not really sure why everyone keeps blaming Stuart, he was doing what we want all of the Wings to do - try to get the puck to the net. It's not like Cleary was just standing there, he was in motion as Stuart hit the puck he wouldn't have been able to predict that it would have hit him in the ankle.

Didn't wings already have a 3-0 lead at the time and stuart clearly saw cleary standing pretty close, why not hesitate for a sec or just shoot the puck deep behind the net for the other player...I just think he should have thought an extra second or two.

#67 Creasemonkey

Creasemonkey

Goaltender for Hire

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:25 AM

Didn't wings already have a 3-0 lead at the time and stuart clearly saw cleary standing pretty close, why not hesitate for a sec or just shoot the puck deep behind the net for the other player...I just think he should have thought an extra second or two.

Plenty of people on earth are not very good at playing hockey, but you aren't even good at watching it. Traffic in front, shots from the blueline, hockey 101. Ask Mike Babcock if he wants the D to hesitate, even when you're up 3-0. You'll get the death stare.

#68 Cheveldae32

Cheveldae32

OFD

• Gold Booster
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:28 AM

This is a perfect example of how little you understand the sport, go back and watch the tape. Its an accident, nothing more nothing less. I'm surprised Cleary isn't getting blamed for his own injury since he jumped, if he would left his skate on the ice it wouldn't have happened either......Freak accident, we'll be fine.

*and it was 4-0 when this happened...it had been for quite some time.

Edited by Cheveldae32, 27 December 2010 - 11:31 AM.

#69 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:31 AM

This is a perfect example of how little you understand the sport, go back and watch the tape. Its an accident, nothing more nothing less. I'm surprised Cleary isn't getting blamed for his own injury since he jumped, if he would left his skte on the ice it wouldn't have happened either......Freak accident, we'll be fine.

Cleary wasn't standing in front of the net he was in the shooting lane facing stuart with his side, it's pretty foolish to take a hard slapper in that situation.

#70 Cheveldae32

Cheveldae32

OFD

• Gold Booster
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

Cleary wasn't standing in front of the net he was in the shooting lane facing stuart with his side, it's pretty foolish to take a hard slapper in that situation.

Yes, he skated from Stu's right to left, you can't expect guys to hold off on taking a shot everytime a player is near their shooting lane. Heck you often see plays just like this where the guy in Cleary's position creates a great screen, this time he got hit. Sucks yes, but this is where our young boys get their chances.

#71 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:38 AM

Yes, he skated from Stu's right to left, you can't expect guys to hold off on taking a shot everytime a player is near their shooting lane. Heck you often see plays just like this where the guy in Cleary's position creates a great screen, this time he got hit. Sucks yes, but this is where our young boys get their chances.

He wasn't facing stuart so he couldn't protect himself if you face the shooter in front of the net only a shot to the face can injure you, the protection is non-existent on the side of the skates but plenty on the front backed up with the leg protection.

#72 Cheveldae32

Cheveldae32

OFD

• Gold Booster
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:42 AM

He wasn't facing stuart so he couldn't protect himself if you face the shooter in front of the net only a shot to the face can injure you, the protection is non-existent on the side of the skates but plenty on the front backed up with the leg protection.

Yes and when Stu saw this moment of vulnerability he seized it by intentionally hitting Cleary since he is jealous of Dan's recent success. I didn't realize what really happened til just now....

#73 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:52 AM

Of course, it's our leading goal scorer, and our leading scorer, out simultaneously.

That's a bit of a sting.

well last year was zetterberg, franzen, filppula, cleary, and kronwall.

Nah, those guys out are no big riff, right? Only 2 leading scorers, 2 2-way players, an offensive defenseman. while cleary didnt play well last year, he can still put the puck in the net. an entire power play unit not in the game? Pffttttt, who needs 'em.

they overcame it. 2 leading scoreres out isnt going to be THAT detrimental. sure it'll suck, but oh well.

#74 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:00 PM

Maltby out of retirement?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#75 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:23 PM

I don't think blaming either player is correct in the scenario. You cannot ask Stuart to hesitate on a shot in order to protect Cleary- do you think coach would have been happy? Also, Cleary clearly jumped to avoid the shot. Therefore, he exposed his feet when the original shot would have likely hit his breezers. Neither player is at fault here.

It's upsetting to see Cleary go down, but I'm excited to see what Mursak can bring. I would love to see him on a line with Abby (after a few games on the fourth likely) due to their history together in GR.

#76 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:40 PM

well last year was zetterberg, franzen, filppula, cleary, and kronwall.

Nah, those guys out are no big riff, right? Only 2 leading scorers, 2 2-way players, an offensive defenseman. while cleary didnt play well last year, he can still put the puck in the net. an entire power play unit not in the game? Pffttttt, who needs 'em.

they overcame it. 2 leading scoreres out isnt going to be THAT detrimental. sure it'll suck, but oh well.

I wish i was as optimistic as you are.

#77 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,049 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:58 PM

This is some news to wake up too.

Even if no other forward gets injured for the next month, we'll still have a tough time of it. The West is so close, that I wouldn't be surprised to see us out of the playoff picture by the end of January.

Time to ramp up the defensive play, since our firepower has taken a big hit.

Meanwhile, Hudler continues to be injury free. <_<
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#78 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

******* hell, Stuart. Another one of those "Hey I'm Brad Stuart and I'm going to take a one-timer for no goodf****** reason" shots that never do anything good.

Or, just to play devils advocate, you could say it was a "Hey I'm Dan Cleary and I'm going to jump with a 100mph puck coming at me for no good reason knowing I have no skate guards on and we are already up 4 (or 3?) nothing and have the game in hand" plays.

Edited by sleepwalker, 27 December 2010 - 01:08 PM.

#79 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

Posted Image

"What a pisser."

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#80 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:21 PM

I wish i was as optimistic as you are.

its pure entertainment, man. athletes are entertainers.

im not a player, coach, manager, etc. I watch the games (sports in general) to be entertained. If i start popping blood vessels in my neck cuz the wings are losing, i would have serious issues (unless im betting serious money on them, which i dont).