• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

All About Eaves

Rate this topic

I don't think he'll end up having the turnaround that Cleary did, although I would love if he did. The guy is on a hot streak for sure, but its only a matter of time before he cools off

He was on pace for 21 goals playing third/fourth line. After the trick, he's on pace for nearly 30. He might not hit those kind of numbers, but he is most likely the best overall player in the league who plays fourth line on a healthy roster. I wonder if anyone still would be against my pre-Modano suggestion of Eaves with Dats and Homer, assuming the twins were split...

I don't think he'll end up having the turnaround that Cleary did, although I would love if he did. The guy is on a hot streak for sure, but its only a matter of time before he cools off and when Dats and Cleary (and Modano for that matter) work their way back into the lineup, Eaves won't have the opportunities to produce that he has now. At the very least he has the chance to put a seed in Babs' mind that he's capable of a scorer's role, and maybe if we lock him up for a couple more years he might get that opportunity with some of our older players moving on or slowing down.

He scored 20 goals one year in Ottawa, in only 58 games. So he's a guy that can put the puck in the net.

He'll never be a perennial 30 or 40 goal scorer, but he can certainly be the next Cleary, since I wouldn't exactly call Cleary an elite goal scorer.

I don't think he'll end up having the turnaround that Cleary did, although I would love if he did. The guy is on a hot streak for sure, but its only a matter of time before he cools off and when Dats and Cleary (and Modano for that matter) work their way back into the lineup, Eaves won't have the opportunities to produce that he has now. At the very least he has the chance to put a seed in Babs' mind that he's capable of a scorer's role, and maybe if we lock him up for a couple more years he might get that opportunity with some of our older players moving on or slowing down.

I agree. Eaves is a good player having a hot-streak but I don't think he has the skill to be put above Cleary, Franzen, Flip, Modano, etc.

He was on pace for 21 goals playing third/fourth line. After the trick, he's on pace for nearly 30. He might not hit those kind of numbers, but he is most likely the best overall player in the league who plays fourth line on a healthy roster. I wonder if anyone still would be against my pre-Modano suggestion of Eaves with Dats and Homer, assuming the twins were split...

I would still be against this. Who would you bump down to the fourth line in Eaves' place? It would be between Abby and Eaves for who would play on the third line with Flip and Huds. Assuming Abby is a competent winger, I think it would be a toss up as to which would play on the third. IMO Homer and Eaves aren't good enough playmakers to both be on the first line. However, I think this team (even pre-Modano) has enough depth at center to keep Dats and Z together. I do agree that Eaves is one of the better fourth liners in the league, but it is hard to compare since most teams have a very different fourth line. IMO Asham is just as good of a fourth liner (Eaves is a better second or third though) because of his style.

I think Eaves is having a great year thus far. I don't agree with the posters saying that he is a second line player. Can he play on the second with two other skilled players? Yes, but so can 95% of the team.

He scored 20 goals one year in Ottawa, in only 58 games. So he's a guy that can put the puck in the net.

He'll never be a perennial 30 or 40 goal scorer, but he can certainly be the next Cleary, since I wouldn't exactly call Cleary an elite goal scorer.

Agreed.

They both have almost parallell careers. Both played lights out offensively in juniors. Both taken HIGH 1st picks (I think Eaves to Ottawa 4th over all and Clears was 11th?) Both couldnt adjust their offensive game with the big boys so a lot of clubs gave up on them and they each readjusted and found a way to stay in the NHL with grinding it out. Remember it took Cleary a few years with the Wings to find his mojo and look at him now- tied for goals when he was injured. Eaves, playing with Dats, Z or Mule could tally 50 pts easy in his sleep I think.

Cleary 2.1!

Your Cleary one broke his ankle and you're Rafalski one hurt his back. :P

You did not just say that.

I think Eaves has what it takes to play on the top lines, and he seems comfortable on the lower lines. This is the kind of player I love. He brings both the ability to add a scoring threat to the bottom lines when we are healthy, and a perfectly respectable replacement in case of injuries.

And now, a hat trick. Congrats to him.

We are deep, my friends. Deep.

Eaves won't be a top line player, IMO. He does have huge potential as a key situations player though.

He did look like a goal scorer out there last night though. I will give him that.

An excellent 3rd/4th liner pickup. Possibly skilled enough to crack the 2nd line during injuries and such.

Then again, Franzen started much the same way as Eaves. it was like....who is this guy...who is this guy....who is this guy......WHOA, 4 goals in a playoff game, WHO IS THIS GUY!!!?

If Eaves goes on a huge point streak, I'd reconsider him as a top line forward, but as it stands right now, he's just about the perfect 3/4th liner.

Eaves and Cleary should be on the same line. Then they need to get a center who needs a 2nd, 3rd or 4th chance. Obviously we'll call it The Redemption Line.

Hudler? If he starts scoring like he has been in the last couple of games, he'd qualify as "redeemed".

