Is Basketball a Canadian sport?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 MrWings787

MrWings787

Prospect

• 49 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:35 AM

I got in argument with some one over which was a better sport hockey or basketball , and his reason that basketball was better is because it is American but I'm pretty sure it's Canadian. Do you guys know whether baskball is Canadian or American?

#2 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:39 AM

the inventor James Naismith was born in Canada so technically yes it is. whats mindboggling is there is only 1 canadian nba team.

#3 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:00 AM

it was invented by a canadian
first played by americans
played predominantly by americans throughout its history

#4 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:08 AM

If you are proud of watching a sport in which a majority of the players have been convicted of a felony, then keep watching the NBA.

Edited by Vladiator, 02 January 2011 - 02:09 AM.

#5 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:08 AM

If basketball is Canadian, then hockey is British. In fact, if we're going based on place of origin, hockey would still be British.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#6 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:12 AM

If you are proud of watching a sport in which a majority of the players have been convicted of a felony, then keep watching the NBA.

What.......?

Posted Image

#7 dicksmack

dicksmack

Tunnel bus to the Joe!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:02 AM

What.......?

Say What.......? fixed it for ya...
Finally someone that can post with actually integrity, nice to see. :thumbup: --Carman

#8 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:08 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#9 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

Basketball was invented by a Canadian (Naismith) in order to give athletes something to stay in shape during the winter. Naismith studied at Mcgill but the game was first played in America. I personally wouldn't say its American or Canadian but it is more American I guess.

And Eva get informed bud, hockey is not British at all regardless of how you swing it. Hockey is Canadian through and through nice try though.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#10 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why it being American vs. Canadian has any impact on whether it is a better sport or not......confused.

#11 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:49 AM

If basketball is Canadian, then hockey is British. In fact, if we're going based on place of origin, hockey would still be British.

Has that ever really been established? Seems like there's a bunch of different places that claim to be the birthplace of hockey.

#12 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,578 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

Basketball was invented by a Canadian (Naismith) in order to give athletes something to stay in shape during the winter. Naismith studied at Mcgill but the game was first played in America. I personally wouldn't say its American or Canadian but it is more American I guess.

And Eva get informed bud, hockey is not British at all regardless of how you swing it. Hockey is Canadian through and through nice try though.

The most common story I've heard for the invention of hockey is it being started by the British, and ice hockey being originated by British soldiers stationed in Canada, so it's not unfounded to say it's British. Other stories involve it starting as a Scottish game, others say theres evidence of it being played in Egypt centuries ago.

The origins of hockey aren't just Canadian.

#13 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

The most common story I've heard for the invention of hockey is it being started by the British, and ice hockey being originated by British soldiers stationed in Canada, so it's not unfounded to say it's British. Other stories involve it starting as a Scottish game, others say theres evidence of it being played in Egypt centuries ago.

Actual Ice Hockey as we know it is Canadian. There have been plenty of ball and stick games played over the course of time, there is evidence in egypt of ball and stick games, as well as in the UK they played a similar game called Banty. British soldiers did play it but did not invent it.

I just did a project this semester at University about it so thats why I really see it as Canadian. To say anything different is misinformed really. The British had games very similar to it but Hockey is Canadian.

Saying Basketball is Canadian is not nearly the same as saying hockey is British. A Canadian that studied in Canada invented basketball, so it is not wrong to say it is Canadian. I would say its a little bit of both but thats just me.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#14 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why it being American vs. Canadian has any impact on whether it is a better sport or not......confused.

True enough... :thumbup:
thats like suggesting Soccer is purely British.

#15 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

Actual Ice Hockey as we know it is Canadian. There have been plenty of ball and stick games played over the course of time, there is evidence in egypt of ball and stick games, as well as in the UK they played a similar game called Banty. British soldiers did play it but did not invent it.

I just did a project this semester at University about it so thats why I really see it as Canadian. To say anything different is misinformed really. The British had games very similar to it but Hockey is Canadian.

Saying Basketball is Canadian is not nearly the same as saying hockey is British. A Canadian that studied in Canada invented basketball, so it is not wrong to say it is Canadian. I would say its a little bit of both but thats just me.

From what I've always heard, Ice Hockey was 'invented' by British soldiers as an adaptation of a game played by native Canadian tribes. But it's still a Canadian sport.

Basketball was invented in America, first gained popularity in America, and until recently played almost exclusively by Americans. It is an American sport.

The inventor was Canadian (though he did later become an American citizen), the sport isn't.

Or we can just make it simple and say all games are African.

#16 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

Has that ever really been established? Seems like there's a bunch of different places that claim to be the birthplace of hockey.

the HHOF recognizes holland i believe iirc. Canada invented the modern form of it, but the original skates and sticks game was invented in the netherlands
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#17 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

If Canadians heard this they'd be horrified and there'd be nothing to live for :lol:! According to Canadians, hockey was started in Windsor Nova Scotia.

Birthplace of Hockey?

I assume all our sports were brought over, in one form or another, from Europeans, and then perfected by North Americans :cool:
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#18 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

Here is the real question: who cares?

Posted Image

#19 mroepke5

mroepke5

Helm for the Hatty

• 36 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

I thought basketball was African...

"And for the team, I always tried to do the right thing."

Steve "The Captain" Yzerman

#20 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

The origins of hockey are that Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews invented it in 2008 as a winter sport, but only to keep them in shape for their summertime activity of "keeping their core together." Who knew?