• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

12/31 GDT: Islanders 4 at Red Wings 3 OT)

Rate this topic

In the modern era, the Red Wings have never had a goalie that has been known for carrying teams or "stealing" games. The one exception was Hasek, but all he had to do was stop the puck when he needed to, and hey what do you know, they won a Stanley Cup. He didn't have to play like he did in Buffalo, though. He actually complained about not seeing enough shots in some games as a Red Wing.

In 2003, they signed Curtis Joseph who was known for stealing games and carrying teams. And look how that turned out. He was average and cost $8 million.

The Red Wings style of play - puck possession and controlling the play - is horrible for evaluating their own goaltender. They see little shots and are expected to come up big after seeing no action for a long period of time. I mean, Howard has played over 100 games in the NHL and we still don't even know what kind of goalie he is. Is he actually good? Well, he made some big saves here and there. So I guess?

The Wings' style of play means they can win with average goaltending, which means management will never overpay for an elite goaltender ever. They'd rather place their money into defense and forward depth. This is why players like Chris Osgood and Kris Draper keep hanging around. They're cheap and serviceable. Heck, the Red Wings even tried to win with Manny ******* Legace in net as a starter.

What I'm saying is until management decides it's time to acquire a goalie like Ryan Miller, Henrik Lundqvist, or Robert Luongo, whether through trades or the draft, fans should expect games like the Islanders to occur.

Edited by Reilly

Except for Miller, I hope the Wings never break the bank on an "elite" goalie. They are simply too unpredictable. I like the way they do things, finding two capable goalies. I just wish Ozzie would get more starts, just because we need to have both these guys ready at a moment's notice.

In the modern era, the Red Wings have never had a goalie that has been known for carrying teams or "stealing" games. The one exception was Hasek, but all he had to do was stop the puck when he needed to, and hey what do you know, they won a Stanley Cup. He didn't have to play like he did in Buffalo, though. He actually complained about not seeing enough shots in some games as a Red Wing.

In 2003, they signed Curtis Joseph who was known for stealing games and carrying teams. And look how that turned out. He was average and cost $8 million.

The Red Wings style of play - puck possession and controlling the play - is horrible for evaluating their own goaltender. They see little shots and are expected to come up big after seeing no action for a long period of time. I mean, Howard has played over 100 games in the NHL and we still don't even know what kind of goalie he is. Is he actually good? Well, he made some big saves here and there. So I guess?

The Wings' style of play means they can win with average goaltending, which means management will never overpay for an elite goaltender ever. They'd rather place their money into defense and forward depth. This is why players like Chris Osgood and Kris Draper keep hanging around. They're cheap and serviceable. Heck, the Red Wings even tried to win with Manny ******* Legace in net as a starter.

What I'm saying is until management decides it's time to acquire a goalie like Ryan Miller, Henrik Lundqvist, or Robert Luongo, whether through trades or the draft, fans should expect games like the Islanders to occur.

Well said, sir. Red Wings goaltender has always been a thankless job. I think Howard fits in well here, and like you said the jury is still out about whether or not he's a "great" goalie. I do wish they'd switch between him and Ozzie more. I like having two sharp goalies going into the playoffs. If Howard gets injured, it would not be good to put a rusty Ozzie in the net.

I've been away a few days, this was the first time I got a chance to watch Tatar's goal celebration. My question is, what's the big deal? I have no problem with it! It's the first goal of his career, he should be excited! Good for him, I hope it's the first of many!

I have nothing against celebrating a goal. However, it looked to me as if he was not celebrating that "we scored," he was celebrating that "I scored." I realize I'm a lone wolf on this.

Yes, you are. And if he is, who gives a rats butt. He was excited and wanted everyone to know he got it lol. I wish a lot of the Wings would show this kind of passion.

Edited by Hockeymom1960

I have nothing against celebrating a goal. However, it looked to me as if he was not celebrating that "we scored," he was celebrating that "I scored." I realize I'm a lone wolf on this.

Don't worry. Someday he might be a full fledged Red Wing having learned the system of how to celebrate goals as boringly as he can.

Don't worry. Someday he might be a full fledged Red Wing having learned the system of how to celebrate goals as boringly as he can.

I'll take boring celebration and a winning team over hot-dogging any day. One of the reasons the Wings have been so successful is that they are a "team-first" organization. It started with Stevie and has been passed on through the lineup for the past 20 years. I'm not saying one celebration indicates he's a selfish player, but I hope he learns quickly that when you score, you celebrate with your teammates and don't make a point of showing everyone that you got the goal.

I don't understand why some people are making such a huge deal about Tatar. Think about it; if you were 21 and scored your first ever goal, would you not celebrate? Hell I know I would, and I'm almost 22. It's just like Mickey (and other members here) said, it's the logo on the front, not the name on the back. Good for him, I wish more Wings would celebrate a bit more than just the raising of the hands haha. Maybe not quite Ovie style, but a bit more than just "yay, I scored, again..."

Off Topic: did anyone watch NHL Network between the 2 IIHF games? They did the top 10 best shootout(I think) goals and Datsyuk's deke in the SO against Minnesota was number 1. Awesome.

I'll take boring celebration and a winning team over hot-dogging any day. One of the reasons the Wings have been so successful is that they are a "team-first" organization. It started with Stevie and has been passed on through the lineup for the past 20 years. I'm not saying one celebration indicates he's a selfish player, but I hope he learns quickly that when you score, you celebrate with your teammates and don't make a point of showing everyone that you got the goal.

how is that hot dogging?

It's the first NHL goal of his career, and he's grabbing the Winged Wheel. To me he's celebrating the goal as a Red Wing.

If he starts doing crap like dropping his stick and holding his hands over it like it's hot, that's a different story.