• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

1/2 GDT: Flyers 3 at Red Wings 2

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

I don't understand why Osgood isn't getting more starts. Right now there is little difference between Howard and Ozzie, except maybe Ozzie is playing a little better. Everyone, including Babcock has wanted to get him going for two years now, and here's the best chance the team will get. Ozzie needs to play more consistently to be of any value down the road.

It's pretty weak to have two goalies with under .910 save percentage, both goalies are pretty bad so not worth arguing who should start.

If the other team gets 30 shots on goal they will have 3goals on that, and many teams will get 30 or more shots against detroit, and you can't expect the offense to put up 4goals+ every game, even though they managed that in plenty of recent games.

Edited by mindfly

The Month of January

This is the first of 11 games in the month of January; 4 Home and 7 Road.

The month will consist of:

4 games vs. Division / Conference teams

4 games vs. Non-Division / Conference teams

3 games vs. Non-Division / Non-Conference teams.

Historical Most / Fewest in January

Most

Games: 15 (six times)

Wins: 13 (two times)

Losses: 15

Fewest

Games: 6

Wins: 2 (four times)

Losses: 2 (two times)

Current Streaks

Regular Season Streaks

Overall: 1-game losing streak (overtime)

Home: 1-game losing streak (overtime)

Historical Regular Season Streaks vs. Philadelphia

Overall: 1-game losing streak

Home: 8-game winning streak (1 shutout, 1 overtime); 16-game unbeaten streak (2 ties, 3 overtime, dating back to 01/11/1989)

Last Ten Games

Last Ten Games – Current Regular Season

Overall: 5W-4L-1OTL

Home: 5W-4L-1OTL

Last Ten Games - Historical Regular Season vs. Philadelphia

Overall: 6W-4L

Home: 9W-0L-1T

Home Stand / Road Trip

This is the last game of a two-game home stand.

Record on this Date

January 2

This is the 33rd regular season game played on this date. The Club's record in the previous 32 games:

17W-13L-2T.

LGW.

It's pretty weak to have two goalies with under .910 save percentage, both goalies are pretty bad so not worth arguing who should start.

If the other team gets 30 shots on goal they will have 3goals on that, and many teams will get 30 or more shots against detroit, and you can't expect the offense to put up 4goals+ every game, even though they managed that in plenty of recent games.

Save percentage is an AVERAGE. Osgood has not played enough games to even have a statistically meaningful save % and the Wings average less than 30 SA/G.

You should stick to just predicting a loss every game instead of trying to justify it with statistics that you don't understand.

Edited by chrisdetroit

Guest mindfly

Save percentage is an AVERAGE. Osgood has not played enough games to even have a statistically meaningful save % and the Wings average less than 30 SA/G.

You should stick to just predicting a loss every game instead of trying to justify it with statistics that you don't understand.

SV% is everything when looking on who's the best GOALIE, everything else is more or less a team statistic.

I don't understand why Osgood isn't getting more starts. Right now there is little difference between Howard and Ozzie, except maybe Ozzie is playing a little better. Everyone, including Babcock has wanted to get him going for two years now, and here's the best chance the team will get. Ozzie needs to play more consistently to be of any value down the road.

Because Howard is in a little slump and he is the future goalie of the organization. Ozzie wont be our guy going into playoffs and likely wont even be on the team next year. I don't know why so many people think he should start as much as Howard.

I'll be at this game, looking forward to seeing Tatar and Mursak live in action. I hope the wings win.

Guest mindfly

Hudler/Filppula(if you have to)+Kindl+Pick for Carey Price, and you wouldn't have to worry about the goaltending situation for over a decade, the kid is only 23 years old.

Edited by mindfly

SV% is everything when looking on who's the best GOALIE, everything else is more or less a team statistic.

How is SV% not a team statistic as well? Every shot that a goalie faces is impacted by the rest of his team somehow -- an unscreened wrister from along the boards is a lot different than a breakaway.

As ever, the only way to truly know anything about a player is to watch the games and see for yourself.

Because Howard is in a little slump and he is the future goalie of the organization. Ozzie wont be our guy going into playoffs and likely wont even be on the team next year. I don't know why so many people think he should start as much as Howard.

I'll be at this game, looking forward to seeing Tatar and Mursak live in action. I hope the wings win.

I can't speak for others, but I would like to see Ozzie have a few more starts because A) Howard needs a bit of rest now and again so he will be fresher for the playoffs and B) if, God forbid, anything happens to Howie, we need Ozzie to be rust-free.

Hudler/Filppula(if you have to)+Kindl+Pick for Carey Price, and you wouldn't have to worry about the goaltending situation for over a decade, the kid is only 23 years old.

Price is not even top 10 in any stat other than Wins, not to mention he lets in weaker goals than any other goalie in existence.

Heading to the game tomorrow. Sitting in the Holiday Inn Express that's a mile away right now :)

May get a late lunch before the game, any suggestions?

Looking forward to a great game!

Not sure if anyone else agrees, but when i went to the Joe last week for the Canucks game, we went to the Vue...a small place in Cobo hall. Great view of the water and they have a "burger and a beer" deal for 6.95. They are open before and after the game. The Chicken club was great and the location is really convenient. Just a thought! :)

This could be an interesting game because of a so-called weaker Eastern conference hot team playing a hot Western conference team. I DO wish all the players were healthy on both sides to see a true matchup.

I also think Ozzie should be getting more starts. He played so well in his last outing which tells me the little punk rocker is on a roll right now.

Edited by Vladifan

I'm not saying Howard is a failure who we should give up on, but you play the hot goalie. And Ozzie is the closest thing to a hot goalie as we have right now. Howard has played subpar. The Wings thrive best when they have two goalies playing well. We don't need to rely on Howard and that's my point. The future of the organization or not, the Wings have wanted to have a fairly even goalie rotation and we're not getting that at this point when we very well could be.

He should start as much as Howard because right now he's as good, if not better than, Howard. And actually, I'm not arguing for an even 50/50 split, but a few consecutive starts would be nice to get Ozzie going. The team seems to play better in front of him for now.

And frankly, if Ozzie continues to play well and gets consecutive starts I'd be he will be our goalie in the playoffs. You go with who can win you games.

flyers 10 - wings -7 howard gets pulled after one goal ozzie lets in 9 after that, wings fans will complain about howard afterward

pronger miraculously recovers in time and scores all 10 goals

Thank you. Glad I'm not the only LGWer noticing this.