• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Congratulations Chris Osgood!

Rate this topic

That WAS weird. Ozzy gets the win in phenomenal fashion and they pan the camera to Babcock and he looks like Ozzy just scored an own goal to lose game 7 of the Stanley Cup. That man is INTENSE and unflappable when his game face is on.

The look on Babs face scared the crap out of me!

On another note, CONGRATS OZZY!!! Played a hell of a game and have had a hell of a career! You earned it!

pretty good article on Osgood.

http://www.thegoalieguild.com/2010/12/osgood/

Thank you for posting the link, Rick. As I read it, I just had to laugh. Because the reasons, and the exact same scenarios, (and I DO mean exact - beginning with that loss to the Sharks in '94, and Osgood weeping at his locker afterwards - that's what did it for ME, too), that "Justin" listed as his reasons for holding Oz as his personal favorite hockey player of all time, are the very same that have made Oz MY all-time favorite.

It's funny. It's not that Ozzie doesn't have his warts. He does. God KNOWS he does. He can be downright infuriatingly bad, at times. It's not that he's particularly skilled. He's not. It's not that he has this aura of invincibility. He doesn't.

It's that he has that one quality that NO amount of skill, or talent, or training, or experience, can EVER impart.

Heart. Heart, with a capital "H". He's got it. Loads of it. Always has. Always will.

And that commodity is more rare than, and something I would choose over, elite level talent. Every day of the week.

Edited by Outsider

Dont post here much, but I had to this time. Congrats on #400 Oz, and hope to see many more wins to come!!

F the haters. Osgood may not get his number in the rafters, but he will DEFINITELY make the hall. I don't see how anyone can doubt that. lol If Fuhr is in, Osgood will be.

Osgood:

400 career wins and counting

3 Stanley Cups(Starter for two)

2 Jennings

(One could argue Oz was robbed of the '96 Vezina)

Fuhr:

403 career wins

5 Stanley cups(Starter for four)

1 Vezina

1 Jennings

Last season was the only season Osgood finished with a losing record. Fuhr had at least 5.

I see no reason why he won't get in, even if it takes a bit.

Edited by Osgood=WIN!

“I’m happy to get that one in the past. Whatever number it ends up at now, I’m not really too concerned about it,” Osgood said. “I wouldn’t have wanted it to finish at 399. If it gets (much) higher than (400), then that’s great. If it doesn’t, I’m happy with that, too.”

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/12/red_wings_chris_osgood_not_wor.html

BULL... s***!

Deep down I'm sure he really wants to pass Sawchuk. As many of us on here do as well.

Who was it Hejduk that tried to make the pass? He had a better chance of shooting it in than trying to make the pass.

EDIT: I'm surprised Osgood isn't getting any attention for his accomplishment on TSN.

Because the media has always been the first to downplay Ozzie's accomplishments/play. They all talk about how he's shouldered only have a season game loads and low shot numbers while playing for a defensively stellar organization. They never talk about how he played 60+ games starting for the isles in 2002 while carrying them to the playoffs and losing a 7 games series to the Leafs. Or how he carried the Blues to the playoffs. Yet, somehow, the mention of New Jersey's heavily defensive minded system never comes into play when discussing Marty's statistics and accomplishments. Would I argue that Ozzie is better than Marty? Hell no, but I don't like how the media and fans are the first to bring up defense when Ozzie is talked about yet won't make mention of the system when it comes to Broduer.

Anyways, congrats Ozzie!

Who the hell is this clown?

This should be worth a lot of fun discussion.

The Hall of Fame needs to be reserved for the very best of the best to ever lace up skates. It is not the Hall of Very Good or the Hall of Longevity or the Hall of Milestone Numbers. Only the top players in the history of the game should be enshrined there.

I want you to honestly answer one question for me: Is Chris Osgood one of the best players to ever play the game?

It is a simple yes or no question without regard to his numbers or who else is in the Hall. Unless you're looking through Red Wing-colored glasses, you have to say no.

That is where Osgood falls short. The eyeball test. If you've seen him play, it is hard to say he is one of the best ever.

How often was he considered one of the best players among his contemporaries in the NHL? How often was he even considered one of the best players on his team? Heck, how often was it a 100-percent lock that he was even the best goalie on his team?

Osgood's accomplishment is truly amazing. After he retires he should have his number taken out of circulation by the Wings, and I am sure he will get elected into the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame. That is where it should end.

