• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

All About Eaves

Rate this topic

Everyone knows that I've not afraid to be critical of Holland, but I have to compliment him on acquiring Eaves last year. I wasn't in favor of the signing, especially since Eaves was a player that seemed to be going backwards in his career and had been passed around several teams. He just didn't look special at any area of the game.

However, he has turned out to be a great signing and is a guy that we can plug into several situations out there. He's starting to remind me of Dan Cleary, namely being a journeyman who we helped resurrect. I don't know if he'll continue improving his offensive skills like Cleary has, but he's got a good shot and isn't afraid of going to the net. I wouldn't be against him getting more time with the top forwards, especially in situations like this with injuries. Maybe even some time on the PP.

So can this guy be a 20+ goal scorer for us in the future? He's on pace for that right now.

Oh, and I couldn't resist the title of the thread, being a film buff and all. ;)

Edited by GMRwings1983

looked like shanny on the off wing on the pp goal. give him some more opportunity to score from there! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Well, I don't expect him to become some great sniper on the PP, but he does have a better shot than say Fillpulla.

His problem would be that he's not a great playmaker or set up man, but it'd still be worth trying because he can shoot and will crash the net.

After the Versteeg (sp?) fight last year, Eaves cemented himself as a favorite wing of mine. I really hope he is a Wing for years to come. Unfortunately his increased playing time is a result of injuries to others, but hopefully he can showcase his skills in this time.

On a side note:

If anyone can find one of those reebok shirts of Eaves, please let me know where you found it... I've been looking for over a year now :(

Not to necessarily compare players, but Eaves had a very Hull-esque game tonight (he even inherited Brett's old number!), drifting away from coverage into those quiet zones. His first goal could be placed among a Hull highlight package and you wouldn't notice the difference.

Basically what I'm saying is, he's going to score 70 goals. :D

I think eaves has a better shot then cleary, i also think if he keeps playing the way he does he can def have a 2nd line spot. not this year but when we have the space, maybe when homer retires

Edited by brett

Well, I don't expect him to become some great sniper on the PP, but he does have a better shot than say Fillpulla.

His problem would be that he's not a great playmaker or set up man, but it'd still be worth trying because he can shoot and will crash the net.

i think he *could* snipe hes gotta a really hard wrist shot and and when he slaps it at least he gets it on net unlike most of our team :). we've had lots oh "high and wides" this year. you are right about the playmaking though. he can cycle decently though.

Not to necessarily compare players, but Eaves had a very Hull-esque game tonight (he even inherited Brett's old number!), drifting away from coverage into those quiet zones. His first goal could be placed among a Hull highlight package and you wouldn't notice the difference.

He's got a better shot than your boy Lang.

:P

Guest Stolberg

i want to see him get more top 6 ice time, but he compliments helm/draper/abdelkader really well

They seriously have to lock up Eaves.

God, the line potentials. ZDH, ZDC, BFF, ZDE (nominating this as the Zed line), FFC, and I haven't even put Helm, Hudler, Modano, Miller, Abdelkader, or Draper in any of those.

This team could be scary good for a very long time. Even assuming Modano's a one-and-done and Draper retires,

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Cleary

Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Holmstrom-Helm-Eaves

Miller-Hudler-Abdelkader

Mursak, Tatar, whomever as the 13th.

Each has a strong center (or two, for the first line), a net-crasher, and should work as a good defensive trio.

That's a hell of a setup.

Guest Heaten

How would you compare Eaves speed compared to Helm, Mursak and Draper? He seems pretty fast out there. And I'm starting to wonder if Mursak has a slight edge in speed to Helm. Mursak's acceleration seems much quicker than Helm.

I'd like to see a line of Eaves, Franzen, and Zetterberg. Eaves' first two goals tonight came when that trio was out on the ice and Franzen set him up nicely on both goals.

i think we'll see some shifts of that line, especially late in games when Babs takes Homer out and puts in a more defensively responsible winger

I wouldn't peg him as a second cleary, but Eaves has time and again proven he can step up in different situations.

He's a good all around player, with a broad skill set, but I won't be expecting another hat trick from him for a while :)

Hudler finally does well for 2 games, and it gets overshadowed by Ozzies win 400, and Eaves Hat Trick :)

Otherwise, he has almost half his points in the last two games, lol.

Good to see a game won largely on Hudler and Eaves goals. Now we just got to keep it up for another month, and hopefully Dats and Cleary come back refresh and ready to score :)

Edited by Joey v3.4

You can quote him on that. HoH doesn't joke around.

I don't think he'll end up having the turnaround that Cleary did, although I would love if he did. The guy is on a hot streak for sure, but its only a matter of time before he cools off and when Dats and Cleary (and Modano for that matter) work their way back into the lineup, Eaves won't have the opportunities to produce that he has now. At the very least he has the chance to put a seed in Babs' mind that he's capable of a scorer's role, and maybe if we lock him up for a couple more years he might get that opportunity with some of our older players moving on or slowing down.

I don't think he'll end up having the turnaround that Cleary did, although I would love if he did. The guy is on a hot streak for sure, but its only a matter of time before he cools off and when Dats and Cleary (and Modano for that matter) work their way back into the lineup, Eaves won't have the opportunities to produce that he has now. At the very least he has the chance to put a seed in Babs' mind that he's capable of a scorer's role, and maybe if we lock him up for a couple more years he might get that opportunity with some of our older players moving on or slowing down.

Eaves will score 20 this season, barring injury, though. He's quick and generates activity in the offensive zone. Cleary is a special case, so I won't call him the next Cleary, but I think if given the chance he could reliably be a 20 goal guy in the future when a spot opens up.