Edited by 55fan

Guest mindfly

Agreed.

They both have almost parallell careers. Both played lights out offensively in juniors. Both taken HIGH 1st picks (I think Eaves to Ottawa 4th over all and Clears was 11th?) Both couldnt adjust their offensive game with the big boys so a lot of clubs gave up on them and they each readjusted and found a way to stay in the NHL with grinding it out. Remember it took Cleary a few years with the Wings to find his mojo and look at him now- tied for goals when he was injured. Eaves, playing with Dats, Z or Mule could tally 50 pts easy in his sleep I think.

Cleary 2.1!

Cleary mid-first round 13th overall, eaves 2nd to last in the first round 29th overall, same as kronwall.

Hudler? If he starts scoring like he has been in the last couple of games, he's qualify as "redeemed".

No.

If you suck for 40 games, and do well in two, you are not "redeemed". Lets face it, if you f***ed up 40 things to every 2 things you did well, you'd be fired, disowned, and cast to the curb. This applies even if you were a telemarketer making 8 dollars an hour, let alone a professional hockey player making millions.

How is it that we are so forgiving of people making millions? If you paid me 1 million, I would try a tripple flip off a mountain, into a firey lake below. I can't swim, I hate heights, I have no f***in clue how to flip once, let alone triple, and I'm not immune to fire, yet I'd still attempt that s*** for a million.

Yet we pay these guys millions, to do....just what?

If he can do it for the next 40 games, then he is redeemed. Until then, he still has like 3 goals in 40 games.

Good two games. Doesn't mean s*** to me.

If he went half a season sucking, and scores in two random games, there is no proof that he will not suck the rest of the season. Redeemed, is a valuable word. Don't waste it on Hudler, unless he actually lives up to that word.

That said, I'm glad Huds showed up. I do genuinely have faith in him. I think he's a very skilled player.

But I won't be saying "redeemed" for a very long time.

Edited by Joey v3.4

No.

If you suck for 40 games, and do well in two, you are not "redeemed".

I've enjoyed your posts so far, but you dropped the ball on this one. Perhaps you just mis-read what I wrote.

I said If he starts scoring like he has been in the last couple of games, he'd qualify as "redeemed".

We've been looking for something to get Huds going. If playing with Eaves and Cleary (as was proposed) gets him going and he starts scoring like he has been in the last couple of games, he'd qualify as "redeemed".

I've enjoyed your posts so far, but you dropped the ball on this one. Perhaps you just mis-read what I wrote.

I said If he starts scoring like he has been in the last couple of games, he'd qualify as "redeemed".

We've been looking for something to get Huds going. If playing with Eaves and Cleary (as was proposed) gets him going and he starts scoring like he has been in the last couple of games, he'd qualify as "redeemed".

When saying I dropped the ball, you should not say:

"If he starts scoring like he has been"

When he has only been doing it two games.

I don't really care that I dropped the ball in your opinion. I still stick with my opinion.

You might base your opinion on his last two games. I try to look at the season. A s*** ton of players have scored 2 games in a row, only to go on to be minor league players the next year.

I am not a Hudler hater. I honestly think the man has skills. I'm just saying, 2 good games so far in an 82 game season....is not really awe inspiring.

Hell, Draper can pull that off. Hell........Miller pulled it off.

A goalie could pull off points in two consecutive games, in theory.

I never shut my eyes on Hudler. I'm just saying.....he broke out two games....now he's got 40 more to prove.

I am not really anti hudler. I am not really Pro Hudler. My stance is more like, "lets ******* see"

Oh and when I'm wrong, I got no problem admitting it. I'm wrong more than I'd care to admit, honestly.

This thread isn't even about Hudler.

I digress.

Edited by Joey v3.4

When saying I dropped the ball, you should not say:

"If he starts scoring like he has been"

When he has only been doing it two games.

I don't really care that I dropped the ball in your opinion. I still stick with my opinion.

You might base your opinion on his last two games. I try to look at the season. A s*** ton of players have scored 2 games in a row, only to go on to be minor league players the next year.

I am not a Hudler hater. I honestly think the man has skills. I'm just saying, 2 good games so far in an 82 game season....is not really awe inspiring.

Hell, Draper can pull that off. Hell........Miller pulled it off.

A goalie could pull off points in two consecutive games, in theory.

I never shut my eyes on Hudler. I'm just saying.....he broke out two games....now he's got 40 more to prove.

I am not really anti hudler. I am not really Pro Hudler. My stance is more like, "lets ******* see"

Oh and when I'm wrong, I got no problem admitting it. I'm wrong more than I'd care to admit, honestly.

This thread isn't even about Hudler.

I digress.

Fair enough.

With this post and edits you made to the original post, I understand your position now.

I had said that Hudler could be part of a line with Cleary (who has redeemed himself) and Eaves (who is in the process and is making good progress). I felt Hudler had potential to be part of a redemption project line if he keeps doing as he has in the last couple of games.

