553 replies to this topic

#21 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:47 AM

Posted Image
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#22 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,753 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

5:00?!

Dammit, I'll still be at work. Oh well, I should catch from the 2nd period on, at least. Go Wings!

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#23 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:07 AM

Im really looking forward to this game. Howard needs to have a great game, and hopefully Mursak and Tartar will make there mark! LGW Posted Image
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#24 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

Goaltending.

#25 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:58 AM

I don't understand why Osgood isn't getting more starts. Right now there is little difference between Howard and Ozzie, except maybe Ozzie is playing a little better. Everyone, including Babcock has wanted to get him going for two years now, and here's the best chance the team will get. Ozzie needs to play more consistently to be of any value down the road.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#26 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

I don't understand why Osgood isn't getting more starts. Right now there is little difference between Howard and Ozzie, except maybe Ozzie is playing a little better. Everyone, including Babcock has wanted to get him going for two years now, and here's the best chance the team will get. Ozzie needs to play more consistently to be of any value down the road.

It's pretty weak to have two goalies with under .910 save percentage, both goalies are pretty bad so not worth arguing who should start.

If the other team gets 30 shots on goal they will have 3goals on that, and many teams will get 30 or more shots against detroit, and you can't expect the offense to put up 4goals+ every game, even though they managed that in plenty of recent games.

Edited by mindfly, 02 January 2011 - 10:24 AM.

#27 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

The Month of January
This is the first of 11 games in the month of January; 4 Home and 7 Road.
The month will consist of:
4 games vs. Division / Conference teams
4 games vs. Non-Division / Conference teams
3 games vs. Non-Division / Non-Conference teams.

Historical Most / Fewest in January
Most
Games: 15 (six times)
Wins: 13 (two times)
Losses: 15

Fewest
Games: 6
Wins: 2 (four times)
Losses: 2 (two times)

Current Streaks
Regular Season Streaks
Overall: 1-game losing streak (overtime)
Home: 1-game losing streak (overtime)

Historical Regular Season Streaks vs. Philadelphia
Overall: 1-game losing streak
Home: 8-game winning streak (1 shutout, 1 overtime); 16-game unbeaten streak (2 ties, 3 overtime, dating back to 01/11/1989)

Last Ten Games
Last Ten Games Current Regular Season
Overall: 5W-4L-1OTL
Home: 5W-4L-1OTL

Last Ten Games - Historical Regular Season vs. Philadelphia
Overall: 6W-4L
Home: 9W-0L-1T

Home Stand / Road Trip
This is the last game of a two-game home stand.

Record on this Date
January 2
This is the 33rd regular season game played on this date. The Club's record in the previous 32 games:

17W-13L-2T.

LGW.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#28 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

I'm goin to this game, first game in like 10 years, what's the best place to park?

sorry if i shouldn't ask in this thread

#29 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

Tonight's Officials
Referees 16-Brian Pochmara & 27-Eric Furlatt Linesmen 47-Dan Schachte & 92-Mark Shewchyk

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#30 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:11 AM

It's pretty weak to have two goalies with under .910 save percentage, both goalies are pretty bad so not worth arguing who should start.

If the other team gets 30 shots on goal they will have 3goals on that, and many teams will get 30 or more shots against detroit, and you can't expect the offense to put up 4goals+ every game, even though they managed that in plenty of recent games.

Save percentage is an AVERAGE. Osgood has not played enough games to even have a statistically meaningful save % and the Wings average less than 30 SA/G.

You should stick to just predicting a loss every game instead of trying to justify it with statistics that you don't understand.

Edited by chrisdetroit, 02 January 2011 - 11:17 AM.

Do or do not. There is no try

#31 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

Save percentage is an AVERAGE. Osgood has not played enough games to even have a statistically meaningful save % and the Wings average less than 30 SA/G.

You should stick to just predicting a loss every game instead of trying to justify it with statistics that you don't understand.

SV% is everything when looking on who's the best GOALIE, everything else is more or less a team statistic.

#32 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

Because Howard is in a little slump and he is the future goalie of the organization. Ozzie wont be our guy going into playoffs and likely wont even be on the team next year. I don't know why so many people think he should start as much as Howard.

I'll be at this game, looking forward to seeing Tatar and Mursak live in action. I hope the wings win.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#33 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:30 AM

Hudler/Filppula(if you have to)+Kindl+Pick for Carey Price, and you wouldn't have to worry about the goaltending situation for over a decade, the kid is only 23 years old.

Edited by mindfly, 02 January 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#34 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

SV% is everything when looking on who's the best GOALIE, everything else is more or less a team statistic.

How is SV% not a team statistic as well? Every shot that a goalie faces is impacted by the rest of his team somehow -- an unscreened wrister from along the boards is a lot different than a breakaway.

As ever, the only way to truly know anything about a player is to watch the games and see for yourself.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#35 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

I'm in Philly for the week and I will be proudly sporting my wings jersey in enemy territory all day!

#36 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

Because Howard is in a little slump and he is the future goalie of the organization. Ozzie wont be our guy going into playoffs and likely wont even be on the team next year. I don't know why so many people think he should start as much as Howard.

I'll be at this game, looking forward to seeing Tatar and Mursak live in action. I hope the wings win.

I can't speak for others, but I would like to see Ozzie have a few more starts because A) Howard needs a bit of rest now and again so he will be fresher for the playoffs and B) if, God forbid, anything happens to Howie, we need Ozzie to be rust-free.

#37 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

Hudler/Filppula(if you have to)+Kindl+Pick for Carey Price, and you wouldn't have to worry about the goaltending situation for over a decade, the kid is only 23 years old.

Price is not even top 10 in any stat other than Wins, not to mention he lets in weaker goals than any other goalie in existence.

#38 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

At first I wondered why we had a half GDT, but then I figured it out.

Go Wings.
  • Nev likes this

#39 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

Heading to the game tomorrow. Sitting in the Holiday Inn Express that's a mile away right now :)

May get a late lunch before the game, any suggestions?

Looking forward to a great game!

Not sure if anyone else agrees, but when i went to the Joe last week for the Canucks game, we went to the Vue...a small place in Cobo hall. Great view of the water and they have a "burger and a beer" deal for 6.95. They are open before and after the game. The Chicken club was great and the location is really convenient. Just a thought! :)
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#40 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

This could be an interesting game because of a so-called weaker Eastern conference hot team playing a hot Western conference team. I DO wish all the players were healthy on both sides to see a true matchup.

I also think Ozzie should be getting more starts. He played so well in his last outing which tells me the little punk rocker is on a roll right now.

Edited by Vladifan, 02 January 2011 - 12:23 PM.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.