• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:54 AM

Not to necessarily compare players, but Eaves had a very Hull-esque game tonight (he even inherited Brett's old number!), drifting away from coverage into those quiet zones. His first goal could be placed among a Hull highlight package and you wouldn't notice the difference.

Basically what I'm saying is, he's going to score 70 goals. :D

You can quote him on that. HoH doesn't joke around.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#22 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:15 AM

I don't think he'll end up having the turnaround that Cleary did, although I would love if he did. The guy is on a hot streak for sure, but its only a matter of time before he cools off and when Dats and Cleary (and Modano for that matter) work their way back into the lineup, Eaves won't have the opportunities to produce that he has now. At the very least he has the chance to put a seed in Babs' mind that he's capable of a scorer's role, and maybe if we lock him up for a couple more years he might get that opportunity with some of our older players moving on or slowing down.

#23 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:20 AM

I don't think he'll end up having the turnaround that Cleary did, although I would love if he did. The guy is on a hot streak for sure, but its only a matter of time before he cools off and when Dats and Cleary (and Modano for that matter) work their way back into the lineup, Eaves won't have the opportunities to produce that he has now. At the very least he has the chance to put a seed in Babs' mind that he's capable of a scorer's role, and maybe if we lock him up for a couple more years he might get that opportunity with some of our older players moving on or slowing down.

Eaves will score 20 this season, barring injury, though. He's quick and generates activity in the offensive zone. Cleary is a special case, so I won't call him the next Cleary, but I think if given the chance he could reliably be a 20 goal guy in the future when a spot opens up.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#24 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

Lock him up Kenny before he breaks out.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#25 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

my .gif avatars spur players to greatness

#26 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:40 PM

my .gif avatars spur players to greatness

Your Cleary one broke his ankle and you're Rafalski one hurt his back. :P
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#27 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

cleary dun broked when i switched to eaves

:sly:

#28 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

I don't think he'll end up having the turnaround that Cleary did, although I would love if he did. The guy is on a hot streak for sure, but its only a matter of time before he cools off

He was on pace for 21 goals playing third/fourth line. After the trick, he's on pace for nearly 30. He might not hit those kind of numbers, but he is most likely the best overall player in the league who plays fourth line on a healthy roster. I wonder if anyone still would be against my pre-Modano suggestion of Eaves with Dats and Homer, assuming the twins were split...
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#29 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

cleary dun broked when i switched to eaves

:sly:

I blame you for their rebellious nature, then, when you switch your Avies.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#30 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:09 PM

He scored 20 goals one year in Ottawa, in only 58 games. So he's a guy that can put the puck in the net.

He'll never be a perennial 30 or 40 goal scorer, but he can certainly be the next Cleary, since I wouldn't exactly call Cleary an elite goal scorer.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#31 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:37 PM

I agree. Eaves is a good player having a hot-streak but I don't think he has the skill to be put above Cleary, Franzen, Flip, Modano, etc.

He was on pace for 21 goals playing third/fourth line. After the trick, he's on pace for nearly 30. He might not hit those kind of numbers, but he is most likely the best overall player in the league who plays fourth line on a healthy roster. I wonder if anyone still would be against my pre-Modano suggestion of Eaves with Dats and Homer, assuming the twins were split...

I would still be against this. Who would you bump down to the fourth line in Eaves' place? It would be between Abby and Eaves for who would play on the third line with Flip and Huds. Assuming Abby is a competent winger, I think it would be a toss up as to which would play on the third. IMO Homer and Eaves aren't good enough playmakers to both be on the first line. However, I think this team (even pre-Modano) has enough depth at center to keep Dats and Z together. I do agree that Eaves is one of the better fourth liners in the league, but it is hard to compare since most teams have a very different fourth line. IMO Asham is just as good of a fourth liner (Eaves is a better second or third though) because of his style.

I think Eaves is having a great year thus far. I don't agree with the posters saying that he is a second line player. Can he play on the second with two other skilled players? Yes, but so can 95% of the team.

#32 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

He scored 20 goals one year in Ottawa, in only 58 games. So he's a guy that can put the puck in the net.

He'll never be a perennial 30 or 40 goal scorer, but he can certainly be the next Cleary, since I wouldn't exactly call Cleary an elite goal scorer.