The other two being discussed did well in junior and headed into the league with high expectations which were not met for various reasons.

Hudler left here doing well, but has not returned to the level of play that he once had, and has not lived up to expectations.

I thought he'd fit as a redemption project since we've seen in the last couple of games that he still has it in him. He just needs to keep going.

Your original response simply said "No" based on this season, which was not at all what I was talking about.

Now that you have explained yourself, I see that we are talking about two different things altogether from two different perspectives. You are talking about this season, in which case your opinion is accurate. I am talking about his future.

Either way, if Eaves and Cleary can do it, I'll give Huds a chance to redeem himself. It doesn't work every time, but it has paid off nicely in what we have gotten out of Eaves and Cleary.

Fair enough.

With this post and edits you made to the original post, I understand your position now.

I had said that Hudler could be part of a line with Cleary (who has redeemed himself) and Eaves (who is in the process and is making good progress). I felt Hudler had potential to be part of a redemption project line if he keeps doing as he has in the last couple of games.

The other two being discussed did well in junior and headed into the league with high expectations which were not met for various reasons.

Hudler left here doing well, but has not returned to the level of play that he once had, and has not lived up to expectations.

I thought he'd fit as a redemption project since we've seen in the last couple of games that he still has it in him. He just needs to keep going.

Your original response simply said "No" based on this season, which was not at all what I was talking about.

Now that you have explained yourself, I see that we are talking about two different things altogether from two different perspectives. You are talking about this season, in which case your opinion is accurate. I am talking about his future.

Either way, if Eaves and Cleary can do it, I'll give Huds a chance to redeem himself. It doesn't work every time, but it has paid off nicely in what we have gotten out of Eaves and Cleary.

You explained yourself a lot better that time.

I agree, but I'm still going to remain a stoic on the issue :)

You explained yourself a lot better that time.

I agree, but I'm still going to remain a stoic on the issue :)

Cool. Glad we got that ironed out.

I've given you enough plusses on your posts that I don't want to have to regret wasting them. ;)

I would still be against this. Who would you bump down to the fourth line in Eaves' place? It would be between Abby and Eaves for who would play on the third line with Flip and Huds.

The lines I had slated, if I recall correctly, were:

Bertuzzi/Zetterberg/Cleary

Holmstrom/Datsyuk/Eaves

Franzen/Filppula/Hudler

Abdelkader/Helm/Miller

IMO Asham is just as good of a fourth liner (Eaves is a better second or third though) because of his style.

I said overall player. I was referring to those players playing on fourth lines, not with regard to the "fourth line" style of play. Arguing that Asham is a better overall player than Eaves is like saying Manny Legace is on track for the Vezina.

I think Eaves is having a great year thus far. I don't agree with the posters saying that he is a second line player. Can he play on the second with two other skilled players? Yes, but so can 95% of the team.

Eaves is a developed player who has all of the skills to play on the second line. He has been putting them to use this season. Just because he's not on the second line due to the Wings' excessive depth does not mean he is not second-line capable.

Eaves and Cleary are very similar players actually.

Both are versatile, can score, can hit, dont really back down in scrums and are solid PKers.

I'm a pretty big Eaves fan and it pisses me off when Miller gets bumped up a line over Eaves.

The lines I had slated, if I recall correctly, were:

Bertuzzi/Zetterberg/Cleary

Holmstrom/Datsyuk/Eaves

Franzen/Filppula/Hudler

Abdelkader/Helm/Miller

I said overall player. I was referring to those players playing on fourth lines, not with regard to the "fourth line" style of play. Arguing that Asham is a better overall player than Eaves is like saying Manny Legace is on track for the Vezina.

Eaves is a developed player who has all of the skills to play on the second line. He has been putting them to use this season. Just because he's not on the second line due to the Wings' excessive depth does not mean he is not second-line capable.

To me, that is spreading the Wings' talent too thin. IMO the Wings have one of the top lines in the league with ZDH. Franzen-Flip-Bert would be a top line for some teams in the league (replace Bert or Flip with a better player and it could be most teams top line), and Huds-Abby-Cleary is almost on par with every second line in the league. IMO the above (what Babcock did) is like having a 1a,1b,2b line setup and yours is more closely a 2a,2a,2a setup. The results may be similar on paper but the Wings' third line usually gets a lot less time than the first and second and I think that would under-utilize Mule and Flip.

I see what you mean now. I would agree that Eaves is a better all-around player while Asham is likely a better fourth liner (if he PKs well). Surprisingly, Asham has posted one 30+ point season and ~five 20+ point seasons.

I don't agree with this. Can Eaves be a play on a second line and not look out of place? Yes. However, being the third piece on a line with two better players is a spot many NHLers can fill. Outside of most team's top five players, there are a few players who can play that sixth spot. It usually comes down to chemistry.

Edited by WorkingOvertime