• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

1/2 GDT: Flyers 3 at Red Wings 2

Rate this topic

I recorded the game and just finished watching it at 3X speed...didn't look real good in the 1st or 2nd...3rd was ok.

When do Dats and Cleary come back?

Edited by 26point2

Guest mindfly

I recorded the game and watched it at 3X speed...didn't look real good in the 1st or 2nd...3rd was ok.

When do Dats and Cleary come back?

Right before or after the all-star break.. so around 10 more games they will be out, would be nice if wings can go 5-5-1, .500 atleast come on.

Edited by mindfly

You gotta think Ozzie earned the nod for the next couple of games. This game was simple... the team is not playing confident right now in front of Howard, and he isn't confident enough either. Ozzie came in for period 3 and turned the game into something, making 3 huge saves in the first 30 seconds and next shift Wings score. That is goaltending, providing the teams with timely, necessary saves and Ozzie showed he is able to do that right now. I would like to see Ozzie play Tuesday in Edmonton and Friday in Calgary, with Howard getting the nod in Vancouver on the back to back as Ozzie clearly deserves some credit here by Babs and it will be a shame if Babs does not give it to him.

On another note, I think Lidstrom and Rafi together, with Stu gone, really lifted the team up and get them moving faster... I would like those 2 to stay together even if Stu is okay, which i sure hope he is.

I have been thinking that the last few games. Jimmy has been OK, but no where near last years effort. Give Ozzie a few more starts and see what happens. If he starts playing better than Jimmie, then give him the net and let Jimmy fight to get it back. Jimmie need some competition.

It comes down to a simple equation. Which of the goalies has been playing better this past month? Ozzie, by a mile. Let's spare ourselves the endless debate over who should is better overall. Howard has gotten into bad habits and needs a break to get rid of them. I'm tired of seeing him so low on the ice every single time. It seems like he's always getting scored on high or because he immediately goes to the ground and can't get up and over for the rebound.

Ozzie gives the team a chance to win. At the very least do a 60-40 rotation, if not a 50-50 for now.

No predictions for the future, but for right now, we need Ozzie. The team didn't play to their full potential but they played well enough to win. Considering that Howard was clearly the weak link, especially after Ozzie immediately made huge saves coming in.

EDIT: On the bright side, the Wings should dominate January with a good schedule. Frankly I don't care if Vancouver takes 1st for now, there's still half a season left and in the end 1st place doesn't really matter anyway. But I'm tired of seeing mindfly talk like this means we're suddenly out of the playoffs because a team TIED us for 1st.

Edited by VM1138

Guest mjtm77

It comes down to a simple equation. Which of the goalies has been playing better this past month? Ozzie, by a mile. Let's spare ourselves the endless debate over who should is better overall. Howard has gotten into bad habits and needs a break to get rid of them. I'm tired of seeing him so low on the ice every single time. It seems like he's always getting scored on high or because he immediately goes to the ground and can't get up and over for the rebound.

Ozzie gives the team a chance to win. At the very least do a 60-40 rotation, if not a 50-50 for now.

No predictions for the future, but for right now, we need Ozzie. The team didn't play to their full potential but they played well enough to win. Considering that Howard was clearly the weak link, especially after Ozzie immediately made huge saves coming in.

EDIT: On the bright side, the Wings should dominate January with a good schedule. Frankly I don't care if Vancouver takes 1st for now, there's still half a season left and in the end 1st place doesn't really matter anyway. But I'm tired of seeing mindfly talk like this means we're suddenly out of the playoffs because a team TIED us for 1st.

1st place matters I have a $ 15 bet with a friend

Guest mjtm77

This could be an interesting game because of a so-called weaker Eastern conference hot team playing a hot Western conference team. I DO wish all the players were healthy on both sides to see a true matchup.

I also think Ozzie should be getting more starts. He played so well in his last outing which tells me the little punk rocker is on a roll right now.

:blink:

Remember the Kings game last year?

It's never a good idea to sit back. No lead is safe.

oh dont get me wrong, i havent forgotten how many leads the wings have pissed away. Didnt they give up like a 3 or 5 goal lead against calgary last season? i was more or less making a point about how the wings have had problems starting off games, getting behind, and having to come up big in the 3rd. the STL and DAL games come to mind as big ones where they scored a lot in the 3rd, but still, they are out there.

and yes, i agree, no lead is safe :)

While I definitely think Osgood's been real good since returning and Howard's been roughing it in inconsistency land for nearly two months now, I don't think Howard was the weak link tonight. Sure, he wasn't great and we went down 3-0, but he's been worse in other games recently than he was in this one. This felt flukier to me than anything. But none the less, I agree that Osgood should be starting more. He's playing better lately while Jimmy is still struggling.

Jimmy's young, I'm not surprised. If not for Osgood's injuries last year and struggles to get back going, Osgood would still be considered the starter. He was coming off a Conn-Smythe worthy playoff run after all. If he can get going and be the guy in the playoffs, I think it could be the best thing for the team and for Howard. We all know that when Osgood's on his game and heading into the playoffs, he's literally capable of being among if not the very best playoff goalies out there. And now that it's becoming more and more clear that Howard still has things to learn, I don't think there could be anything better for his development than to see a great playoff goalie doing his thing. Howard will learn a lot from it and shed some of that pressure that can be crippling early on in your career.

I've thought since last year that the best thing for Howard to do in his first 2-3 seasons is to focus on learning what it takes to be the starter. I figured he'd play 20-30 last year, more of a split this year and then next year begin to take over more as the starter with Osgood than transitioning into a backup/support role. I really think the whole starter thing came to early and I'd be fine with getting it back on track. Pushing Howard through this thus far hasn't been fruitful for him or the Wings. He's too talented to waste so I really hope they give him a chance to relax and get focused on learning without as much pressure, as I do firmly believe that the pressure was too much for him in the post-season and it's carried into this year and continued to spiral downwards. Better to nip it early than burn out. He's still got plenty of reasons to be confident. He hasn't been horrible at all. The NHL is just a rough league to be a goalie in and the second year can really spin you around and wear you down.