Enjoy Chris Osgood's career in Detroit for what it is and you won't be disappointed when the Hockey Hall of Fame does not come calling.

http://blog.mlive.com/ottoman-empire/2010/12/sorry_red_wing_fans_chris_osgood_does_not_belong_in_the_hall_of_fame.html

That was one of the worst opinionated blog entries I've ever read. He doesn't get in because he doesn't pass the eyeball test? I love how he leaves out any stat comparison to current hall of famers. If someone wants to argue that Ozzie shouldn't be in the Hall, that's fine. Just bring some substance to the table, not "he doesn't pass the eyeball test."

From Mlive:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/12/red_wings_tomas_tatar_scores_g.html

Chris Osgood said he received numerous congratulatory messages following his 400th win on Monday.

"My text numbers were ridiculous, got stuff from people I hadn't talked to in 10 years,'' Osgood said. "Scotty (Bowman) texted me, which still cracks me up."

Re: Selkie's post

Again, I think 'fans', particularly 'expert fans', see things with waaaaaay different standards than people in the biz. Osgood got bombarded by fellow hockey personalities. 400 wins may not be very HHOF or retirement worthy to you, but I once again maintain it's a huge milestone for people actually involved in the NHL level of the sport and will most likely result in HHOF and quite possibly number retirement. There's a distinct difference between "Should Osgood be in the HHOF by your standards?" and "Is Osgood HHOF worthy?" -- the latter is what's judged by people in the business of pro hockey.

My opinion? I don't know if Ozzie "should" be in the HHOF because honestly, there's absolutely no standard set for modern goaltenders. Fuhr, Smith, and Roy are the most recent goaltenders; in regards to the former two, they were the standard of a different era, and in regards to the latter, a top 3 all time player at a position does not set a standard. The same can be said for 2 other locks, Hasek and Brodeur. The next tier, Belfour, Joseph, Vernon, Osgood--these are the names that will set the bar for what's considered "HHOF-worthy" for a modern goaltender. I have no modern comparison for "should" until I see what happens with these guys, and thus, I will make no judgements on "should"... only predictions on what the HHOF will do in regards to perceived standards.

However, I will say this:

If 400 regular season wins, 74 playoff wins, and 15 playoff shutouts--all marks held by 10 or less other goaltenders in the history of the NHL--in addition to 3 cups (2 as a starter), respectable (even if not spectacular) sustained SV% and GAA (and upper echelon for said stats in the playoffs), and the ability to keep a job in one of the hardest positions in pro team sports for 17 seasons (13 of those as a starter that plays ~60 minutes a night for the majority of games in an 82 game season) is not enough to be a Hall of Fame standard, then the standards are too strict on netminders. I don't care how many of those numbers are a "team stat" or how good his team was--you don't get kept around as a player for 14 years (10 years as a key player) on the most successful hockey team for 2 decades unless you're pretty damned good yourself. Success keeps the company of success... and I offer the same argument for other 'debated' names such as Dryden and Fuhr.

Edited by Datsyerberger

Wasn't he on pace to hit 500 wins at one point? Win wise I thought he was hanging with Broduer and Roy for a bit.

It only took Osgood about 30 more games than Brodeur to hit 400; he did it faster than everyone but Marty.

Osgood's big issue was that he never had the regular 65-70 game seasons that guys like Brodeur and Roy did. This limited his win totals over his career because he couldn't win games he didn't play. Brodeur has played approximately 50% more games than Osgood since their rookie season of 1993-94. So if you add on the 50% using that simple math, Ozzie has 600 wins in 1113 games compared to Brodeur's 607 in 1103. It's simply a matter of Ozzie not playing as many games per season; his performance and winning percentage was/is more than enough to win that number of games.

There are two individual marks Ozzie likely cares about more than any others. If he gets 36 more wins, that's win 352 as a Wing and has passed Sawchuk's Detroit record of 351. Another 12 past that and he has 448 career wins, one more than Sawchuk's 447 career wins.

If Osgood plays a reasonable amount of games the rest of this season, and then as a backup next year, he hits or gets close to that first mark. Playing out through 2012-13 should put him over 447 if he gets a reasonable number of games. If he wins 4 of every 9, to match his record this season, he would need to play 72 games in a span of 200, which is equivalent to about 25-30 games over the course of a season.