Agreed.
They both have almost parallell careers. Both played lights out offensively in juniors. Both taken HIGH 1st picks (I think Eaves to Ottawa 4th over all and Clears was 11th?) Both couldnt adjust their offensive game with the big boys so a lot of clubs gave up on them and they each readjusted and found a way to stay in the NHL with grinding it out. Remember it took Cleary a few years with the Wings to find his mojo and look at him now- tied for goals when he was injured. Eaves, playing with Dats, Z or Mule could tally 50 pts easy in his sleep I think.
Cleary 2.1!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#33 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,877 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

Your Cleary one broke his ankle and you're Rafalski one hurt his back. :P

You did not just say that.

I think Eaves has what it takes to play on the top lines, and he seems comfortable on the lower lines. This is the kind of player I love. He brings both the ability to add a scoring threat to the bottom lines when we are healthy, and a perfectly respectable replacement in case of injuries.

And now, a hat trick. Congrats to him.

We are deep, my friends. Deep.

#34 Joey v3.4

Joey v3.4

Stoned

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:11 PM

Eaves won't be a top line player, IMO. He does have huge potential as a key situations player though.

He did look like a goal scorer out there last night though. I will give him that.

An excellent 3rd/4th liner pickup. Possibly skilled enough to crack the 2nd line during injuries and such.

Then again, Franzen started much the same way as Eaves. it was like....who is this guy...who is this guy....who is this guy......WHOA, 4 goals in a playoff game, WHO IS THIS GUY!!!?

If Eaves goes on a huge point streak, I'd reconsider him as a top line forward, but as it stands right now, he's just about the perfect 3/4th liner.
And Boom goes the Dynamite.

#35 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:03 PM

Eaves and Cleary should be on the same line. Then they need to get a center who needs a 2nd, 3rd or 4th chance. Obviously we'll call it The Redemption Line.

#36 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,877 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:12 PM

Eaves and Cleary should be on the same line. Then they need to get a center who needs a 2nd, 3rd or 4th chance. Obviously we'll call it The Redemption Line.

Hudler? If he starts scoring like he has been in the last couple of games, he'd qualify as "redeemed".

Edited by 55fan, 30 December 2010 - 06:58 PM.

#37 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:17 PM

Agreed.
They both have almost parallell careers. Both played lights out offensively in juniors. Both taken HIGH 1st picks (I think Eaves to Ottawa 4th over all and Clears was 11th?) Both couldnt adjust their offensive game with the big boys so a lot of clubs gave up on them and they each readjusted and found a way to stay in the NHL with grinding it out. Remember it took Cleary a few years with the Wings to find his mojo and look at him now- tied for goals when he was injured. Eaves, playing with Dats, Z or Mule could tally 50 pts easy in his sleep I think.
Cleary 2.1!

Cleary mid-first round 13th overall, eaves 2nd to last in the first round 29th overall, same as kronwall.

#38 Joey v3.4

Joey v3.4

Stoned

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

Hudler? If he starts scoring like he has been in the last couple of games, he's qualify as "redeemed".

No.

If you suck for 40 games, and do well in two, you are not "redeemed". Lets face it, if you f***ed up 40 things to every 2 things you did well, you'd be fired, disowned, and cast to the curb. This applies even if you were a telemarketer making 8 dollars an hour, let alone a professional hockey player making millions.

How is it that we are so forgiving of people making millions? If you paid me 1 million, I would try a tripple flip off a mountain, into a firey lake below. I can't swim, I hate heights, I have no f***in clue how to flip once, let alone triple, and I'm not immune to fire, yet I'd still attempt that s*** for a million.

Yet we pay these guys millions, to do....just what?

If he can do it for the next 40 games, then he is redeemed. Until then, he still has like 3 goals in 40 games.

Good two games. Doesn't mean s*** to me.

If he went half a season sucking, and scores in two random games, there is no proof that he will not suck the rest of the season. Redeemed, is a valuable word. Don't waste it on Hudler, unless he actually lives up to that word.

That said, I'm glad Huds showed up. I do genuinely have faith in him. I think he's a very skilled player.

But I won't be saying "redeemed" for a very long time.

Edited by Joey v3.4, 30 December 2010 - 07:07 PM.

And Boom goes the Dynamite.

#39 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

reading comprehension

#40 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,877 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

No.

If you suck for 40 games, and do well in two, you are not "redeemed".

I've enjoyed your posts so far, but you dropped the ball on this one. Perhaps you just mis-read what I wrote.

I said If he starts scoring like he has been in the last couple of games, he'd qualify as "redeemed".

We've been looking for something to get Huds going. If playing with Eaves and Cleary (as was proposed) gets him going and he starts scoring like he has been in the last couple of games, he'd qualify as "redeemed".