Well it was a good time at the Joe. Looked like a full house, got pretty loud at times (especially the 3rd).

It's been a while since I was at a Wings game and they lost...even longer where they had a regulation loss.

Only thing that I thought was a big issue tonight was passes. One too many of them and just tons of fumbled, missed or the ones that went to no one. The whole game it seemed like the Wings forgot how to stop and control the pass. This of course led to plenty of turnovers, at least they made the 3rd interesting.

well, the Nucks won tonight. they are tied w/ us with 53 points and have 2 games in hand.

Go wings, defeat edmonton tuesday :siren:

Canucks play in San Jose tomorrow and can potentially go up by 2 points and still have a game in hand.

Tough loss.

Unlucky goals against Howie. Not really his fault. Ozzie came up big in relief.

We need to be less Jessica Alba and more Rosie O'Donnell out there.

If I was the opposition I would let Jessica Alba do whatever she wanted. I would crush Rosie since she bats for the same team.

Less sexy, more ugly.

All those cute passes aren't finding their marks. Those dirty garbage goals are getting us points w/o Datsyuk.

Less sexy and more beastly/manly :hehe:

Guest Food Stamps

Hate to say it, but the team has been struggling....

Babs needs to play Ozzie... Plain n Simple...

Agreed, Howard has looked mediocre ALL SEASON, and it seems like the team has just lost energy playing in front of him. Lets see if Osgood can climb to top 8th in all time wins in 10-11 games.

Hartnell made it 3-0 with 5:36 left in the second, beating Howard high on the short side from the bottom of the left circle on a turnaround shot. Hartnell has 10 goals.

"I had a feeling in that situation that the goalie would be down," Hartnell said. "So I just tried to get the puck up."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=548211

This is the kind of thing that I've worried about since last season. While Howard did an outstanding job of stopping the puck last regular season, he displayed a fair amount of rather glaring weaknesses as well. It makes me think that the more focused attack in the playoffs by other teams and the increasing struggles this year are no coincidence. Howard plays a ton and with rather obvious weaknesses and tendencies, guys are likely figuring out how to more easily score on him. In any event, his December stats are pretty brutal and they weren't any better the second half of November. He really didn't need this game tonight to get 2011 off on the right note.

However, I'm slowly coming back to a similar frustration to one from last year, and it's directed at Babcock. I don't think Jimmy played a terrible game tonight; some weird bounces were really the story. But considering Howard's been on a steady decline since mid-November while showing little sign of the decline really ending, why is he continuing to get starts? Wait, let me rephrase that. Why is Babcock seemingly doing all he can to ensure that Jimmy Howard becomes just another one of the countless one-year wonder goalies who gets lost in the sophomore season slump? Sure, he's winning, but at what cost? He looks less and less confident every game and more and more frustrated and frazzled. This just doesn't make sense to me. If you've got a guy with the talent to be a real-deal pro for awhile, why do all you can to burn him out in 2 seasons? I just don't get it, and as I think about it, I truly am infinitely more frustrated by Babcock's decisions than Howard's play. I certainly want to see Howard improve, but he's not being given the best chance to allow that to happen.

Well, either that or he really was just a one-season wonder. Maybe 5 seasons in Grand Rapids and shaky play there wasn't a fluke after all...it's a frustrating situation either way.

This is the kind of thing that I've worried about since last season. While Howard did an outstanding job of stopping the puck last regular season, he displayed a fair amount of rather glaring weaknesses as well. It makes me think that the more focused attack in the playoffs by other teams and the increasing struggles this year are no coincidence. Howard plays a ton and with rather obvious weaknesses and tendencies, guys are likely figuring out how to more easily score on him. In any event, his December stats are pretty brutal and they weren't any better the second half of November. He really didn't need this game tonight to get 2011 off on the right note.

However, I'm slowly coming back to a similar frustration to one from last year, and it's directed at Babcock. I don't think Jimmy played a terrible game tonight; some weird bounces were really the story. But considering Howard's been on a steady decline since mid-November while showing little sign of the decline really ending, why is he continuing to get starts? Wait, let me rephrase that. Why is Babcock seemingly doing all he can to ensure that Jimmy Howard becomes just another one of the countless one-year wonder goalies who gets lost in the sophomore season slump? Sure, he's winning, but at what cost? He looks less and less confident every game and more and more frustrated and frazzled. This just doesn't make sense to me. If you've got a guy with the talent to be a real-deal pro for awhile, why do all you can to burn him out in 2 seasons? I just don't get it, and as I think about it, I truly am infinitely more frustrated by Babcock's decisions than Howard's play. I certainly want to see Howard improve, but he's not being given the best chance to allow that to happen.

Well, either that or he really was just a one-season wonder. Maybe 5 seasons in Grand Rapids and shaky play there wasn't a fluke after all...it's a frustrating situation either way.

They've edited the piece. The original quote from Hartnell had him talking about how, right before his shift, he was telling "the guys" to just "shoot it on net, I'll go after the rebound and go blocker side, high."

That's funny, if you run a Google search on the words:

I'm going to try to get the rebound and shoot it upstairs on the blocker side," Hartnell

It links to the post game wrap up in tonight's edition of the DetNews. You can even find the quote from Hartnell if you type "The shift before I said just get it on there and I'm going to try to get the rebound and shoot it upstairs on the blocker side," Hartnell ... into the Search bar of the DetNews site, but the quote has been edited out of the actual article.

Edited by Outsider

Guest mjtm77