• Please log in to reply
553 replies to this topic

#521 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:58 AM

Hate to say it, but the team has been struggling....

Babs needs to play Ozzie... Plain n Simple...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#522 Food Stamps

Food Stamps

Draftee

• 7 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:09 AM

Hate to say it, but the team has been struggling....

Babs needs to play Ozzie... Plain n Simple...

Agreed, Howard has looked mediocre ALL SEASON, and it seems like the team has just lost energy playing in front of him. Lets see if Osgood can climb to top 8th in all time wins in 10-11 games.

#523 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:28 AM

Hartnell made it 3-0 with 5:36 left in the second, beating Howard high on the short side from the bottom of the left circle on a turnaround shot. Hartnell has 10 goals.

"I had a feeling in that situation that the goalie would be down," Hartnell said. "So I just tried to get the puck up."

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=548211

This is the kind of thing that I've worried about since last season. While Howard did an outstanding job of stopping the puck last regular season, he displayed a fair amount of rather glaring weaknesses as well. It makes me think that the more focused attack in the playoffs by other teams and the increasing struggles this year are no coincidence. Howard plays a ton and with rather obvious weaknesses and tendencies, guys are likely figuring out how to more easily score on him. In any event, his December stats are pretty brutal and they weren't any better the second half of November. He really didn't need this game tonight to get 2011 off on the right note.

However, I'm slowly coming back to a similar frustration to one from last year, and it's directed at Babcock. I don't think Jimmy played a terrible game tonight; some weird bounces were really the story. But considering Howard's been on a steady decline since mid-November while showing little sign of the decline really ending, why is he continuing to get starts? Wait, let me rephrase that. Why is Babcock seemingly doing all he can to ensure that Jimmy Howard becomes just another one of the countless one-year wonder goalies who gets lost in the sophomore season slump? Sure, he's winning, but at what cost? He looks less and less confident every game and more and more frustrated and frazzled. This just doesn't make sense to me. If you've got a guy with the talent to be a real-deal pro for awhile, why do all you can to burn him out in 2 seasons? I just don't get it, and as I think about it, I truly am infinitely more frustrated by Babcock's decisions than Howard's play. I certainly want to see Howard improve, but he's not being given the best chance to allow that to happen.

Well, either that or he really was just a one-season wonder. Maybe 5 seasons in Grand Rapids and shaky play there wasn't a fluke after all...it's a frustrating situation either way.

-Elliot

#524 Outsider

Outsider

Quitcha B*tchin' Wings Fans.....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:00 AM

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=548211

This is the kind of thing that I've worried about since last season. While Howard did an outstanding job of stopping the puck last regular season, he displayed a fair amount of rather glaring weaknesses as well. It makes me think that the more focused attack in the playoffs by other teams and the increasing struggles this year are no coincidence. Howard plays a ton and with rather obvious weaknesses and tendencies, guys are likely figuring out how to more easily score on him. In any event, his December stats are pretty brutal and they weren't any better the second half of November. He really didn't need this game tonight to get 2011 off on the right note.

However, I'm slowly coming back to a similar frustration to one from last year, and it's directed at Babcock. I don't think Jimmy played a terrible game tonight; some weird bounces were really the story. But considering Howard's been on a steady decline since mid-November while showing little sign of the decline really ending, why is he continuing to get starts? Wait, let me rephrase that. Why is Babcock seemingly doing all he can to ensure that Jimmy Howard becomes just another one of the countless one-year wonder goalies who gets lost in the sophomore season slump? Sure, he's winning, but at what cost? He looks less and less confident every game and more and more frustrated and frazzled. This just doesn't make sense to me. If you've got a guy with the talent to be a real-deal pro for awhile, why do all you can to burn him out in 2 seasons? I just don't get it, and as I think about it, I truly am infinitely more frustrated by Babcock's decisions than Howard's play. I certainly want to see Howard improve, but he's not being given the best chance to allow that to happen.

Well, either that or he really was just a one-season wonder. Maybe 5 seasons in Grand Rapids and shaky play there wasn't a fluke after all...it's a frustrating situation either way.

They've edited the piece. The original quote from Hartnell had him talking about how, right before his shift, he was telling "the guys" to just "shoot it on net, I'll go after the rebound and go blocker side, high."

That's funny, if you run a Google search on the words:

I'm going to try to get the rebound and shoot it upstairs on the blocker side," Hartnell

It links to the post game wrap up in tonight's edition of the DetNews. You can even find the quote from Hartnell if you type "The shift before I said just get it on there and I'm going to try to get the rebound and shoot it upstairs on the blocker side," Hartnell ... into the Search bar of the DetNews site, but the quote has been edited out of the actual article.

