• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
crotty99

Pierre McGuire at his best.

Rate this topic

Instead of getting into a bitchfest about what constitutes dirty and the good ole "back in the day" argument, can you agree the hit was unneeded?

why would a hit be unnecessary, there is always a reason for a hit, it is an integral part of the sport, it provides intimidation, wearing down of the opponent, taking them out of the play/off the puck, this one would fall under all 3 so yes t was necessary

Instead of getting into a bitchfest about what constitutes dirty and the good ole "back in the day" argument, can you agree the hit was unneeded?

nope, can't agree. the kid that got wheeled off learned a valuable lesson...keep your head up and don't admire your pass up the middle of the ice. good finish by kassian. good CLEAN hit.

Rule 540 - Checking to the Head and Neck Area – A player who directs a check or blow, with any part of his body, to the head and neck area of an opposing player or “drives” or “forces” the head of an opposing player into the protective glass or boards, shall be assessed at the discretion of the Referee, a minor and a misconduct penalty; a major and game misconduct penalty; or a match penalty. When injury occurs, a match penalty must be assessed.

That's straight from the IIHF rule book. You can complain that you don't like the rules that the IIHF enforces, but you can't say that check was 'clean' (within the rules).

There was clearly contact to the head (penalty) and there was a injury on the play (match penalty). You can complain about the supplementary discipline that it was a bit much (the extra game), but you CAN'T SAY THAT WAS A CLEAN CHECK BY IIHF RULES (the only rule set that applies at the WJC).

If you can't grasp that, then you must be a Canadian homer, or just can't read and interpret well.

It's very close even on a replay, can't blame Pierre all he has is the real time viewing and his little TV between the benches. And it's not like he's ridiculously biased, he called one of Schenn's plays a dive and also a different penalty against the Czech's "a real chintzy call". Sometimes people just see what they want to see ;)

Can't stand listening to that idiot. My dog knows more about hockey that he does.

Laughable :lol: I know there's a lot of hate for Pierre but at least make it logical. (read: he's one of the most knowledgeable personalities in the game.)

Wasn't it Pierre who literally freaked out and yelled when he thought that a Detroit player deserved a penalty? AHHHHHHH

And agree with most here. Dirty hit. Guy was way to vulnerable, they need to learn to respect others. Goal of the game is to win, not get the biggest hit or to injure someone.

clean hit, shouldn't be a penalty, but pierre is wrong, there was a bit of head contact, but a totally clean hit, i dk why you would ever suspend something like that

It was pretty late... and a big factor was how wrecked the other guy was. That hit is hard for me to judge... if it wasn't so late I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it. His head was down and it didn't look like Kassian tries to put his elbow or shoulder up extra high to his the head. But damn man, the puck was loooonnnggg gone by the time he hit him.

Without the late factor it's a dangerous but legal NHL hit. One of those "keep your head up" checks.

Getting rid of having to carry people off the ice while praying they aren't paralysed... I think we can live without that in the NHL. I love huge hits as much as the next guy. Players are getting bigger and stronger but brains aren't getting any more durable. And just like an NHL player, I'm a huge fan of being able to walk and chew my own food.

(read: he's one of the most knowledgeable personalities in the game.)

Is he really? Or does he just print out a sheet before each game with the name, draft status, Jr. hockey team and home town (with population!) for each player?

Subtract the parts of his commentary where he's reading s*** off wikipedia and you've got a whole lot less 'hockey analysis'.

Is he really? Or does he just print out a sheet before each game with the name, draft status, Jr. hockey team and home town (with population!) for each player?

Subtract the parts of his commentary where he's reading s*** off wikipedia and you've got a whole lot less 'hockey analysis'.

but he pronounces french names all frenchy..

It's very close even on a replay, can't blame Pierre all he has is the real time viewing and his little TV between the benches. And it's not like he's ridiculously biased, he called one of Schenn's plays a dive and also a different penalty against the Czech's "a real chintzy call". Sometimes people just see what they want to see ;)

Just like Pierre!

Laughable :lol: I know there's a lot of hate for Pierre but at least make it logical. (read: he's one of the most knowledgeable personalities in the game.)

The Wind only favors Datsyuk!

Rule 540 - Checking to the Head and Neck Area – A player who directs a check or blow, with any part of his body, to the head and neck area of an opposing player or “drives” or “forces” the head of an opposing player into the protective glass or boards, shall be assessed at the discretion of the Referee, a minor and a misconduct penalty; a major and game misconduct penalty; or a match penalty. When injury occurs, a match penalty must be assessed.

That's straight from the IIHF rule book. You can complain that you don't like the rules that the IIHF enforces, but you can't say that check was 'clean' (within the rules).

There was clearly contact to the head (penalty) and there was a injury on the play (match penalty). You can complain about the supplementary discipline that it was a bit much (the extra game), but you CAN'T SAY THAT WAS A CLEAN CHECK BY IIHF RULES (the only rule set that applies at the WJC).

If you can't grasp that, then you must be a Canadian homer, or just can't read and interpret well.

read my quote on the last page:

im saying the IIHF rules are wrong, not that it was a bad call

It wasn't dirty by IIHF rules because this rule doesn't constitute what is dirty or not, but what is legal or not.

It was pretty late... and a big factor was how wrecked the other guy was. That hit is hard for me to judge... if it wasn't so late I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it. His head was down and it didn't look like Kassian tries to put his elbow or shoulder up extra high to his the head. But damn man, the puck was loooonnnggg gone by the time he hit him.

Without the late factor it's a dangerous but legal NHL hit. One of those "keep your head up" checks.

Getting rid of having to carry people off the ice while praying they aren't paralysed... I think we can live without that in the NHL. I love huge hits as much as the next guy. Players are getting bigger and stronger but brains aren't getting any more durable. And just like an NHL player, I'm a huge fan of being able to walk and chew my own food.

when has stuff like this occurred? Congratulations of coming up with hyperbolic situations. IT wasn't late either so you in head timing must be a few clicks off. It doesn't matter how far the puck is, you could have the puck be a foot form you and get checked late and have it all the way down the ice and be checked in due time. The best solution is to have all players skate with their heads up, not make more and more rules and over regulate the sport. If the idiotic matt stajans cant follow the rules then let them get their bells rung.