• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

newfy

Mursak Expectations

Rate this topic

Mursak has 23 points in 33 games with GR this season. When the team was playing well he was playing at ppg pace. He kills penalties, can throw a hit, has blazing speed and is pretty feisty actually. He is basically a Helm with hands and a scoring touch style wise.

So I'm wondering what everyone here is expecting from him durign his stint with the big club.

I think he will actually put up some points and might get some pk time as well depending on the game. Babcock will probably ease him in tonight but as his stint goes on he will get some more responsibility.

I have a feeling this call up is going to be the last we see of Hudler and Mursak might end up playing with the team (especially come playoff time if Hudler is still around).

In the future I think he'll be good for around 50-60ish points, strong PK and some decent physical play.

What do you guys think?

I would just like to see that he can play in the NHL, so I'm not putting any expectations on point totals. From what I've seen from him, I'd be surprised if he turned into a 50-60 point guy. I'm thinking more of a 20-40 point 3rd/4th liner.

I think eventually Mursak will develop into, at the very least, a 20-20 type player who kills penalties and plays physical. He's got huge upside. His AHL numbers are good, but they don't reflect his true talent. He's got great hands, a good shot, and he goes hard to the net.

I expect he'll play a tick under 8 minutes tonight on debut, but I think he'll gain more faith from Babcock while he's up. If he impresses enough, I wouldn't rule out Mursak playing in the playoffs.

I like him, though I don't know if I'd say 50+ points is in his future. I think in the future he could find a real home in the bottom 6 with Helm, Abby, and Eaves.

For now, I'm not expecting much or really anything point-wise. I'll be satisfied with high energy and speed, maybe a little physical play and responsible defense with few rookie mistakes. He's had plenty of time with GR so he should be able to manage that much. Any scoring will be a bonus.

I would just like to see that he can play in the NHL, so I'm not putting any expectations on point totals. From what I've seen from him, I'd be surprised if he turned into a 50-60 point guy. I'm thinking more of a 20-40 point 3rd/4th liner.

Really? From what I've seen I think he could easily put up over 20 points playing in our bottom 6 this season. I think he should be able to at least put up 40 points in his career.

Look at all the breakaways and chances Helm gets with his speed. Mursak will get those chances but he can bury as well.

Really? From what I've seen I think he could easily put up over 20 points playing in our bottom 6 this season. I think he should be able to at least put up 40 points in his career.

Look at all the breakaways and chances Helm gets with his speed. Mursak will get those chances but he can bury as well.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him put up 50 points in the NHL, but I'm not going to expect it. It's his third year in the AHL and he's almost 23 and really hasn't put up big numbers down there. The only one in GR that I expect big things from is Tatar. He just turned 20, leads the team in points and is top 10 in the AHL in +/-.

Do we know of any cases where a player increased their ppg production going from the AHL to the NHL?

Bryan Bickell's doing that as we speak.

I'm sure if I did a bit of research I could uncover a few. Lets not forget that the Griffins have been pretty awful in seasons gone, and Fraser has no idea with line combinations. Mursak's numbers don't reflect his potential.

I can add a little info on this subject. Jan played with the Saginaw Spirit in juniors. Jan has great speed and is not afraid to hit. Rumors floating back to Saginaw is that he really feels more comfortable with North American hockey (Know the people that housed him in Saginaw). Jan played on a line in Saginaw with Tom Pyatt. However when Tom moved on the next year, Jan looked lost without anyone to get him the puck. So the bottom line is if he can get the space and get moving, he will be able to put up points. Put he will need a center with him to get him so passes.

He looked good tonight. Played with confidence and contributed positively on that backcheck in the first, as well as leading to a powerplay opp for the Wings. I look forward to seeing this kid more often.

How insanely quick did he look when racing on the backcheck to that puck? :scared:

He played well I thought. He looked the best in the 3rd, maybe adjusting to the pace of the NHL game. He had 2 really good shifts in the 3rd, and on one play he was right on the doorstep of the goalie for Miller's shot, and if a rebound had fallen he would've had a goal.

Good start.

For an NHL debut Mursak looked solid out there. Babcock must like him since he was on the third line to start the game. His speed was definitely noticeable and he looked solid in the corners for a young guy.

Overall good game for the young gun, 7 minutes played. I think this figure will go up eventually after he gets more accustomed to the speed and maybe even gets some PK time

Jan was never stationary in the offensive zone unless he found a soft spot between coverages, put him on the wing with Filppula and I bet they would rack up the point. Mursak in his first game already looks way better than Miller.

So the bottom line is if he can get the space and get moving, he will be able to put up points. Put he will need a center with him to get him so passes.

We seriously need to see a race between Filppula, Helm and Mursak. Someone pass on the message to Babs. Seriously.

He just needs flip then. From the sounds of it, they would be an amazing match.

My God Mursak has got some wheels. He may be faster than Helm. Last night he just blew right past a Colorado player to get to the puck.

I like his intensity. Played well for his first NHL game and though he didn't get a point I can easily see him getting 3-4 points or so in his stint up here, which is nothing to sneeze at from a call-up. He seems perfect for a speedy energy line, and could produce with the chances they could force.

Mursak has 23 points in 33 games with GR this season. When the team was playing well he was playing at ppg pace. He kills penalties, can throw a hit, has blazing speed and is pretty feisty actually. He is basically a Helm with hands and a scoring touch style wise.

So I'm wondering what everyone here is expecting from him durign his stint with the big club.

I think he will actually put up some points and might get some pk time as well depending on the game. Babcock will probably ease him in tonight but as his stint goes on he will get some more responsibility.

I have a feeling this call up is going to be the last we see of Hudler and Mursak might end up playing with the team (especially come playoff time if Hudler is still around).

In the future I think he'll be good for around 50-60ish points, strong PK and some decent physical play.

What do you guys think?

Wings like depth. They didn't like it when they got to the Conference Finals in 07, only to get 3 top defensemen injured. When either Cleary or Datsyuk get back, Mursak will go back to GR, to get more ice time. If they need him in the playoffs fine, but they won't trade Hudler, just to get Mursak time in the playoffs.

FRIENDS AND COUNTRYMEN

From the time he played his first NHL game, on Oct. 6, 2006, until now, Anze Kopitar has been the first and only native of Slovenia to play in the NHL. Now that has changed.

On Monday morning, the Detroit Red Wings called up Jan Mursak, who was expected to be in the lineup for Monday's game. Mursak is five months younger than Kopitar and is a native of Maribor, which is roughly 115 miles from Kopitar's hometown of Jesenice.

Mursak was a sixth-round draft pick of the Red Wings in 2006, one year after the Kings selected Kopitar with the No. 11 overall pick in the 2005 draft. Mursak spent the previous two seasons in the American Hockey League.

``It's really nice to see,'' Kopitar said. ``He's been waiting for this for a long time, so I'm really happy for him. I'm happy for him personally, obviously, and for Slovenian hockey reasons. Hopefully there are more guys to come. I've said it all along. We have some more good young players, and hopefully they can make it, if not to the NHL but to put themselves in a position where they can have a good career and help our national team.''

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=547475