Edited by Outsider, 03 January 2011 - 02:10 AM.

#525 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:15 AM

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=548211

Posted Image

#526 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

Hartnell proves the point I made earlier, Howard is too predictable. I'm tired of seeing him so low on the ice that they score every time over his shoulders or so it takes him forever to get up and over. Howard takes the butterfly just way too far. He needs some retooling to be effective again. In the meantime, put in Ozzie who seems to have gotten his act together and knows how to keep a team in a game.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#527 LULZ_DATSYUK

LULZ_DATSYUK

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

wings need to send howard to that goalie coach they sent ozzie to a couple year ago maybe he will smarten up about playing in his crease.

#528 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

wings need to send howard to that goalie coach they sent ozzie to a couple year ago maybe he will smarten up about playing in his crease.

Detroit needs to trade for a goalie at the trade deadline :thumbup:

#529 LULZ_DATSYUK

LULZ_DATSYUK

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

Detroit needs to trade for a goalie at the trade deadline :thumbup:

I agree, Howard isnt that good right now, maybe prepare for next year.

#530 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

I agree, Howard isnt that good right now, maybe prepare for next year.

And a good no.1 goalie on any team in the nhl might not be for the best either, there are plenty of solid backups in some teams that could excell playing behind the wings D, preferably a good stick-handler who can play the puck to the D and make everything quicker...maybe mathieu garon, jose theodore, martin brion (hey french conncetion) or someone?

Edited by mindfly, 03 January 2011 - 11:58 AM.

#531 LULZ_DATSYUK

LULZ_DATSYUK

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

And a good no.1 goalie on any team in the nhl might not be for the best either, there are plenty of solid backups in some teams that could excell playing behind the wings D, preferably a good stick-handler who can play the puck to the D and make everything quicker...maybe mathieu garon, jose theodore, martin brion (hey french conncetion) or someone?

I would love to see biron or garon in a wing uniform just dont know what it would take to get them.

#532 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

Name me some, please.

Since you believe you are right about everything.

Posted Image

#533 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:09 PM

Name me some, please.

Since you believe you are right about everything.

To Columbus: Hudler+3rd round pick (maybe kindl or some other prospect if they have to)
To Detroit: Garon

I think colbums can ride with Mason and pick up another one from their farm team.

Edited by mindfly, 03 January 2011 - 12:10 PM.

#534 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

Leighton just put up on waivers... he could probably look better than howard behind the detroit team..but he is pretty mediocre..

#535 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

Leighton just put up on waivers... he could probably look better than howard behind the detroit team..but he is pretty mediocre..

To you, every goalie in the league looks better than any and all goalies the wings have, have had or ever will have.

In fact, that probably goes for the skaters too.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#536 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

Agreed, Howard has looked mediocre ALL SEASON

Posted Image

#537 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

This place gets irrational real quick when the Wings lose. Newsflash, the Wings are not trading for a goaltender. What they would get in return would be a pittance to what they would have to give up. All players go through rough patches during the season, even the goalie. It is only Howard's second year so of course there are going to be some things that are not perfect. Few goalies come into the league and dominant from beginning to end. Give Jimmy some time on the bench and let Ozzie take a few games here.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!, 03 January 2011 - 02:03 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#538 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

To Columbus: Hudler+3rd round pick (maybe kindl or some other prospect if they have to)
To Detroit: Garon

I think colbums can ride with Mason and pick up another one from their farm team.

So we send a division rival a young, top-6 skilled forward who is just picking up his game back to where it belongs, a highly rated young defenseman, and a 3rd round pick all for just a 32 year old backup goalie?

Stuff like this is why you are a joke mindfly.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#539 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

So we send a division rival a young, top-6 skilled forward who is just picking up his game back to where it belongs, a highly rated young defenseman, and a 3rd round pick all for just a 32 year old backup goalie?

Stuff like this is why you are a joke mindfly.

Well you can probably get him for just a pick but they might want more if its from a divisional rival.

#540 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

It is embarassing to see how quick so many of you are to throw Howard under the bus. He is going through a rough patch but remember this is only his 2nd full season in the league, I would suggest he still has alot to learn but he has been brilliant for us over the last season and a half and to even suggest trading for another goalie is just absurd. Oh and Mindfly you are like driving by a bad car accident. I cant hit the ignore button with you because I can't wait to see how retarded your next post is.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"